A Question for S&W 442/642 & LCR Carriers

This is a discussion on A Question for S&W 442/642 & LCR Carriers within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I agree that the J-frame revolvers are a lot for some to handle. When you add in the lightweight versions, accuracy can challenge those individuals ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: A Question for S&W 442/642 & LCR Carriers

A Question for S&W 442/642 & LCR Carriers

I agree that the J-frame revolvers are a lot for some to handle. When you add in the lightweight versions, accuracy can challenge those individuals even more.

I carry the same scandium 360pd as above (sans the CT), And I can tell you that with practice these revolvers are not only fun to shoot but handle incredibly well. Although there are no doubt many better shooters tonight, I have no trouble hitting a 6"x6" target at 20 yards. And almost every scenario, one will not likely have to take a shot at that distance, but as the original post notes, there may be some scenarios where one might need a very accurate shot.

I encourage everyone, especially the OP, to own one of these small, lightweight revolvers. Although it may not be your choice for every day carry, there are many days where there is no more comfortable option. I trust my life with one and have no doubts that my ammunition choice is up to the task.

Practice with them every time you go to the range. .38 ammo is not expensive! Move up to .357 when/if you are ready.

I carry DoubleTap (short-bbl, low-flash) 110gr .357 @ ~1475fps.

2. Remove Ads

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    I have carried a SW model 36 as my only carry gun for many years. I can shoot it, but honestly it is designed for only one purpose- self-defense at very close range as a last-ditched measure. I would only use it in a theater or something of that sort in absolute desperation. It is not a service arm, and it is not easy to even imagine the scenario the poster mentioned. This is an example, I believe, of the fact that some concealed license holders, like me, cannot really perform the role of the police or provide general security. Of course I would try if things were terrible- that is a moral imperative.
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Quote Originally Posted by chiefs-special-guy View Post
    I have carried a SW model 36 as my only carry gun for many years. I can shoot it, but honestly it is designed for only one purpose- self-defense at very close range as a last-ditched measure. I would only use it in a theater or something of that sort in absolute desperation. It is not a service arm, and it is not easy to even imagine the scenario the poster mentioned. This is an example, I believe, of the fact that some concealed license holders, like me, cannot really perform the role of the police or provide general security. Of course I would try if things were terrible- that is a moral imperative.
    Exactly!
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

Just sit closer! Last movie I went to (The Hobbit, it was great btw). We ended up sitting 3rd row up in the middle. Don't own an EDC yet so I was carrying my pops Taurus 817 with 130gr win pdx1 +p's and he his Makarov. Felt very comfortable with my sight line and distance of the exit door/front aisle.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I have the LCR and the LCP both with Crimson Trace lasers and at more than 50 ft would be pushing it to the limit for me, but I have done no target practice in the dark since I left Vietnam. I use the LCR and LCP as a BUG not as my primary.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

I can shoot my lcr 357 pretty accurately up to about 25 yards. But in middle of movie theater the place better be near empty. If i was going to engage someone from middle to front or rear of theater. To many risks involved firing a gun at those didtances in a crowded theater.
    Every saint has a past
    Every sinner has a future
    Carrying since 2013
    NRA member since 2013

Let me give you a real number you can work with. Most rooms in almost any business will not be large enough to prevent accurate combat hits. In other words 95% of all gun battles happen under the distance of about 21-30 feet this gun is deadly effective. Now, we practice with ours and I also own both an LCR357 and LCR22 by Ruger. Which is really a better solution if you want to buy a pair of identical guns and practice with the 22 and carry the 357 using both 38+P ammo, and the full magnums in some cases. Now that we have worked on our skills with 1000s of rounds I can stand and hit a whole plate rack of steels at 20 yards without missing almost every time. I can lay clay targets on a berm at 25 yards and hit the clay within 2 shots and land all the rest within an inch or two. In fact I just ran a convenience store robbery simulation stage with my 442 last week if you want to see the results. ALso a home invasion drill. Many of these shots are cold and first run with longer distances than you are worried about yet I can even take head shots with confidence. I also place a lot of no shoot (innocents) targets all around the bad guys so we are constantly practicing with all guns we own interchangeably. When I put down a 4" - 4.5" inch barrel pistol and begin shooting the snubbie I usually get the exact same results now. Most people have a mental block shooting with shorter guns and their lack of practice with the trigger and dry fire is the real issue, but they BLAME the short barrel. A snubbie often just reveals how little people actually practice. The revolver is also perfect for point shooting if you work on that art.

Store robbery drill with Jframe
    Store Robbery Drill with J-FRAME Model 442 - YouTube

Home invasion drill with long shots
    Home Invasion Drill - JFRAME S&W 442 38+P - YouTube

I can't hit 8" steel targets at 50 yards quite reliably with my 642. How that translates to a moving target under stress is another matter, but people don't give J-frames enough credit for their potential accuracy.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

CJM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cook74 View Post
    The only reason I would need to use my CC (442 or 642) in a theater is self defense and protection of family members.

I see no reason to attract some bad guy with probably a bigger weapon. That would put my family and others around me in extreme danger. John Wayne is dead and I am no John Wayne. But to protect family, no problem and I will deal with those consequences then...

I don't practice enough to be the bad a$$ in a theater shoot out.

How many theater shootings are there anyway?

Probably more dangerous walking around in a thunderstorm with a CC and getting hit by lightening then being confronted with a BG in the theater...
    LOL, keep up the defeatist mindset, I'm sure it will serve you well if you ever find your self in a conflict.

I've got a 649, so single action shooting is an option. From 25 yards, hitting a human sized target single action is pretty easy. Double action...probably isn't going to happen with MY shooting. If nothing else, getting a good shot double action would take me longer than just cocking and shooting SA.

If I thought running away was an option, I'd try that. But if I needed to cover my family, then I'd try a single action shot in the chest. Try to conceal myself, cock, and shoot.

VIP Member
    It is a close in defensive weapon with limitations. Most often the limiting factor is the operator. Really depends on the shooter, the distance, bystanders in the line of fire, and the backstop.

In my experience, and opinion... These "J" frame guns, and any snubby's are NOT! made for shooting at any real distance. Not saying that it's not possible... with enough practice they can be fairly accurate. They are made for the up close, and personal experience. Some time ago someone coined them to be belly guns. Poke your adversary in the belly and pull the trigger. I personally call them "get the flock up off me " guns. Their size, and configuration work's best at physical contact distances.

With the proper training and practice most people can be very capable with a snubby. But make no mistake.. Fighting with a snubby revolver is very much different than fighting with a service sized revolver, or with any size pistol.(autoloader)
    SIXTO likes this.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    J frame revolvers are typically known as "belly guns", which means that they are typically for encounters within 20 feet or less. Nonetheless, with practice one can become very accurate at distances of up to 70-80 yards. A laser will most definitely assist in the process, but I think that it can be done with just practice. In the case you mentioned of stopping a movie theater shooter, I think that the most important is that these shooters don't expect to be shot back by their victims so as soon as they start hearing shots and bullets coming their way, they will most likely retreat or run away. Also, I would prefer to have at least a J frame to defend myself than having nothing.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

One thing to keep in mind with (for example ) the CT on my 438 is that it is zeroed for 21 feet .... at that hypothetical theater shot of say 75 feet your laser on target is going to place the round well to the right and low of of aim point....even if you have practiced that distance "guessing" where to place the laser dot would be tough....

Administrator
    Snubs certainly can be effective in just about any self defense circumstance. Sure, I'd take a full size over a snub if I knew I was going to a gun fight, but that is not always practical.
    The tough thing about snub shooting is the cold hard fact that they are harder to shoot. They take a little
    more skill and discipline. But, they do lend themselves to instinctive shooting very nicely- which brings me to another fallacy I've seen mentioned here a few times. The barrel length has nothing to do with the accuracy at the distances we are discussing. It's more about sight radius, and very few snubs have decent sights on them. Put that in the OPs scenario of a darkened theater, stress etc, and that spells trouble if you cannot instinctive shoot that snub.
    ctr and Secret Spuk like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links