A Question for S&W 442/642 & LCR Carriers

This is a discussion on A Question for S&W 442/642 & LCR Carriers within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The barrel length on these hand guns are 1.875". This makes accurate shooting more difficult especially in longer range situations. For instance if you were ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: A Question for S&W 442/642 & LCR Carriers

The barrel length on these hand guns are 1.875". This makes accurate shooting more difficult especially in longer range situations. For instance if you were in that theater where that gunman started shooting and were sitting in the middle to back sections. What do you believe your percentage would be for getting round in the targets chest? Taking into consideration the adrenalin that would be released from the realization of the situation you are in.

The reason I am asking is that I am seriously thinking about getting a S&W 642.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

A snub of any kind is difficult to shoot accurately at longer distances for the reasons you state above. Many go with a Crimson Trace laser grip or something similar to assist. I've pocket carried a 642 for years (mostly as my primary), and don't have a laser (just never picked one up, but nothing against them). I practice dumping the cylinder into COM at 5, 7, and 15 yards when at the range, and do all my reloads at the range from speed strips rather than just pulling them from the box and loading the cylinder. I do work on longer range, more aimed shots at a quicker pace in the last 6 months or so.

The bigger concession I've made is going back to a full size pistol and spare mag as my primary carry (XD-40 IWB with a spare mag -- 25 rds total).

The 642 is a great gun, but it does take some practice (and that's the fun part anyway...).

Cheers!
    sensei2 likes this.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Well all I can say is that our CWP instructor said of these short barreled guns that they were "up your nose guns".

However ... I can hit CM pretty consistently with my LCR .38 Sp. from 12 yards. Beyond that at a moving target,
    forget it. The recoil on the S&W 642 was too harsh for meand I sold it in favor of the LCR.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Odds? I have no idea. But in many, maybe not all, these cowardly shooters will duck and run (or eat their own) when the first bullet whizzes past their ears, much less hit COM.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
    The barrel length on these hand guns are 1.875". This makes accurate shooting more difficult especially in longer range situations. For instance if you were in that theater where that gunman started shooting and were sitting in the middle to back sections. What do you believe your percentage would be for getting round in the targets chest? Taking into consideration the adrenalin that would be released from the realization of the situation you are in.

The reason I am asking is that I am seriously thinking about getting a S&W 642.
    Not great, but better than if you were unarmed.
    kmagnuss and JDE101 like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

The only reason I would need to use my CC (442 or 642) in a theater is self defense and protection of family members.

I see no reason to attract some bad guy with probably a bigger weapon. That would put my family and others around me in extreme danger. John Wayne is dead and I am no John Wayne. But to protect family, no problem and I will deal with those consequences then...

I don't practice enough to be the bad a$$ in a theater shoot out.

How many theater shootings are there anyway?

Probably more dangerous walking around in a thunderstorm with a CC and getting hit by lightening then being confronted with a BG in the theater...
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Distinguished Member
    In the dark, in a theater, from 30 to 50 feet. Chances of any hit would be slim with that weapon. I have a 642 I pocket carry, and there is definitely a learning curve to accurately shooting it. I am not there yet, but with more practice I hope to get better. This is a close-in weapon. I do like the 642 and would recommend it. Just my opinion. I am sure there are people here who can shoot really great with one at those ranges.
    sensei2 likes this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

These are handy guns for carry for use at up close and personal distances. Better than nothing but not ideal for nailing a threat across a crowded theater.

the LCR and S&W j-Frames were designed for up close self defense,not for long distance shooting.they work very well for what they were designed for.
    Secret Spuk likes this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cook74 View Post
    The only reason I would need to use my CC (442 or 642) in a theater is self defense and protection of family members.

I see no reason to attract some bad guy with probably a bigger weapon. That would put my family and others around me in extreme danger. John Wayne is dead and I am no John Wayne. But to protect family, no problem and I will deal with those consequences then...

I don't practice enough to be the bad a$$ in a theater shoot out.

How many theater shootings are there anyway?

Probably more dangerous walking around in a thunderstorm with a CC and getting hit by lightening then being confronted with a BG in the theater...
    So you have no intention of going down fighting?
    BkCo1 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    These are handy guns for carry for use at up close and personal distances. Better than nothing but not ideal for nailing a threat across a crowded theater.
    ^Boom^^^^^^^Nailed it^

I would add that if I were close enough when the shooting begins, IE;
    5 yrds. away I would attempt to take them out.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

VIP Member
    Y'all need to practice. Snubbys are capable of some pretty accurate shooting - if the shooter is. There was a thread here not too long ago where some people, myself included, were claiming some pretty good results with snubbys Snubbie Accuracy It is possible that not everyone was telling it as it is, but I doubt all of us were lying. If you practice with a snubby, they are fine for distances in a movie theater. The better question is have you replaced the sights with sights you can see. I have a big dot night sight on my 640. Some day I may have the 642 milled for one as well.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybm View Post
    Well all I can say is that our CWP instructor said of these short barreled guns that they were "up your nose guns".
    Hey Dangerfield: If you are thinking about the scenario in your thread, you are looking at the wrong firearm. As Jay says in above quote--this firearm is a short personal defense firearm. It serves its purpose very well but one of them is not worrying about shooting across part of a theatre, unless the shooter is 2 or 3 seats away from you.

Ex Member
    This is my pocket gun. 11 ounces, .357 caliber, Crimson Trace laser. YES it is very hard to hit at distance with one BUT that's where the laser comes in. Every range trip I practice a few max distance, 75 feet, and while the first times it is tough to hit, in nothing flat you will EASILY make hits.

I carry a S&W 360 in 357 mag. It has a 1 7/8" barrel & it is definitely not a range gun or a long range gun. It is, however, designed for close quarters use and serves that purpose beautifully.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links