Help - need examples of mass shootings prevented

This is a discussion on Help - need examples of mass shootings prevented within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been in an ongoing argument with some people for a few weeks. And I mentioned that there have been mass shootings stopped/prevented by ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Help - need examples of mass shootings prevented

I have been in an ongoing argument with some people for a few weeks. And I mentioned that there have been mass shootings stopped/prevented by armed civilians. I know because I've seen them discussed here and I've seen them in the news over the years. The trouble is, they do not create nearly the news sensation that a successful mass shooting creates and thus kind of fade into the shadows after a few days and are hard to locate. Does anyone have any examples I can use where a person was going to kill many people and was stopped. Preferably with a link to a news story or wikipedia entry or something I can use as proof.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

2. Remove Ads

It's recently come to light that the Oregon Mall shooter reportedly committed suicide shortly after being confronted by an armed mall patron:

Media blackout: Oregon mall shooter was stopped by an armed citizen
    LEOSA Qualified: Semi-auto and revolver.

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    Here's another one. New Life Church Shooting.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...55534169,d.b2I
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Joel Myrick, Pearl Mississippi Vice Principal. The school's assistant principal, Joel Myrick, retrieved a .45 pistol from his truck and, spotting him near the parking lot, shouted for Woodham to stop. Woodham instead got into a his mother's car and tried to escape. Myrick, a US Army Reserve commander, detained Woodham until authorities arrived.

Pearl High School shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mark Wilson, Tyler Texas courthouse. Stopped shooter from killing his son, drew fire away from LEOs, made multiple hits on gunman before being killed himself, caused gunman to withdraw, was subsequently killed by police after a car chase.

Mark Alan Wilson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Appalachian School of Law shooting

The Bad Guy was reloading when confronted by 3 men, 2 of which had their own firearms.
    Almost all of the media simply report that the 3 jumped him, when in fact, when confronted with armed resistence, he gave up and then they jumped on him and sat on him until police arrived.

I take issue with the phrase "mass shooting".

"Mass" is defined as a considerable number

"Considerable" is defined as large or great

"Great" is defined as highly significant

One person being gunned down by an evil person is a Highly Significant Shooting.

Anytime an evil person shoots a gun, it is a "mass shooting" because it is always a Highly Significant Shooting regardless of the quantity of life that is lost as a result of the actions of evil people.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    I take issue with the phrase "mass shooting".

"Mass" is defined as a considerable number
    Typically I've seen it defined as 3 or more in the same setting.

The problem with gun control is that drugs are already illegal.

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    The fact that there hasn't been a lot just means we need more people carrying.

Jim
    ep1953 likes this.

from...An opinion on gun control Monster Hunter Nation

The average number of people shot in a mass shooting event when the shooter is stopped by law enforcement: 14. The average number of people shot in a mass shooting event when the shooter is stopped by civilians: 2.5. The reason is simple. The armed civilians are there when it started.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-.../2969594/posts

http://www.matchdoctor.com/blog_1447...SHOOTINGS.html
    http://conservativehideout.com/2012/...armed-citizen/

It is hard to demonstrate something that did not occur. The best we can often get is ones that had the potential to be worse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I believe I read that a "mass shooting" involves four or more victims per FBI definition. Could be wrong. As to how many have been prevented, I agree. It's hard to estimate things that did not happen.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

This guy was well armed, determined, and going into a church with a large congregation to start shooting... he never made it all of the way inside where services were being held.

Security guard who stopped shooter credits God - CNN.com

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado (CNN) -- "It seemed like it was me, the gunman, and God," said Jeanne Assam, describing her feelings as she confronted a man who charged into her Colorado Springs church Sunday firing a weapon.

Assam, a church security guard with law enforcement experience, fired her own weapon at the invader and stopped his attack, police say.

Police on Monday identified the gunman as Matthew Murray and said he was also responsible for an attack earlier Sunday at a missionary center some 80 miles away.

The two incidents left four people dead, in addition to the gunman, and five wounded.

Police said forensic evidence showed a positive match between a handgun found at the church and shell casings found at the missionary center in Arvada, a suburb of Denver.

Later in the article :
    Police said Monday he had an assault rifle and two handguns, and may have had as many as 1,000 rounds of ammunition.

He fired on a family who were in or near their car. Two sisters, identified by police as Rachael Works, 16, and Stephanie Works, 18, were killed, and their father, David Works, 51, was also shot and is hospitalized in fair condition with two gunshot wounds.

Murray then entered the church, police say, where Assam was one of several volunteer security guards on duty.

"I saw him coming through the doors," she told reporters on Monday. "I took cover, and I waited for him to get closer, and I came out of cover and identified myself, and engaged him, and took him down. And that's pretty much it."
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I think there was one at the premier of The Hobbit. The guy that stopped him was an off duty cop, but still applies if you ask me.

The problem is, they stopped the shooting, so it never achieved the "mass shooting" status, and therefore never got the media coverage, so it is hard to hear about them.
    Walk softly ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links