Coming Home to a Home Invasion - Page 2

Coming Home to a Home Invasion

This is a discussion on Coming Home to a Home Invasion within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As has been said before, my family first. The BG's will be dipatched with extreme prejudice, and I will reload. In my house you play ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    As has been said before, my family first. The BG's will be dipatched with extreme prejudice, and I will reload. In my house you play by my rules. Don't like my rules? Stay the hell out.

The police can be called after the all clear. They can bring a couple of bags and tags with them when they come.

Edit...

In a situation like this, I would have no problem shooting a man in the back, either. One to the head and then to the body if clear.
    Last edited by purple88yj; October 17th, 2006 at 12:45 PM. Reason: One other thing to mention...

I agree with not leaving family alone. If I were to leave to the house next door and they were killed I don't think I could ever live with myself so there's no way I would ever consider leaving my family alone with them if I was armed. Like someone said, call 1911.

Now was the "man" coming home armed or unarmed? Either way I wouldn't leave either, wait and make your move. Don't leave the family behind. Luckily nobody was hurt.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    If it were me, I would be coming home armed. I know that if one arrives in the middle of a situation, it's easy to make a mistake---is that a kidnapper dragging the kid into the van, or a guardian taking his kid to a dental appointment?

Arriving in my home in the middle of this one, however, simplifies the situation. I am shooting. The BGs may kill me, they may kill my family, but I would consider for me that any other action on my part would be to cooperate with those who would murder my family or me.

I am not saying this is the only right way to handle it, just that it's the only right way for me.

First, arm and train your wife so that she know's exactly what to do. Next, you know your home and I would have definitely did what I had to do then called the cops.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Call the cops after the smoke settles.

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)
    For all of you who say "Call the cops after the smoke settles" here is a thought: You make entry and are injured or something else happens and you are unable to eliminate the threat, wouldn’t you want the cavalry on the way?

It will not take very long to call 911 and say "multiple armed home invaders have taken my family hostage at (insert your address here) this is (insert your name here) I am the homeowner I am armed and am going inside, again the address is (insert you address here) it is located near (insert a landmark or intersection) Send all available units" This being said calmly and as clearly as you can in the situation (remember to repeat the address) should only take about 30-40 seconds including the time needed to make the call and have it answered. Make sure to include all the information as it will give the police the info needed to get units rolling.

DON'T HANG UP, 911 will try to call you back. All you need to do is have your cell phone ring while you are trying to sneak up on the BG. Also if you leave the phone on, the dispatcher can hear what is going on, so if something goes wrong they can hear it and relay the info to the officers on the scene. I am not saying to keep it in your hand, just put it back in your pocket or even your now empty holster.

In addition, making entry and trying to eliminate the BGs (this is what we are all planning to do) should only take 1-3 minutes to complete without any complications. I doubt the police would be there in that amount of time anyway.

I don't care what any of you think, 1-3 minutes is A LONG TIME when you are in a stressful situation and AN ETERNITY if you are under fire. If anything goes wrong, and it most likely will with 2 BGs, you will LOVE to hear the sounds of the sirens coming.
    "Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud..."
    -Jeff Cooper, "The Art of the Rifle"

Quote Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
    I don't care what any of you think, 1-3 minutes is A LONG TIME when you are in a stressful situation and AN ETERNITY if you are under fire. If anything goes wrong, and it most likely will with 2 BGs, you will LOVE to hear the sounds of the sirens coming.
    Actually I see your point.

The only problem with it is that if you dial 911 on a cell phone and don't hang up, they are recording everything that goes on. This could be good or bad I guess. It seems to me that Lawyers will use the tape on both sides to prove you innocent and guilty.

Guess i just don't trust system.......

Lew
    Cell phones... I put mine on vibrate only a long time ago. I like to blend into a crowd and be the "ordinary man" that no one really remembers... a ringing cell phone in any environment will have people turning and looking at you. I always carry the phone in the same place and have become attuned to its vibration. That and if they really want to talk to me they will leave a voice mail, if they don't then they weren't worth talking too....

I would first wonder why the wife hadn't shot them already. Then I would try to verify the "at gun point" so to rule out LEO's in the home.

If they really are bad guys, and I trust that I will know them as such when the time came, they would not leave the house alive. I would take the moment to gather my center. Focus the will, and direct the inner demon to commit his rathfull violence.
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

Call 911 if possible, grab the M4-gery, and apply the MOUT training Uncle Sam gave me... Can you say "Castle Doctrine".

Sure would be nice to have a shottie in the vehicle in this situation. Same model as the one under the bed, perhaps? Or maybe a cute little rifle? Is it legal to snipe the badguys through the window if you're trying to save your family?

My house sits 3/10ths of a mile off the road, surrounded by trees and no neighbors. It's good and bad. Tons of privacy but also presents an opportunity for a BG to get into my house unseen.

One saving grace is that the driveway is soooo long that a BG could not flee very easily if someone started driving up the driveway. Only one way in and out of my property (unless on foot) because of ravines, trees, etc. and there are a couple of places where I could park a car and literally prevent another vehicle from fleeing without trying to crash through my car.

I have to admit that it crosses my mind quite often when I come home. Will there be a "strange car" parked outside my house?

What would I do? If the family is in the car with me - no problem. I have a nice little trail leading through the woods to a neighbor's house. I park the car blocking escape, send the family down the path, and call Officer Friendly while I watch from a distance.

If the family is in the house? You can see someone driving up the driveway from a long way away so my chances of getting to the house without being seen neccesitate me being on foot.

Do I block the driveway to prevent the BGs escaping in this case? That would also prevent the response from my 911 call from getting closer to the house.

Do I get out on foot and hike through the ravines and come up behind the house where I have a super secret side door that opens into my office and is not readily known from inside the house? That would take 10 minutes and doesn't exactly fit the "protecting my family" model. More like hunting bad guys.

I can think of no good way to liberate my family and keep everybody safe in this situation. I can assume that the Scum are there to hurt my family and play Stormin' Norman by kicking in the door and hope for the best but I would always second guess my actions if things went badly.

Sorry so long but this is a situation that I wrestle with.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Quote Originally Posted by jowgafist View Post
    Now was the "man" coming home armed or unarmed? Either way I wouldn't leave either, wait and make your move. Don't leave the family behind. Luckily nobody was hurt.
    The man was not armed. And for those of you that have said that you would have "surveyed" the situation before you entered, that's not applicable -- the man "stumbled" upon the BGs in one of the rooms in the house. The "getaway" vehicle was parked on the street behind the involved house and nothing was astray with the house. The man entered, started going to that particular room when the BGs and the man saw each other. He ran out the front door.

Luckily, the BGs left shortly thereafter and didn't harm the wife and children to "eliminate any witnesses". There were approximately 2 BGs that were holding the wife and children at gunpoint and 1-2 in other parts of the house. As far as I know, only 2 of the BGs were armed. There were also 2-3 BGs in the getaway car and at least one of them was armed. One of the BGs inside the house was armed with a shotgun or rifle of some sort.

Edit! As for 9-1-1, yes, we will call you back. If you leave the line open, the recorder is going to record the entire situation. In this particular case, if the man had a cellphone (which he did not) this agency could locate his cellphone using GPS and would've found the house. Also in this case, the original report by the man was a robbery (did not mention guns) that was currently happening which makes it a top-priority over many other calls. This means that the police would have been going with lights and sirens. Standardly this would mean about 3-4 police cars. The man later mentioned that they were armed which upgraded it to at least 10-15 cars all responding.

Always remember to report all the facts of the incident that you know of, especially when weapons are involved. If it had been me I would have left for an advantage on the BGs, but not left the scene. I would have called 9-1-1 with a very short statement: "Armed robbery at 123 My House St, multiple subjects holding my wife and 2 children at gunpoint, I am armed and am entering the house." I would leave my cellphone outside with the line open. The recording would pretty much only register any shots fired and maybe any loud commands I would give. Other than that, it's my word against 2-4 dead people in my house that don't belong there with guns.

Cheers.
    Last edited by soundwave; October 18th, 2006 at 06:59 PM. Reason: added more

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Soundwave, I recall your mentioning earlier that you were not able to release all details. If possible, could you tell us how long was the interval between when the 911 call began and when the police actually arrived? Thanks.

Well I guess I could look that up when I go back to work (on days off currently). The thing I'm really trying to avoid is mentioning what happened afterwards. I can tell you that a majority of the BGs were later found (still unknown the exact number of BGs) but beyond what happened after they left I'm not able to say because that's the part that gained huge attention.

From what I remember, the closest LEOs responding went into the immediate area rather than the house because (if I remember right) either the husband or the wife called and said they all left and gave the description of the vehicle(s). I'll try to see what I can come up with, though.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by katmandoo122 View Post
    I WOULD try to call 911 first. If I fail, I wouldn't want my family dead because I was too quick to act. If I take one, there's a chance that the responders will stop the BGs (hopefully one left at most) or create a workable standoff that my family will get through.

I would NOT listen to the 911 tell me not to enter, but simply inform him/her of the facts and that the owner of the house is armed and entering.

Of course, if it looked like things were going to go down and I did not have the time or opportunity for the call, I would survey briefly, take 10 seconds to calm myself, and enter.

Not a good situation though.

Yeah, that. I'm going in if they've got my wife, but I'm getting some law enforcement on the way too so that the BGs aren't going to get away even if I don't succeed in taking them down before the cops arrive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links