Coming Home to a Home Invasion

This is a discussion on Coming Home to a Home Invasion within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would have posted the actual article from one of the news agencies, but because of the investigation (and for revealing who I work for) ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coming Home to a Home Invasion

Coming Home to a Home Invasion

I would have posted the actual article from one of the news agencies, but because of the investigation (and for revealing who I work for) I can't put the rest of what happened afterwards on here because this part wasn't made public (or at least yet). Remember: This actually happened today.

You come home (presumably from work) and find that your wife and two children under 5 years old are being held at gunpoint by two armed men. What do you do?

The man that was actually involved left the home to a house nearby and called 9-1-1. Shortly after he discovered the men in his house with his family, the home invaders left the scene.

I'm only posting this little bit and leaving it way open because that is truly all the information you have in such a situation.

Cheers.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    I will not leave my family behind.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

the intruder does not know you are there? Then it is a given after you call 911 shoot the BG, no warning, no drop your gun, Nada your family is in severe danger of being killed you take any shot and terminate the first BG immediately, the second will then focus on you and you can finish what you started, no hesitation just act.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by soundwave View Post
    being held at gunpoint by two armed men.
    That throws some stuff in the game! 911 first, then you just about have to take some time to carefully assess the situation, especially the position of the two men to reduce any risk to the minimum.

Since there are two men there is nothing you can do with out risk.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Totally agree with Sheldon except for one small point....

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    the intruder does not know you are there? Then it is a given after you call 911 shoot the BG, no warning, no drop your gun, Nada your family is in severe danger of being killed you take any shot and terminate the first BG immediately, the second will then focus on you and you can finish what you started, no hesitation just act.
    Agree 100% except make the 911 call AFTER the smoke clears and you've made sure the threat is neutralized. I wouldn't leave my family in harm's way for an instant. I don't want to be distracted in the dialing process as it takes me out of my game and I don't want to be fumbling around with the frickin' phone.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Agree 100% except make the 911 call AFTER the smoke clears and you've made sure the threat is neutralized. I wouldn't leave my family in harm's way for an instant. I don't want to be distracted in the dialing process as it takes me out of my game and I don't want to be fumbling around with the frickin' phone.
    Agree with Ex.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)
    If I can make the 911 call I will. Then it has a lot to do with the situation. One this is for sure, I WILL NOT LEAVE MY FAMILY BEHIND!

If I have access to other parts of my house and am able to gain access to better firearms like my Mossberg 500 Persuader or a second handgun (as a backup, or to give to my wife) I may try for that. But not if it would eliminate any element of surprise or any other advantage I may have.

This "what would I do" would be based on the situation and a "play it as I see it".
    Before making entry, do a quick "walk around" of the outside. This would be looking for a getaway vehicle/driver or a lookout. It may also provide further info about number of BGs and their location in the house. I figure it would take maybe 30 seconds to check the outside of my house quickly and quietly, going completely around would not be necessary. During this time is when the 911 call is made.

Make a quiet entry. Enter into my attached garage with my firearm in hand and quietly clear it. The door into the house from the garage enters into the kitchen and would allow me to clear the main sections of the house from one end to the other without putting any uncleared areas behind me. I have an open layout in my house so this would easily clear over 50% of the house very quickly and quietly. At this point I only have the bedrooms to clear.
    The way I see it without any further info, I would have 2 ways to approach this difficult area.
    1-With only one BG (not this situation) take a defensive position at the end of the hall, using the end of the couch as cover (the couch would be length wise if front of me, so a round would have to travel from left to right through the entire couch) and the way the hall is positioned, the BG would not be able to step in front of the couch. From this cover call into the room with something like "hey I'm home, can you come and help me with these groceries". When the BG shows himself take him out.
    2-With more than 1 BG, I would most likely pause a moment to see if I could tell exactly which room they were in and then advance as best I could.

Regardless of the details, this is a very bad situation and difficult to do by myself.
    "Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud..."
    -Jeff Cooper, "The Art of the Rifle"

I agree with your answer.....Right on!!!!
    "Dont be afraid to go after what you want to do, and what you want to be. But don't be afraid to be willing to pay the price." - Lane Frost

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Things can go south to fast to call the PD first, I'm going to do what I have to do keep my family safe.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    No 911 call first. After I'm done they can come(as usual) and take the report.

I am very familiar with how my wife would react to certin situations and very loud commands from me and visa versa. We train together in our home for several hours every month. We know where all the safe zones are located. We know where all the weapons are located. We have a adaptable plan for times like these.

Would do a quick survey of the outter areas of the house and surrounding garages. Then inside for the "raid".

The BG's have invaded my home. They have harmed my wife. They have guns,so I know that they WILL kill us.

Florida law states that their A$$ now belongs to me..........and I"m takin' it. They are in my world. Behind the closed doors of my home. The outside world cannot see what is about to happen.

Either BG will not live to see the hospital. Both will die in my house.

If a prosecuter "feels the need"..........go for it !! ------------

Agree 100% except make the 911 call AFTER the smoke clears and you've made sure the threat is neutralized. I wouldn't leave my family in harm's way for an instant.
    Absolutely. Of course, every situation is different.

Did the BG or BG's see me? Or, did I come in and simply hear what was going on? If armed and I had any advance warning something wasn't right, I'd likely already have drawn and be at high-ready. As ExS indicates above, no way would I leave my family behind. If I had been seen, that's tougher. In my mental scenario planning and training, I've trained to take immediate action if I thought for a moment the gunman would hesitate to train his sights on me. In such a case where my family is under the sights, the cavalry can wait.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Our Castle...

will be defended at ALL costs. No children in the home...the wife and I both have 'weapons and the will'.
    No need to call 911 only 1911...
    Attempt to harm me or mine...that's part of life (no one gets out alive anyway)...enter my home and it will be your last illegal entry!

Should I tell you how I REALLY feel?

Stay alert...plan...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    retsup99, Ain't Flah-Dah GREAT.--------

I WOULD try to call 911 first. If I fail, I wouldn't want my family dead because I was too quick to act. If I take one, there's a chance that the responders will stop the BGs (hopefully one left at most) or create a workable standoff that my family will get through.

I would NOT listen to the 911 tell me not to enter, but simply inform him/her of the facts and that the owner of the house is armed and entering.

Of course, if it looked like things were going to go down and I did not have the time or opportunity for the call, I would survey briefly, take 10 seconds to calm myself, and enter.

Not a good situation though.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Scary situation.

I'm with the majority here: it's Go-Time. Shoot (a lot) first. Call 9-1-1 second.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links