Road rage, followed home! Happened to us recently.

This is a discussion on Road rage, followed home! Happened to us recently. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well done. Brights are no reason to stalk some family and risk being ventilated. 45 makes big holes ..... Don't corner a man and his ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree119Likes

Thread: Road rage, followed home! Happened to us recently.

Road rage, followed home! Happened to us recently.

Well done. Brights are no reason to stalk some family and risk being ventilated. 45 makes big holes ..... Don't corner a man and his fam.
    wishyouwell likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    I don't see the problem with the lights. You said you gave him ample room and even if you didn't it's no excuse for the moron to be acting in such a manner. He could've simply broke off the encounter just as easily as acting the way he did but instead he chose to lock on you thereby forcing you to take action.

I also don't see a problem with calling your dad. I mean its obvious the guy was after you. i don't expect you to drive around all night in an unfamiliar area and possibly further endangering you and your family because this guy is PMSing.

Calling the Sheriff was also a good move just in case things had escalated into a violent encounter where you had to use force etc. It shows you at least tried not to take matters into your own hands first without making an effort to contact authorities.

I take matters like this very serious especially with child/wife in the car and it could've turned out very badly for Mr. Hot Rod... It takes a lot of balls to advance on another vehicle with god knows what intentions. As you said this guy has a long history with assault etc and when a person lives their life in this manner it's only a matter of time before someone will get sick of his BS or he'll threaten the wrong person who will "adjust his attitude."
    Last edited by wishyouwell; December 26th, 2012 at 11:43 PM. Reason: typo
    patinthehat and Ransom like this.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I live out in the boonies, its nothing to have to use my high beams to see down the road. There was NOTHING wrong with what she did. She waited until the guy was far enough down the road to turn them back on again. However, I would advise you guys not to drive to your final resting stop if someone is following you. You should have called 911 the moment he got out of his truck then when he started to follow you, you should have drove to the nearest police station. What would have happen if he got really pissy with you and your dad and you guys had to shoot him? That could have been seen as you leading the crazy drive down a trap IMO
    Truckinbutch and 1911_Kimber like this.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Under the Conditions I think you handled it fairly well,except I don't recommend taking a threat to anybodys residence,BG could retaliate later by vandalizing property or worse

^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    From the OP

For all saying stop going back to brights the general guidelines for dimming

So if the distance was indeed "a couple hundred yards" she was well within any legal requirement to go back to brights. The guy was a dick as evidenced by his criminal record.

^^^^^Just because you can, doesn't mean you SHOULD^^^^^^^^^^^

My rule of thumb for brights is if someone is in front of me, and my Hi beams lite up the traffic signs where they are at, I will turn them off.
    It is usually way farther than 300 or 500 feet.
    Yes, people are as you say, phallic symbols, but there is really no good that can come from running into these morons.
    Last edited by oneshot; December 27th, 2012 at 06:34 PM.
    gasmitty likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

From the OP

For all saying stop going back to brights the general guidelines for dimming

So if the distance was indeed "a couple hundred yards" she was well within any legal requirement to go back to brights. The guy was a dick as evidenced by his criminal record.
    when were those guidelines written? 100 yards isn't far with modern headlights. OMO. Not excusing the guy in the OP who followed them, just saying technology probably outpaced the headlight law. That said, I would have stayed at the gas station if a police station not nearby.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

never go to a location or residence that you wouldn't want a BG to know about....otherwise the guy sounds like an asshat looking for trouble
    S&W M&P 9c
    Ruger LCR + P (.38)
    Kahr PM9
    Taurus M851 (.38)

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    I think you did great--there are comments about not taking him to your dad's home, BUT, out in the boonies, with Sheriff's Deputies a long way away, it makes sense to get to your dad's place where he will have your back and legal standing on his own property.

This guy is a shooting waiting to happen---he likes to push his weight around (domestic violence, several restraining orders against him, etc) One of these days, this guy is going to push, thinking that he is "really something", and he's going to get a couple of hollow points COM..........
    Ransom likes this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Sounds like the OP might not realize how obnoxious his brights are in the rear-view. Personally I hate being brighted from behind.

Even so, the guy was a jerk, and escalated stuff WAY out of proportion!

Since the OP wants free advice, here's mine: avoid bringing trouble home. The public gas station would do just fine. Good work involving the Sherrif. And, perhaps, give those in front of you a break with the high-beams. It may be technically ok, but its still obnoxious!
    gasmitty and SIGguy229 like this.

Distinguished Member
    My "rule of thumb" concerning high beam lights; Oncoming vehicle-if you can discern 2 headlights, dim yours. Approaching another vehicle from behind-when you can discern 2 tail lights, dim your lights. Motorcycles or improperly lit vehicles use your best judgement not to blind or annoy them. Works pretty good for me. He was out of line and you handled the sit. quite well. Glad it did not become violent.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnfat View Post
    My "rule of thumb" concerning high beam lights; Oncoming vehicle-if you can discern 2 headlights, dim yours. Approaching another vehicle from behind-when you can discern 2 tail lights, dim your lights. Motorcycles or improperly lit vehicles use your best judgement not to blind or annoy them. Works pretty good for me. He was out of line and you handled the sit. quite well. Glad it did not become violent.
    Good rule of thumb. I am also seriously annoyed by people using their bright lights behind me. Of course, I would never follow someone home to complain about it, but my rule is that if I can see tail lights or head lights (and I keep a careful eye for the glow of headlights coming over a hill or around a corner), then my brights go off.
    Anubis and SIGguy229 like this.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    In retrospect, whats done is done and the only thing that matters is that you and your family are still breathing. Well done.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.--->Herbert Spencer

Springfield xd 45, Sig Sauer SP2022(9mm),Remington 700(.308), Yugo M10 variant w/IZH Kobra optic,...and lots of ammo for all of 'em.

Good overall, you likely avoided an assault. Except you pissed off a criminal nut, and showed him where ya live.Be prepared for a visit.
    RIP Jeff Cooper

I cannot believe some of these responses! Perhaps unintentionally, but it seems some of you are justifying this jackasses actions due to obnoxious bright headlights. Give me a break!

These sound like knee-jerk, liberal responses! Blame the headlights, blame the guns, blame the school bullies....When's it gonna end?

If we all travel through this world constantly thinking about and modifying our lives to avoid sending some lunatic over the edge we would have no time to live our lives! You may as well just stay in bed...

To the OP: The only thing that I would have done differently is I would have avoided going to my parents house or anybody's house for that matter. Otherwise, you did great! Don't modify how you use your headlights, if you are within the law your good in my book.
    Last edited by Chemistry08; December 26th, 2012 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Spelling error
    patinthehat and akav8er like this.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    ... For all saying stop going back to brights the general guidelines for dimming...So if the distance was indeed "a couple hundred yards" she was well within any legal requirement to go back to brights. ...
    Sorry, but when I got my carry permit I also got a pansy permit attached to it. So did you.

It is MY JOB when carrying to eat dirt or whatever it takes to avoid escalation. That's OK with me: I'm secure enough in who I am, and in my wife and daughter's reputation, and in the non-value any listener might ascribe to a blowhard, that I can take a humiliating episode in stride. EVERYONE who carries needs to do this, too. Sorry, but short fuses and hiding behind the letter of the law don't cut it with a jury. Sure, you can LEGALLY call someone a lily-livered coward or the current equivalent to his face. But expect the jury to crucify you if you're carrying a pistol and he reacts with violence and you feel you need to shoot him. Witness the grief that whatzizname the neighborhood watch guy is going through right now.

I have sensitive eyes. At least I guess I do. I find the 'love children' in their compensatory lifted pickup trucks to be very, very, VERY irritating. Heck, I'm a good Christian and I find myself cursing them like a sailor under my breath - I usually confess and repent of this pretty quickly, but you get the idea that it bothers me a LOT. The best trick I've learned is to pull over and let the jerk pass. Problem is, very few people do this: they consider the brights to be an assault on their manhood and just stew and stew and stew and then exhibit the behavior shown by the jerk in the original post - or worse.

To the original poster, from a guy who indeed gets P.O.'d by bright lights: please, please, let the next guy get out of sight before you turn your brights back on. If it's a winding road, that will be about eight more seconds: be strong! If it's a straight road, HIS lights will display for you or silhouette any road hazards between the two of you so you don't need your brights until he's gone. And if you're carrying, you might even consider just slowing down for a bit or pulling over for a count of 30 and he'll be over the horizon. You can then turn on your brights, crank up the stereo, and have a good old time with him nowhere in sight.

Sorry, but you escalated and then led him to the home of a 'friendly'. Then you faced him down, threatened him (how else can he interpret the open carry?) and called the law on him. For an obviously unbalanced sort, this is NOT a good idea. Sure, he left THIS TIME, but I wouldn't be surprised if your dad finds his tires slashed soon. Remember the posts about the grey man? Your job is to be invisible to bad guys: in this case you provoked one and showed him where your dad lives.

On the other hand, everyone went home instead of hospital, jail or morgue. In that sense it all worked out. But simply backing off or not using your brights would have prevented every bit of it. And had you pulled over for two minutes you would have been two minutes later getting to Dad's... as it was you wasted lots more time with the altercation, the sheriff, and posting and reading this thread.

Wishing you the best - honest. But the best gift I can give you is my honest assessment. And I am sorry you and your family had to deal with a jerk. Kinda puts a damper on the day.

Edit: reading the original poster's comments, below, suggests that I overdid my comments here. I'm going to leave them as they were earlier for the benefit of others who might profit from them... but I believe Mr. Pt111pro is a cooler head than I realized when I first wrote this.
    Last edited by Paymeister; December 26th, 2012 at 11:22 PM. Reason: I think I misread the OP and wanted to own up to it.
    Bubbiesdad likes this.

Thank you all for the thoughtful answers. I get the bright lights thing, I really do. As anyone that drives that area knows, deer are abundant, and have caused three wrecks in our family, my wifes last car being one of them, so when we feel like there is enough room we do like to use our high beams. When the guy started slowing down we thought he was looking for a road to turn down, obviously if I had realized what he was aggravated about before he stopped the first time we would have stopped before it became an issue. I am like a lot of people I read about on here, since I started carrying I am much more likely to go way out of my way to avoid trouble than I would have been before.

I get the whole not taking him to our destination thing too, which is why i had him meet us at the end of the drive/gravel road. Theirs is not the only house on their land and from where he stopped you can't see their house or the iother two houses on their place. I felt like at the time, especially not knowing if he had someone else in the car or his intentions, that getting someplace where I had some sort of advantage was better than having my wife and child in the car with him and no place to go if he decided to escalate further. Also the gas station was not an option because it's a one pump hole in the wall that shuts down at dark and this was well after that.

The whole thing really sucked and brought up way more questions about our families plan for situations like this. And I do appreciate all the responses.
    oneshot, Ransom and EastCoastMojo like this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links