Road rage, followed home! Happened to us recently. - Page 3

Road rage, followed home! Happened to us recently.

This is a discussion on Road rage, followed home! Happened to us recently. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Few important points were missed here . First off ; 67mph cruise setting on a strange 2 lane road in the dark (head scratch). What's ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree119Likes

Thread: Road rage, followed home! Happened to us recently.

Few important points were missed here . First off ; 67mph cruise setting on a strange 2 lane road in the dark (head scratch).
    What's the legal limit at night ? If this guy caught ya and passed that should have been a clue to leave him alone=potential trouble . When he stopped in the road it was time to turn around and forget the cruise . MAT that sucker until you got back to a populated area while staying on the phone with 911 . Don't take trouble home .
    That headlight thing is another sore point for me . 20 years of OTR truckin make me very sensitive to the improper use of high beam lamps . The idea is to share the road .
    That said ; if you were my child and called me about the jackwagon chasing and harassing you when you were coming home I
    would have done just what your Dad did . I'd have been there for you .
    Likely I would have been much less charitable to the jackwagon .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemistry08 View Post
    I cannot believe some of these responses! Perhaps unintentionally, but it seems some of you are justifying this jackasses actions due to obnoxious bright headlights. Give me a break!

These sound like knee-jerk, liberal responses! Blame the headlights, blame the guns, blame the school bullies....When's it gonna end?

If we all travel through this world constantly thinking about and modifying our lives to avoid sending some lunatic over the edge we would have no time to live our lives! You may as well just stay in bed...

To the OP: The only thing that I would have done differently is I would have avoided going to my parents house or anybody's house for that matter. Otherwise, you did great! Don't modify how you use your headlights, if you are within the law your good in my book.
    If the driver had not put their brights into another driver's eyes, repeatedly, the situation probably would not have escalated. Sorry if you find that bit of reality troubling.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Bad situation handled well. Going to Dad's house may not have been the best idea, but it did at least afford you some backup.

You did nothing wrong. If she high beamed him from 20 feet so what? He was out of her lights several times passed would not go on etc. He had tons of opportunity to get out of her lights if she NEVER dimmed them.
    This guy is a dime a dozen. Get out on a family and show how tough he is. As one poster said in so many words. Hes asking for it. One day he will pick the wrong one and find it. If hes lucky he might live thru it.
    wishyouwell and ep1953 like this.

VIP Member
    You know those big silvery reflective things hanging off the sides of the truck? They are called mirrors. Mirrors reflect light. The brighter the light the brighter the reflection. Driving behind another vehicle with your high-beams on is a traffic violation in most states because it causes an unsafe driving condition by temporarily blinding the driver of the vehicle in front.

Your wife, the driver, was the one who was initially at fault and then continued to repeat the same behavior (turning on high-beams) which produced the same result (truck driver slowing down).

When possible, always attempt to deescalate the situation. You could have turned off the high-beams, pulled over for a few minutes and waited for the truck to get far enough ahead that you wouldn't encounter it again.
    tundra likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

I agree with many points here. As a professional driver, high beams are a sore subject. It is not like in a car where you can flip the lever, the side mirrors on commercial vehicles do not have that, so you are usually trying to move around so the high beams do not blind you.
    67 on a 2 lane at night may have been a bit fast like was mentioned, and then someone passes... Red flag! Back off and let them go, then steer around the wreckage.
    If you actually did nothing wrong, then I think you handled everything else pretty good except, I would NEVER bring them to my home or a family members home, I would have called dad and had him meet you someplace public and lit up, this way he has no place to retaliate.
    The bottom line is you and your family are safe. I would pursue with the police about this though, he sounds like a man with issues.

Be safe!
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

I think hes talking about a pickup here guys not a semi. And once hes following them her lights arent really a problem for him now are they? Hes a jackwagon as one politely put it

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    [B]

To the original poster, from a guy who indeed gets P.O.'d by bright lights: please, please, let the next guy get out of sight before you turn your brights back on.
    Either that or turn then off completely untill you drive into the ditch just so there is no possibility of offending anyone.
    Ransom likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    I think hes talking about a pickup here guys not a semi. And once hes following them her lights arent really a problem for him now are they? Hes a jackwagon as one politely put it
    Yes, but at that point he's foaming at the mouth. The issue should have been dealt with before that - like by turning off the brights if she can see him AT ALL. (OK, or something pretty close to that.) Sure, deer are a real threat (I nearly totalled a car once by deer)... but that can also be dealt with by slowing down and having a hothead anywhere in front - heck, ANYONE in front - I submit that it might be a better choice.

Most pickups and many cars have fixed mirrors on the sides, so the comments made by the semi driver apply here, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    Yes, but at that point he's foaming at the mouth. The issue should have been dealt with before that - like by turning off the brights if she can see him AT ALL. (OK, or something pretty close to that.) Sure, deer are a real threat (I nearly totalled a car once by deer)... but that can also be dealt with by slowing down and having a hothead anywhere in front - heck, ANYONE in front - I submit that it might be a better choice.

Most pickups and many cars have fixed mirrors on the sides, so the comments made by the semi driver apply here, too.
    I have a pickup and drove a semi for 22 years cross country. Sorry gotta stand by my statement. Guy is an idiot. He passed them. All he had to do was go on and lights are history for him. HE slowed down, He stopped, He followed. No excuse for his behavior and lucky he didnt pull it on the wrong person. No way to blame the lady and lights unless anyone here can claim you never bright lighted anyone. 22 yrs of being on the road tells me thats a pretty slim chance
    68blackbird and ep1953 like this.

Re: Road rage, followed home! Happened to us recently.

Everyone keep in mind the OP didn't realize the brights were the problem until the final confrontation.
    Last edited by blanco64; December 27th, 2012 at 08:05 AM.
    ep1953 likes this.

With all due respect to the ones offering driving advice regardless of whether or not we gave him enough distance to use our high beams, which I feel like we did but he would obviously argue, he still had no right to do what he did. My asking for opinions on what I could have done better was geared more towards what to do to keep my family safe....being this is a defensive forum and all.

To clarify a couple of points that have been mentioned, he was driving a full size Ford pickup, and we are very familiar with the roads as we drive them daily. The closest "well lit public area" was 10 miles back the direction we came from.

What could you do better? Arm your wife. Go to Dad's in the daytime. Stay on 911 until the local Sheriff Deputy, Constable, Highway Patrol, Police officer, Game Warden, etc., catches up to y'all and lights the guy up.
    "If you only knew the power of the dark side!" - Darth Vader

Road rage, followed home! Happened to us recently.

I disagree with some of the posters. Too bright lights? I don't buy it. I lived out in the country for a long time and with the forest rats , dogs etc they are needed. Mr truck driver could have just pulled over and let you go by. IMO he was indeed a threat due to what sounds like anger issues from his priors.

I don't think you did anything wrong other than maybe have called 911 sooner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    68blackbird likes this.

Lead Moderator
    Sounds like the pickup driver was looking for a reason to start something. If not the brights it may have been anything else. You handled it well enough, I would rather not have someone follow me to my families house , but it doesn't sound as if you had a better choice.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links