Road rage, followed home! Happened to us recently.

This is a discussion on Road rage, followed home! Happened to us recently. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by oakchas Iowa DOT requires low beams within 1000 feet of an oncoming vehicle, 500 feet when following. at 60 miles an hour, ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree119Likes

Thread: Road rage, followed home! Happened to us recently.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Iowa DOT requires low beams within 1000 feet of an oncoming vehicle, 500 feet when following.

at 60 miles an hour, that equates to about 7.5 seconds away from an oncoming vehicle at the same speed (closing speed halves the time).

About 6 seconds away from a vehicle moving in the same direction. 500'= ~1/10 of a mile at a mile a minute, 60 mph.

you can use power poles/mile markers/mailboxes as a marker to start timing.
    Wheeewwwwww...all them formulas is too fancy for an ol' feller like me!
    I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Iowa DOT requires low beams within 1000 feet of an oncoming vehicle, 500 feet when following.

at 60 miles an hour, that equates to about 7.5 seconds away from an oncoming vehicle at the same speed (closing speed halves the time).

About 6 seconds away from a vehicle moving in the same direction. 500'= ~1/10 of a mile at a mile a minute, 60 mph.

you can use power poles/mile markers/mailboxes as a marker to start timing.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by Luis50 View Post
    You did what you thought was right at the time and fortunately nobody was hurt. I've posted this quote before. I'm posting it again not to judge your actions but, as a reminder for ME and you.

"As a gun owner, you have to be cool-headed, more-so than the police ever have to be. You do not ever run around pretending to be the police while carrying a gun because then, stuff like this can happen. You do not start stuff, act aggressively, flip the bird, roll your eyes, talk smack, or even raise your voice to anyone, ever.

A combat instructor (who happened to be Buddhist and a Marine) once said to me:
    "From now on, when dealing with (ed.) crazy / possibly violent people, you will lose every argument. You are always wrong. You are sorry for impinging on their day.

You will apologize and apologize again. You will back the heck down. You will put your tail between your legs. You will let them talk stuff about your lady friend. You will let them call your mother a witch and a hooker, your dad a punk.
    You have no ego. You do all this because if you are the one to start a fight, by default that fight now has a gun in it, and if you start losing, you're going to pull it and kill him.

Even if you don't go to jail because you could convince the jury that it was self-defense, you're going to have to live with the fact that you took someone's life in defense of your pride and ego not your life.

You are not the police, so don't act like them. Though many of you [civilians] are better shots than the police, you do not have the training, the continuum of force policy, a union, plus free lawyers protecting you if you screw up.

In closing he added “After backing down and trying to apologize, if at any time you then feel your life or that of a loved one is in danger, put three rounds into his [cardiothoracic] vault, call the police, call your lawyer, give a statement, go home, and sleep like a baby. You did all you could for your attacker, and he was the one that made the final decision...... to kill himself."

I didn't write this but, as a legally armed citizen, I try to live by it.
    This is why I joined this forum for advice like this. Thanks for posting it.
    EastCoastMojo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pt111pro View Post
    The people that live out there are well aware of him now, and my parents breed and raise household security systems so they are as prepared as they can be.

Luis50, I have read that on here before, and it's easy to read and think I need to do this, but harder to actually put it in practice once in a situation. Thanks for the reminder, maybe that needs to be part of my daily affirmations.

Paymeister, I am all for not repeating history.

After I had a chance to think about the situation I started to see that I had more options that I thought at the time. I would definitely do things differently in hindsight. The biggest thing I think I am taking away from this, aside from the various errors pointed out by 1moregoodguy, is assuming it was over when it wasn't. Since we slowed way down and let him get way ahead of us I thought that was the end of it. Given everything else, next time in that sort of situation distance won't be enough, we will u-turn and make tracks the way we came.

One of the things I did when I first decided to get my carry permit was start reading forums, and this one has been a wealth of information over the years. So again, thank you for all the responses.
    I commend you for what you have written. It is pretty easy to sit in a comfy chair at home and decide what was the best action to take, but you did what you did under actual conditions. Everyone went home safe and no shots were fired, I think that is a good day!

Then you came on here to find other options, but you also helped give everyone here an education. Many of us learn something new everyday and today, that came from your example!

Be safe!
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

Quote Originally Posted by Luis50 View Post
    You did what you thought was right at the time and fortunately nobody was hurt. I've posted this quote before. I'm posting it again not to judge your actions but, as a reminder for ME and you.

"As a gun owner, you have to be cool-headed, more-so than the police ever have to be. You do not ever run around pretending to be the police while carrying a gun because then, stuff like this can happen. You do not start stuff, act aggressively, flip the bird, roll your eyes, talk smack, or even raise your voice to anyone, ever.

A combat instructor (who happened to be Buddhist and a Marine) once said to me:
    "From now on, when dealing with (ed.) crazy / possibly violent people, you will lose every argument. You are always wrong. You are sorry for impinging on their day.

You will apologize and apologize again. You will back the heck down. You will put your tail between your legs. You will let them talk stuff about your lady friend. You will let them call your mother a witch and a hooker, your dad a punk.
    You have no ego. You do all this because if you are the one to start a fight, by default that fight now has a gun in it, and if you start losing, you're going to pull it and kill him.

Even if you don't go to jail because you could convince the jury that it was self-defense, you're going to have to live with the fact that you took someone's life in defense of your pride and ego not your life.

You are not the police, so don't act like them. Though many of you [civilians] are better shots than the police, you do not have the training, the continuum of force policy, a union, plus free lawyers protecting you if you screw up.

In closing he added “After backing down and trying to apologize, if at any time you then feel your life or that of a loved one is in danger, put three rounds into his [cardiothoracic] vault, call the police, call your lawyer, give a statement, go home, and sleep like a baby. You did all you could for your attacker, and he was the one that made the final decision...... to kill himself."

I didn't write this but, as a legally armed citizen, I try to live by it.
    Can I +Like this 1000 times?

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    Can I +Like this 1000 times?
    I think 999+ likes is the limit but I'm not sure. In any case this is an interesting thread from which I think just about all of us can learn something.

I am happy that being an old hillbilly there are lots of curves and hills around these parts for anyone that passes me to be out of sight pretty quick!

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    You never know when you will run in to one of these nuts. Glad it turned out ok for you.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links