Brittle egos - Page 2

Brittle egos

This is a discussion on Brittle egos within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by CJM So a passing verbal threat constitutes ability, opportunity, and intent? Carrying a gun carries great responsibility. Escalating a situation simply because ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree232Likes

Thread: Brittle egos

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CJM View Post
    So a passing verbal threat constitutes ability, opportunity, and intent? Carrying a gun carries great responsibility. Escalating a situation simply because your ego is bruised shows severe immaturity, and probably compensation for other...shortcomings. Besides, if you're so big and tough, and you attack the dbag that insulted your wife's honor, you've now put the ball in his court for legal self defense. Ever heard of disparity of force?

I'm not saying it would be easy to say nothing to the little dirtbag, but when you carry a gun you have to be willing to be the better man and let things go that would have likely resulted in a playground fist fight in elementary school.

I'm not going round and round with you over this. But yes, if a man threatens to do my wife bodily harm then he will be dealt with with extreme prejudice. It has nothing to do with defending her "honor" but with defending her person. I see you are pretty new here. Stick around a while. You might learn a thing or two.
    mg27, carracer, smolck and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    I found that since I started carrying, things like that, which would have normally bothered me, don't seem to bother me as much anymore. They can act like fools all they want.
    I've noticed that as well. In fact, I just about quoted this to my wife the other day!

I guess that knowing you're carrying a deadly weapon makes you think a lot more about which battles to pick, as a situation can quickly get out-of-hand and get your gun into your hand - creating a bigger situation...
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

Been in that situation a few times myself. I'm 6'3 around 220 to 225 depending on dinner any my daily constitutional. I hate bar fights and fights in general because they are to cliche for my tastes. I've had my nose broken losing and had some fingers broken winning in the past. However, I am hyper competitive and don't like to just walk away (but almost always do in the end).
    Last time a guy bumped into me while I was looking at something in a display window at the mall. I was standing still, and he wasn't paying attention. He had a few choice words for me and starting 'puffing' up. So, I calmly walked towards him and when I got into punching distance (he's still rattling off at the mouth), I leaned forward, opened my arms and said, "Let's just hug it out". Took him off guard so much he wasn't really sure what to do. He told me to eff myself and walked off.
    Since I figure 99% of the time these guys simply posture, I knew odds were in my favor anyway and if he got a little squirrelly, I could bear hug him till he calmed down.
    All that before I started to CCW. Now, I would just take the higher road.

CJM
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    I'm not going round and round with you over this. But yes, if a man threatens to do my wife bodily harm then he will be dealt with with extreme prejudice. It has nothing to do with defending her "honor" but with defending her person. I see you are pretty new here. Stick around a while. You might learn a thing or two.
    Yeah because join date and post count dictate real world knowledge and experience. Besides based on your lack of understanding of use of force I'm pretty sure the only thing you could teach me is how to catch a murder wrap.

Ability, opportunity, and intent. Unless you're in Texas dadgummit, where calling a woman the b-word is cause for lethal force by golly!
    thechriskarel likes this.

Administrator
    Let's all try real hard not to display examples of bruised and brittle egos toward fellow members in a forum thread.

CHILL !!!

Any more off topic comments will be deleted.
    archer51, msgt/ret, rocky and 6 others like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Newbie here , but I would like to say that join date and post count do not always equate experience and abilities . Some of us have just been a little slow in discovering a great site .
    Jim
    Brad426 likes this.

Just wanted to say well stated OP. I also believe it is best to not let things get to me unless I am forced to react.

Yeaaaa I have a feeling I would have gave him an elbow right in the temple and lights out for calling my wife something like that. Trash like that deserves their arse kicked. I have no respect for scum like that.

VIP Member
    Sometimes a person needs punched in the face. The problem is that anytime you get into a fight you are in a gunfight because you brought one to the fight. Getting into a deadly force incident over a bunch of harsh language isn't going to be the best move.

In my youth I was a fighter and I have no doubt about my ability to go to the fists. The problem is that the world has changed since i was young and it's not for the better.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by pscipio03 View Post
    Been in that situation a few times myself. I'm 6'3 around 220 to 225 depending on dinner any my daily constitutional. I hate bar fights and fights in general because they are to cliche for my tastes. I've had my nose broken losing and had some fingers broken winning in the past. However, I am hyper competitive and don't like to just walk away (but almost always do in the end).
    Last time a guy bumped into me while I was looking at something in a display window at the mall. I was standing still, and he wasn't paying attention. He had a few choice words for me and starting 'puffing' up. So, I calmly walked towards him and when I got into punching distance (he's still rattling off at the mouth), I leaned forward, opened my arms and said, "Let's just hug it out". Took him off guard so much he wasn't really sure what to do. He told me to eff myself and walked off.
    Since I figure 99% of the time these guys simply posture, I knew odds were in my favor anyway and if he got a little squirrelly, I could bear hug him till he calmed down.
    All that before I started to CCW. Now, I would just take the higher road.
    Dude that is freaking hilarious!!! "Lets' just hug it out"!!!!! Claaaaaaassic!!!
    atctimmy and bombthrower77 like this.

VIP Member
    My honor is not dependent upon some foul words hurled at me, and I have told my husband that if there is a situation directed at me, that he needs to:

1. Let me handle it unless I'm the one getting literally pounded ino the dirt, and
    2. Stay out of my line of fire, and
    3. Retreat with the kids if they are present.

I'm not trying to emasculate my husband, I just consider myself able to handle and diffuse most situations without him. Because once it goes man on man for honor of the ladies, it is more likely to go downhill fast.

I am also very fortunate to not be married to a hothead. I think there's an old thread here, search "accosted at Costco."
    Brad426 and carracer like this.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

VIP Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Sometimes a person needs punched in the face.
    Absolutely. Part of me really wanted to run through the scenario where he gets an inch from my nose and I headbutt him good and it gets posted on YouTube.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

VIP Member
    What!?
    WHAT!?
    You didn't immediately call all yo' girlfriends and commence to a beat down?

What kind of a red blooded American are you anyway?

You done fine.
    Those idiots have one foot in the grave only they don't know it.
    They mst likely are associated with gangs, and they usually die by the sword(or some other gruesome means)
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

That reminds me. I have my court ordered group counseling tonite.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

Of course there is always the tactic of egging him on until he does something stupid like attack physically. Then it's all on him, and you will be forced to defend yourself. Fortunately I've mellowed over the years and now I would not do that. But I can't expect a young man to show the same kind of restraint that an older man would show. If he does, he is a better man than I was. If he smacks the guy in the face, I can understand that too. An insult to my wife however, is entering another realm of reality. I might just do what I stated at the beginning of this post and then when he goes nuts, shoot him. Moral? No. Christian? No. Satisfying? Yes. Let's face it guys, when they close the lid for the last time we will go out with a certain amount of "Kid" left in us that has not been killed by society, family, or the law.
    nhcruffler likes this.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links