Brittle egos - Page 4

Brittle egos

This is a discussion on Brittle egos within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by OldVet Did you really use the word, "Dude"? Yesssssir I did :)...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree232Likes

Thread: Brittle egos

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Did you really use the word, "Dude"?
    Yesssssir I did :)
    atctimmy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Truckinbutch View Post
    "An insult to my wife however, is entering another realm of reality. I might just do what I stated at the beginning of this post and then when he goes nuts, shoot him. Moral? No. Christian? No. Satisfying? Yes. Let's face it guys, when they close the lid for the last time we will go out with a certain amount of "Kid" left in us that has not been killed by society, family, or the law."
    So , when the cell door slams behind you , ya got the rest of your life without family until the coffin lid slams shut because You brought a gun to a fistfight that YOU started .
    Pilgrim , I don't see much profit in that .
    Already said I wouldn't, just rambling about how I WANT to. That was my point, most men want to deal with this little creep, but won't do it because it just ain't right.
    pittypat21 likes this.

Problem with that is that you fight like you train . If you carry it in your head you are subject to getting it in another orifice .
    >
    Don't get me wrong . I started fighting before I started grade school in WV coal camp area . Continued being a noted brawler
    into my late 20's . I fully understand the sentiment . Times change and we have to quit dragging our knuckles to keep up with the times . Responsible , legal concealed carry is just that : we are held to a higher standard of behavior in dealing with dweeds than we are sometimes comfortable with .
    atctimmy likes this.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    What did big 230lb hubby do when little punk challenged you to a fight? His butt would have been on the ground with the first obsene word towards my wife.
    Thataway Ernie--get into a fight, have it escalate, have the punk get the better of you, put yourself in imminent danger and then blow him away--if there are witnesses to all of this--guess who is going to have to defend themselves in criminal and civil court. Boy do I understand what you are saying--I would be enraged if someone started up with my wife, but if you are CC, SUCK IT UP AND MOVE ON--you are dead wrong in your comment. Unless the punk actually initiates a confrontation that is more than some words and you have an opportunity to just go away, that is what you are suppose to do, particularly if you have the eventual power to kill him.

mkh
    If you are going to confront every guy that cals your wife the b word then leave your guns at home.

In my younger days I worked for construction companies and in furniture mills (night shift machine room). Let's just say there were many occasions in which more than just words flew. Times are different now. I am a husband and father, I have a career, and much more to lose. If I'm going to risk it all to get angry and physical over something, it will have to be something darn worth it. Any idiot can say anything, and you can't control what others say...but you can control how you let it affect you. If all they are doing is running their mouth, you can rest assured knowing that at some point someone with a lot less to lose will jump on the opportunity.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

My girlfriend is about 5'7" and shes pretty tough. If he did that to her, I would have to protect him.
    DontTreadOnI likes this.

I guess I am not following the posts correctly here. I can't see anywhere that someone said they would respond with deadly force. I think a lot of posters are just reading way too much into the other responses.
    pittypat21, chp1911 and Chief1297 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    There is way too much chest thumping in this thread by some members which leads me to think that some may not be suited to the responsibilities and possible consequences of carrying a gun.

If this post irks you, this is directly aimed at you tough guy.
    Yes, men that have testosterone flowing their bodies, and that do not like their wives being cursed at are not suited for carrying a gun.

DONT YOU DARE GET ANGRY ANYONE. ANGER MEANS YOU SHOULD NEVER CARRY BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT SUITED.
    ErnieNWillis likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    I guess I am not following the posts correctly here. I can't see anywhere that someone said they would respond with deadly force. I think a lot of posters are just reading way too much into the other responses.
    To get into a fist fight over words while carrying a gun is about as irresponsible as it can get. Any escalated confrontation means there is a chance it reaches a part where you would deem it necessary to draw.

Be a real man, walk away.

Or ask him to hug it out

(credit pscipio03, of course)
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

I just want to make it clear, that wanting to "explain" to some punk how NOT to speak to your wife does not mean that you would actually get in a confrontation in real life. On this forum we're allowed to post our secret desires to "educate" some people, despite that in real life most of us would indeed walk away. The 'chest thumping' is men being men. If you can say that you would not be bothered by something like that happening to your wife, then I would say you're probably lying. Getting upset does not mean that you would resort to violence, or lethal force, over words. So, let's not be so quick to judge who is or isn't suited for the responsibility of carrying.
    atctimmy, Chemistry08 and mulle46 like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

VIP Member
    This kinda covers it.

As a gun owner, you have to be cool-headed, more-so than the police ever have to be. You do not ever run around pretending to be the police while carrying a gun because then, stuff like this can happen. You do not start stuff, act aggressively, flip the bird, roll your eyes, talk smack, or even raise your voice to anyone, ever.

A combat instructor (who happened to be Buddhist and a Marine) once said to me:
    "From now on, when dealing with (ed.) crazy / possibly violent people, you will lose every argument. You are always wrong. You are sorry for impinging on their day.

You will apologize and apologize again. You will back the heck down. You will put your tail between your legs. You will let them talk stuff about your lady friend. You will let them call your mother a witch and a hooker, your dad a punk.
    You have no ego. You do all this because if you are the one to start a fight, by default that fight now has a gun in it, and if you start losing, you're going to pull it and kill him.

Even if you don't go to jail because you could convince the jury that it was self-defense, you're going to have to live with the fact that you took someone's life in defense of your pride and ego not your life.

You are not the police, so don't act like them. Though many of you [civilians] are better shots than the police, you do not have the training, the continuum of force policy, a union, plus free lawyers protecting you if you screw up.

In closing he added “After backing down and trying to apologize, if at any time you then feel your life or that of a loved one is in danger, put three rounds into his [cardiothoracic] vault, call the police, call your lawyer, give a statement, go home, and sleep like a baby. You did all you could for your attacker, and he was the one that made the final decision...... to kill himself."
    First Sgt likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

StarPD45
    I guess the bottom line is there is a difference between fantasy (what we'd like to do) and reality (what we would actually do).
    pittypat21 likes this.

My wife has been training Krav Maga for several years now. I would have let her handle it.
    pittypat21 likes this.

Brittle egos

I'd say the OP handled it pretty well. It is very interesting to read all the ego responses about escalating the situation. It's clearly the stronger the man who can let words be words and walk away with out a thought of escalation.
    Truckinbutch likes this.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links