Brittle egos

This is a discussion on Brittle egos within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I find it odd that so many interpret giving a rude loudmouth a life lesson in on-the-spot justice as having to resort to using a ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree232Likes

Thread: Brittle egos

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I find it odd that so many interpret giving a rude loudmouth a life lesson in on-the-spot justice as having to resort to using a concealed weapon. Maybe it falls back to the idea that one uses a weapon because they had one?
    94lt1 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

CJM
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I find it odd that so many interpret giving a rude loudmouth a life lesson in on-the-spot justice as having to resort to using a concealed weapon. Maybe it falls back to the idea that one uses a weapon because they had one?
    Reading comprehension, google it.
    "Thank you for the advice Mr. Vice President, but I'll be keeping my AR15 for defending my home and family."

Re: Brittle egos

Quote Originally Posted by CJM View Post
    It's not about what's legal or what state you're in...it's about choosing not to escalate a situation because someone called your wife a name. Like others have pointed out, if you're carrying, and you choose to punch the dbag in the face, you are now the aggressor. He now has every right to defend himself. If you punch him, and he starts to wail on you, and you're getting your keister handed to you, what then? Draw and shoot? Yeah good luck with that. I'm sure a jury of your peers will love to hear your self defense shooting claim when it was you who resorted to escalating the situation with physical contact.
    By address the threat... that doesn't mean start beating on the person... and for some people... yeah his little friends could be a problem, that's part of threat assessment and is obviously something every one of us should do in any altercation. And the tide of a fight can change and be altered by any of a number of things...

however.. by verbally letting the idiot know that he'd better stand down, I'm not saying turn and start swinging.....if he chose to swing..then I promise you, he'd be on the ground in about half a second..

You ask, can I be sure?? Some of us train for hours each day to ensure that our unarmed response can be just as lethal as our armed response...it helps ensure that we wouldn't lose possession of our fire arm in a shtf situation...

It also keeps me in really good shape :)

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by CJM View Post
    Reading comprehension, google it.
    Back at cha.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

You are absolutely correct. Especially people like the "cellphone dude" in the second incident. They are everywhere.

I get so tempted sometimes to stand by and see what their next move is, but I always end up choosing the high ground and let it drop since I know something they don't.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

it's so ironic that in a thread about playing it cool and not overreacting, so many macho men are talking smack. Really dude, you'd beat up a (much smaller, possibly underage) guy for saying a mean word? Fights aren't like they were in the good old days, man. You stomp him out, great. Then his boys roll up on you in a week...then what? Lastly, the OP seems like she can handle herself anyway, let her deal with this punk. Seeing girls beat up guys is hilarious.

Not hating, just saying.

I think a big item being missed here is the threat of violence and the thought that being passive only has an alternative of escalating to violence. Idiot is threatening to hurt your wife. He has no situational awareness and probably doesn't see/care about the husband. IF offended cell phone dude starts swinging the witnesses would see him being offended and maybe as the victim.

As part of disengaging being assertive BUT NOT AGGRESSIVE using phrases like "Leave her alone", " We don't want to fight", etc. will allow cell phone boy to be a hero. If he gets violent witnesses will see you disengaging and moving away. If he pursues you or gets violent you've created distance and set-up the witnesses to better ID you as the victim. If you are truly prepared to carry you need to use verbal skills to avoid violence or worst case prepare your defense.

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    The first case stated in the OP I could deal with without getting testy myself, but the second I would draw the line. Years ago, when I was not long out of the Marines and a little less worried about getting a bruise or two, I got into a fist fight with some clown who called my wife a "B---h" at the local Wally World. Not trying to sound like a tough guy here, but I got the better of him and he broke free and ran off. I cleaned up the mess and apologized to the manager and crew that ran over to the fight, and to the police. The store did not press charges and the police said that since the other guy ran off, I could go.

I get really bent outta shape when someone disrespects my wife. Would I do it again? Yup, but only over my wife.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

this has been floated around on this and other gun forums, I think it applies perfectly here....

"From now on, when dealing with (ed.) crazy / possibly violent people, you will lose every argument. You are always wrong. You are sorry for impinging on their day.

You will apologize and apologize again. You will back the heck down. You will put your tail between your legs. You will let them talk stuff about your lady friend. You will let them call your mother a witch and a hooker, your dad a punk.
    You have no ego. You do all this because if you are the one to start a fight, by default that fight now has a gun in it, and if you start losing, you're going to pull it and kill him.

Even if you don't go to jail because you could convince the jury that it was self-defense, you're going to have to live with the fact that you took someone's life in defense of your pride and ego not your life.

You are not the police, so don't act like them. Though many of you [civilians] are better shots than the police, you do not have the training, the continuum of force policy, a union, plus free lawyers protecting you if you screw up.

“After backing down and trying to apologize, if at any time you then feel your life or that of a loved one is in danger, put three rounds into his [cardiothoracic] vault, call the police, call your lawyer, give a statement, go home, and sleep like a baby. You did all you could for your attacker, and he was the one that made the final decision...... to kill himself."

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    I'm just glad I was not carrying a gun when I got into that fight with the freak in Wal Mart. We were living in Florida at the time and I did not have a Florida permit.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

VIP Member
    I find the OP's examples to be illustrative of what I call the "Concealed Carry Zen." When you have a firearm at your disposal, you are suddenly enlightened as to the benefits of de-escalation and peace.

I find certain responses to the OP, if true, to be excellent examples of why certain people should not carry.

Lots of lessons here indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    Yes, men that have testosterone flowing their bodies, and that do not like their wives being cursed at are not suited for carrying a gun.

DONT YOU DARE GET ANGRY ANYONE. ANGER MEANS YOU SHOULD NEVER CARRY BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT SUITED.
    Your gun is to be used to save your life, not your ego.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Administrator
    "Lastly, the OP seems like she can handle herself anyway, let her deal with this punk. Seeing girls beat up guys is hilarious."

You'll need to trust the Moderators on this one. Betty can handle her own personal/self defense.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Wow... So what was the 230lb hubby doing before and during the mall incident, reading his cell phone too? I'm not sure I would have had the fortitude to watch it all unfold. I have a tendency to put myself between anyone coming towards us when I have any women with me out at a place like a mall etc... Once the "fightin words" started he may well have been eating that clothing rack if he decided to follow into the store.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Brittle egos

Quote Originally Posted by 94lt1 View Post
    Another newb here.. but I really must point out that as soon as he resorts to name calling and "calling the wife out" that "can be" and is considered assault in many states... not saying to take his life, or even resort to gun play.. that's insane... however you can address the threat accordingly.
    Escalate this situation to a physical encounter and see how well that defense serves you legally.

If you can't handle yourself or your wife or family being called a name, you need to go back to Jr. High School where that sort of stuff actually matters.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Links