Brittle egos

This is a discussion on Brittle egos within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by BamaAlum97 Escalate this situation to a physical encounter and see how well that defense serves you legally. If you can't handle yourself ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Like Tree232Likes

Thread: Brittle egos

Re: Brittle egos

Quote Originally Posted by BamaAlum97 View Post
    Escalate this situation to a physical encounter and see how well that defense serves you legally.

If you can't handle yourself or your wife or family being called a name, you need to go back to Jr. High School where that sort of stuff actually matters.
    You seem to think that confronting the person in any sort of way is escalating the situation. So in that way of thinking, its lose, lose.

It appears that you think that just because you can carry, or are carrying, a person should turn and run.

If it was a man talking smack to me, i'd walk away and laugh. Without turning my back..

..... but I'm here to tell you that you CAN block an aggressor from threatening your wife WITHOUT having to hit the person.. and without calling him on..HOWEVER, I promise you that if a MAN is engaging my WIFE OR CHILD, then they've started something they won't be able to finish..no where did I say hit the person, shove the person... merely tell him to back off...his actions from there are on him, if he persists, you can still try to talk him down.

If you think that standing between an aggressive person and my family, and telling them to stand down is somehow "calling it on"... then in my opinion, you might want to check and see what position its better to have when it comes to dealing with an attacker...

My gun isn't even on my mind in a situation like this.. I'm not thinking "am I going to have to shoot this person".

However in a situation where someone is displaying aggressive behavior to my wife or child.. then I promise you, my thoughts are how I WILL stop this person or THESE people... gun or no gun...I don't rely on a gun.. I rely on my wits, my situational awareness, and my ability to read and react to a situation...

If I go down, so be it.. my family WILL be able to get away from the situation.

As far as tough guy, in an instant, this guy could've went from calling the wife on, to socking her in the jaw with lighter in his hand, or pulled a knife, or his own gun...

Many of you are down playing just how serious a threat that little person could truly be. I'm not about showing off for the wife... I don't need to...

I am however all about keeping my family safe...

In any situation like this, my reaction is entirely a gun free reaction... not a reaction BECAUSE I have a gun.

Turning and walking away is a great "idea" what happens when the punk sinks a blade in your back??

You NEVER turn your back on an aggressor... .wait... I'll never turn my back on an aggressor... YOU do what you want... we'll see how far we each get..

I pray you never find yourself in that situation, but a person can go from non assuming, to a rabid beast in an instant.. lots of unstable people out there.. not calling them on doesn't matter...

So as far as your comment about going back to junior high... perhaps you should consider your own advice... because you may not be equipped to handle life in this world..its full of confrontation.. especially if you think you should run, hide, or turn your back to them.

Or perhaps you should choose your wording more carefully.
    Last edited by 94lt1; January 3rd, 2013 at 12:39 PM.
    atctimmy and ErnieNWillis like this.

2. Remove Ads

This is aggression to intimidate..... so you will not come back at them, challenge them, and become submissive for them. It's an initimidation technique is all. Ironically, it is the same thing many serial killers, etc. use initially with their victims, and so do rapist, etc. Same thing bullies do, in another form.

I'm guessing, due to you being female and 5'2" .... they don't think you are a threat to them and can be as abusive towards you as they want to be. My daughter is 5'2" tall ..... they wouldn't get away with it with her. It's facial expressions, body language, stance, walk, and tone in the voice...... and when she gets that "look", they know ... she's serious and they don't want to find out if she's capable.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    I'm guessing, due to you being female and 5'2" .... they don't think you are a threat to them and can be as abusive towards you as they want to be. My daughter is 5'2" tall ..... they wouldn't get away with it with her. It's facial expressions, body language, stance, walk, and tone in the voice...... and when she gets that "look", they know ... she's serious and they don't want to find out if she's capable.
    There's punks and true predators. Punks don't care about body language and assertiveness, and the fact that the person they're squaring off against might be 6'5" 250 pounds and holding a spiked mace. They're loudmouthed and generally stupid, and their misplaced egos can blind them to all common sense. It happens all the time. They end up getting pummeled by someone bigger or tougher than them, but they generally don't learn and do it again, because they have twice as much to prove now. Some have a small flicker of sense when looking down the muzzle of someone's gun, but just long enough to flee to find somebody else to pick on.

True predators, on the other hand, are generally smarter and carefully select their victims.They sit back and assess potential targets. They're the ones that back off from an assertive person and look elsewhere for the one who is not situationally aware and looks ripe for picking.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    You did the right thing in both cases as hard as it was to swallow. But the right thing is not always the easy thing. Good job.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

my example of dealing with an idiot...

and boy there sure are a lot out there.

This happened a few years ago. During our churches vacation bible school I and another church member were assigned to drive the church's 15 passinger van to pick up and drop off the childern.

We had finished dropping off the children at their homes and were heading back to the church. I was riding "Shotgun" with my snub nose 38 in a tuckable IWB holster. Our route took us thru the main business district down town. We then had to turn onto a 3 lane wide one way highway that headed two blocks to the river and cross the divided highway bridge over the river. As we were waiting to turn left onto the 3 lane one way, we were second in line at the light which has a left turn arrow behind a truck with a single young man in it. The left turn arrow turned green and the driver of the truck was distracted or day dreaming. The driver of the van I was in tapped his horn once to get the driver ahead of us's attention so he would proceed through the light.

He turned left, and we followed. As we headed toward the bridge the other driver became agitated, and slowed down. We moved into the left hand lane and drove at the speed limit. When the other truck had slowed until he was next to us, on our right side he began yelling, screaming and giving us the universal obscene hand gesture.

I said to the driver, "Is he really going to curse us out as we drive in a church van with the church name on the side in eight inch letters?"

I rolled up my window to reduce the noise coming from his mouth. This seemed to make him more angry. He began yelling for us to pull over so he could kick our asses.

We were on the bridge by now and would have had to stop in the middle and block both lanes to fight right there. We of course did our best to ignore the idiot.

Finally he got bored of yelling and finally turned off after we got off the bridge. I was thinking, this guy wants to start a fight over a tap of the horn, with two guys in a church van.

While we would have had him outnumbered, the van driver is permantly disabled due to severe back problems and has had 5 or 6 vertabre fused in his neck. He would most likely have a hard time swinging a punch with any force but the other guy wouldn't have known that. He also wouldn't have known that I was armed. Of course there wasn't any reason to stop and luckily he didn't try to run us off the road or block our path.

When we got back to the church we told the minister the situation in case the guy got the phone number of the church from the side of the van.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Links