They cut my power! - Page 2

They cut my power!

This is a discussion on They cut my power! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This happened a lot around here. (Soddy Daisy Tn) Turns out the power company was running from house to house pulling the old meter and ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: They cut my power!

This happened a lot around here. (Soddy Daisy Tn) Turns out the power company was running from house to house pulling the old meter and installing the newer meter that they can control from their office. You apparently don't have any option.
    Cherokee Slim
    NRA, SASS #72605, ROII, WBRO, Ocoee Rangers, Tennessee Mountain Maurauders. Semper Fi

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    Man, Jehova's Witnesses are getting pushy these days....

Glad she is alright and nothing happened. Put the biggest padlock you can on your main; preferably the round ones that only expose a small area of the lock and would be very difficult to cut.
    Those locks really arent much harder to cut than the normal ones. Ive tested them.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Was it cut or they just flipped the main? If a lock won't fit a ziptie is a great idea. +1 for rifle or shotgun and calling the police to report it. Glad nothing came of it, but good to be aware. Our alarm has a battery backup and I flip it on, if it isn't already when power goes out, just in case. It also has an alarm if the phone line is cut.

If you do not have an alarm, it can be a worthwhile investment. Even if you do not pay for monitoring (month to month or annually) it makes one ******* racket if tripped.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    I'm going to go with yes they are, seeing as how there is much less of the lock arm showing, which is often covered by whatever it is "locking"; not to mention that for this same reason they also cannot be turned and manipulated near as much. Impossible to cut? No way. More difficult than a regular lock? Absolutely.

I like the ziptie idea better than a lock though. As stated, I wouldn't want to be looking for a key or fumbling with a combo if in dire need of shutting the power off.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    This gets my vote. Happened to an older gal a few houses down from me last year; she thought there was a power failure (rare in the Phoenix suburbs) and saw my lights on. Sure enough, her main breaker was tripped.

I just put a nylon tie-wrap on my box to discourage casual mischief. If there's a major electrical fire or fault, I don't want to search for a key or bolt cutters to reach the main breaker.
    Good point. I think the best thing to do here is apply thick zip ties instead of a lock.
    Supraman762 likes this.
    I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    Oh, my personal favorite btw:

1AM doorbell ring... open door to check... firecrackers thrown at my feet from kids hiding around the corner. They ran off laughing.

Surveillance cameras went in the following week.
    You opened your door at 1:00am without knowing who was there?
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Ex Member
    That is a LOT of work they are going through. Sounds like someone is serious. If it was me I would take a couple vacation days, move the car to look like I was NOT home, and wait for the fun to start.:):):)
    Supraman762 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    You opened your door at 1:00am without knowing who was there?
    I knew it was them. ;)
    pittypat21 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DooSPX View Post
    One more thing I would have done besides calling the power company is call the police and report everything that happened. See if they could lift any prints from the meter/breaker.
    Seeing as how it isn't illegal to walk up to someone's house and turn off their power (at least nowhere I have ever worked), you won't get the police to take any fingerprints. Law enforcement has enough trouble getting fingerprints run through the system in a timely manner for major felonies, they will not clog the system with fingerprint processing requests for something that isn't even a crime. It isn't like TV, the cops don't run back to the station, scan a card, and get a hit on the suspect in 10 seconds. Getting fingerprint results often takes 6 months or more in real life.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    Man WTH where they doing? Our home alarm is always armed when we are home. It has battery backups in case power goes out. But if that doesn't stop them, my dogs will. And if my dogs don't stop them, then it's game on. I also have video cameras around house. It has successfully deterred a bad guy.
    That sounds like me

Where do you people live. I have never seen an outside breaker box except for A/C unit.
    You do not know, what you do not know, until you realize that you do not know it

Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    Where do you people live. I have never seen an outside breaker box except for A/C unit.
    It's very common in the south. Unheard of up north.
    mr.stuart likes this.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    It's very common in the south. Unheard of up north.
    Yes,in the South we place the box outside,why, I do not know. Fortunately,my box is on the back of the house,with a digital meter. My back yard is 5' fenced with locked gates and beware of dog signs, and they better beware of the dogs. The good thing about a fenced locked yard is there is little excuse for anyone to be there,other than you. Hard to claim they fell over your fence or some stupidity like that.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    Yes,in the South we place the box outside,why, I do not know. Fortunately,my box is on the back of the house,with a digital meter. My back yard is 5' fenced with locked gates and beware of dog signs, and they better beware of the dogs. The good thing about a fenced locked yard is there is little excuse for anyone to be there,other than you. Hard to claim they fell over your fence or some stupidity like that.
    My thinking is the contractors are too cheap to run two lines of 00 coper wire from the meter base to the breaker box inside the house. Can't say for sure.

I would have definitely called the police and have them come out for a report.

While it may be a "prank," or a game kids play in many areas, it may not be the case in your area. It may be the M.O. (modus operandi) for burglaries in your area. Without notifying the police, you'd have no way of knowing if there's a burglary ring operating in your neighborhood.

Also, the power company gets real snippy when they find people tampering with meters and power sources as a lot of people are trying to scam the power company for free electricity or at least try to show reduced consumption on the meter (it happens more than you might think). If they suspect the homeowner is doing it, they often file criminal theft charges. If you've made a documented police report that your meter is being tampered with, it may keep the power company from suspecting you are trying to scam them.

While I participated in a few juvenile pranks when I was a kid, I never was real big on pranking people, and especailly as an adult. Too many people get hurt emotionally, or seriously injured over pranks. Having the police come out will at least let you know if it's happening as a prank in your area, or if they've had actual burglaries in the area using the same scheme.

Just my thoughts on the matter. YMMV.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links