They cut my power!

This is a discussion on They cut my power! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by gasmitty This gets my vote. Happened to an older gal a few houses down from me last year; she thought there was ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: They cut my power!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    This gets my vote. Happened to an older gal a few houses down from me last year; she thought there was a power failure (rare in the Phoenix suburbs) and saw my lights on. Sure enough, her main breaker was tripped.

I just put a nylon tie-wrap on my box to discourage casual mischief. If there's a major electrical fire or fault, I don't want to search for a key or bolt cutters to reach the main breaker.
    Combo lock that you can set to something like the same number that unlocks your smart phone.

OT-For Gasmitty or others, - I've got a keyed lock on a meter on my get -away cottage. The lock is probably 50 years old
    and one of these days I'm going to have to cut it off the meter. I've been needing to change it to an all weather lock for years, but have so far gotten by with a liberal dose of WD 40; not sure this is going to work very much longer.

Not wanting to give BGs any ideas, if someone has a suggestion
    about what tool to best cut, pop, or otherwise remove a rusted lock from a meter, please toss me a private message. I know it is not a big deal, because last year my nephew's friend cut or otherwise removed the pad lock off my door, changed the lock and forgot to tell me--long story :- I just don't know how to it.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    Where do you people live. I have never seen an outside breaker box except for A/C unit.
    Ha! Mostly in places that don't have basements. Coming from New England, I was surprised by it, too.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    So, are you saying that your wife is more accurate than you and needs fewer rounds?
    Statistically aren't females better shots anyways? My wife outshoots me with my k98 mausers ALL the time!!! I can't get over it! :(

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    OT-For Gasmitty or others, - I've got a keyed lock on a meter on my get -away cottage. The lock is probably 50 years old
    and one of these days I'm going to have to cut it off the meter. I've been needing to change it to an all weather lock for years, but have so far gotten by with a liberal dose of WD 40; not sure this is going to work very much longer.
    Got a friend with a "master key" - the 3-foot long bolt cutters? Otherwise, a cutoff wheel on a power tool of some sort. I doubt a hacksaw would do much on the lock - the 'bow' part is usually hardened steel. Or you might be able to drill out the part where the key goes - that's usually brass. FYI, WD-40 might be good for loosening it up, but I think flooding the works with Lock-Eze (graphite in some solvent suspension) or even motor oil would be better long-term.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Army surplus...get a 12 ga trip flare with some dark green wire. Wire it around around your box perimeter with a 12ga blank shell in it....not when meter readers will be showing up. Certainly wake someone up...

Find a friend with BIG feet and a dog that has gnawed up a pair of his work boots, get them and put them on the front porch, holding down the Guns & Ammo magazine with a note on front saying: Bob, Me and Jim went down to the store-back in 5 minutes. Don't go in yet-I changed the alarm code-we'll fix the sink when I get back. Butch and Grabber, the two Rottweilers, bit Hell out of the garbage man really bad today-they ain't had their rabies shots yet but if I pay his hospital bill I think he'll be ok. I had to lock them in the house. Just check out the gun mag till we get back- Travis That should make them move along.
    ws76133 likes this.

I will add something to your story. A few years ago it was like heart of winter Missouri. Had around a foot of snow. Kinda late maybe after 10pm. We kept hearing knocking on our wall outside the house. Now there weren't any trees or branches that would have reached the wall so I thought it there was actually someone outside. I grab a rifle and head around the house as quietly as one can in deep snow. There was nothing. No tracks no sound but some light wind. Completely cold outside maybe 15-20 degrees. Very very odd. I can't explain what it was.

Got a friend with a "master key" - the 3-foot long bolt cutters? Otherwise, a cutoff wheel on a power tool of some sort. I doubt a hacksaw would do much on the lock - the 'bow' part is usually hardened steel. Or you might be able to drill out the part where the key goes - that's usually brass. FYI, WD-40 might be good for loosening it up, but I think flooding the works with Lock-Eze (graphite in some solvent suspension) or even motor oil would be better long-term.
    Ditto. Motor oil works much better for maintenance, though good ole WD40 usually gets it un-stuck. I used to have to lock everything down out on my rural property and that's all I had in the truck - worked great. Always oil em up good before freezing rain, oil helps keep the water out. Forgot one time...took 3 days to get into my chicken coop (fortunately they don't mind if you dump food on the ground through the fence lol)

I have noticed that when the power goes out in the daytime, everyone goes out on the porch to try and see if the neighbors are out too. Bad guys maybe hoping you'll open the door of opportunity/come outside? At night you can tell by looking out the window, but in the daytime it's harder to tell from inside. Or if the power is out long in the summertime, windows and doors get opened....opportunity maybe?

Ours has a bungee cord tie down holding the box shut. Real secure lol but I probably won't bother to lock it coz the dogs will let me know something is up before the lights go out.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Our ADT system has a battery and cellular phone device as a backup if power and phone lines are cut. I'd get an electrician out ASAP and get that breaker put inside. If you dont have an alarm system , get one their cheap. But don't rely on it either, review your whole home security plan. If your home ok, what about when you leave? Camera's to secure DVR or offsite system are your friend too.
    RIP Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Yeah, sort of on the "friend" part. I'm sure he cut it off.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Landric View Post
    Seeing as how it isn't illegal to walk up to someone's house and turn off their power (at least nowhere I have ever worked), you won't get the police to take any fingerprints. Law enforcement has enough trouble getting fingerprints run through the system in a timely manner for major felonies, they will not clog the system with fingerprint processing requests for something that isn't even a crime. It isn't like TV, the cops don't run back to the station, scan a card, and get a hit on the suspect in 10 seconds. Getting fingerprint results often takes 6 months or more in real life.

So where you live trespassing is not illegal? It is never legal to enter someone elses property without permission. The power company can do it because you give them permission to gain access to their equipment when you sign up for service.

Up in the Pacific Northwest, Main CB on the outside is getting more and more common, on the newer homes being built. Where I work, the Main CB is on the outside wall.

I don't understand the logic of this at all. Perhaps a Master Electrician will chime in.

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ddclancy View Post
    So here is the situation: About 2 weeks ago my wife was home alone and she heard 2 voices talking on the side of our house. I live in a residential neighborhood. This was at around 1pm and she didn’t know who they were or why they were there. All of the sudden the doorbell rings twice and then the power goes out. My thought on that is they were ringing to hear the power is on and then ringing to make sure they didn't hear anything to see if the power was fully out. The power comes back on 15sec later and the men are gone. This is very suspicious to me, so I called the electric company to see if anyone was out servicing our house. The electric company says no one was doing anything on my entire block. Once I got home, I went outside and inspected my power meters. I noticed that the breaker to my entire house is accessible right there and all you have to do is lift the cover and flip with switch. There was a place to lock the cover so I put a small padlock on it. After the incident, I made sure my flashlights were charged and ready because apparently the BG’s are going to cut the power before they come in. Also, I have thought about getting a few emergency power nightlights that only come on when the power is interrupted but they are expensive….what do you guys think about this situation?

If the BG’s come in while I’m home, they will be meeting Mr. Glock 22C with a 22 round magazine full of 180 grain Gold Dots.

If the BG’s come in while my wife is home, they will be meeting Mr. Glock 23C with a 13 round magazine full of 180 grain Gold Dots.
    Sounds like you got it covered then.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

I'm in North Idaho and we have a box outside the house and in the basement. House was built in 54.

Oklahoma....box in garage, all house and all garage doors are tied into alarm system.. if system is off, any doors or windows that open or close will cause a chime from the alarm, very helpful if you have a kid..
    S&W M&P 9c
    Ruger LCR + P (.38)
    Kahr PM9
    Taurus M851 (.38)

Quote Originally Posted by dirtrulz View Post
    So where you live trespassing is not illegal? It is never legal to enter someone elses property without permission. The power company can do it because you give them permission to gain access to their equipment when you sign up for service.
    It isn't trespassing to go on the property of another unless it is:

1) Posted
    2) Secured in such as way as to imply entry is restricted (like being fenced in)
    3) The person(s) doing so have been previously told not to enter or remain on the property

Anyone can legally enter your property if it doesn't meet the criteria above, or at least that is the way it works in the two states in which I have experience, North Carolina and Virginia. In any event, trespassing is a misdemeanor, and not something that the police are going to investigate or take fingerprints for.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links