They cut my power!

This is a discussion on They cut my power! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Landric It isn't trespassing to go on the property of another unless it is: 1) Posted 2) Secured in such as way ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: They cut my power!

Quote Originally Posted by Landric View Post
    It isn't trespassing to go on the property of another unless it is:

1) Posted
    2) Secured in such as way as to imply entry is restricted (like being fenced in)
    3) The person(s) doing so have been previously told not to enter or remain on the property

Anyone can legally enter your property if it doesn't meet the criteria above, or at least that is the way it works in the two states in which I have experience, North Carolina and Virginia. In any event, trespassing is a misdemeanor, and not something that the police are going to investigate or take fingerprints for.
    Do you have to meet all 3 or will just #1 cover it?
    I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

2. Remove Ads

I think you need to be watchful for sure, i live outside Charlotte, NC & just seen on the news the other night that burglers are targeting homes like yours (outside breaker boxes) to rob. The cut power & wait for a response to see if your home or not, happening quite a bit around here i guess. We are glad our box is indoors....Stay Safe
    Kimber Ultra Carry 2
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    Kahr PM45, Glock 19 (3rd Gen) & DiamondBack DB9
    NRA Life Member

Glad you reported it to the local power company. But you now need to tell them that the tamper clip they installed is gone due to mischievous kids or someone. Otherwise they may think you are trying to divert power and save a few bucks. Ask them to install a heavy duty tamper proof clip as it is their property. I am sure they have that kind of stuff... At least it will dissuade another kid incident if it happens again...

I doubt it was BG's...
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Quote Originally Posted by Cook74 View Post
    Glad you reported it to the local power company. But you now need to tell them that the tamper clip they installed is gone due to mischievous kids or someone. Otherwise they may think you are trying to divert power and save a few bucks. Ask them to install a heavy duty tamper proof clip as it is their property. I am sure they have that kind of stuff... At least it will dissuade another kid incident if it happens again...

I doubt it was BG's...
    In most cases the box outside is a "Disconnect" not a "Breaker Box". A disconnect is mostly used when the "Breaker Box" is not located directly inside from the meter (pretend your meter is located outside your living room, where you would not want a "Breaker Box" directly inside, and the wire had to be run to a different room), then a disconnect is used.

In my area the City & County are responsible up to the meter, and put the "tamper proof tags" on it, as they own it. The disconnect you own, are responsible for, and may lock as you wish. A lock is susceptible to being cut off by your local power company or fire dept in case they need to shut off power in an emergency. A house with no disconnect and they know the "Breaker Box" is directly opposite the meter, inside the house and has a "main breaker" (one breaker that kills the entire panel).

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    Oh, my personal favorite btw:

1AM doorbell ring... open door to check... firecrackers thrown at my feet from kids hiding around the corner. They ran off laughing.

Surveillance cameras went in the following week.
    You mean you missed every single one of them??? Need some more time at the range.

Just kiddin' of course!!

On a serious note, kids shouldn't be doing that kinda thing at 1AM...firecrackers going off at the door could prompt an armed, startled homeowner to open up...
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Quote Originally Posted by ddclancy View Post
    Do you have to meet all 3 or will just #1 cover it?
    Any one of the three will do, at least in North Carolina and Virginia. I don't have any direct experience with Kansas, but as its laws are based on English common law also, I suspect it is the same, or at least similar.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

The outside shut off was the first thing I locked when I bought my house in Az. Wasn't the best design in my opinin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links