They cut my power!

This is a discussion on They cut my power! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So here is the situation: About 2 weeks ago my wife was home alone and she heard 2 voices talking on the side of our ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: They cut my power!

They cut my power!

So here is the situation: About 2 weeks ago my wife was home alone and she heard 2 voices talking on the side of our house. I live in a residential neighborhood. This was at around 1pm and she didn’t know who they were or why they were there. All of the sudden the doorbell rings twice and then the power goes out. My thought on that is they were ringing to hear the power is on and then ringing to make sure they didn't hear anything to see if the power was fully out. The power comes back on 15sec later and the men are gone. This is very suspicious to me, so I called the electric company to see if anyone was out servicing our house. The electric company says no one was doing anything on my entire block. Once I got home, I went outside and inspected my power meters. I noticed that the breaker to my entire house is accessible right there and all you have to do is lift the cover and flip with switch. There was a place to lock the cover so I put a small padlock on it. After the incident, I made sure my flashlights were charged and ready because apparently the BG’s are going to cut the power before they come in. Also, I have thought about getting a few emergency power nightlights that only come on when the power is interrupted but they are expensive….what do you guys think about this situation?

If the BG’s come in while I’m home, they will be meeting Mr. Glock 22C with a 22 round magazine full of 180 grain Gold Dots.

If the BG’s come in while my wife is home, they will be meeting Mr. Glock 23C with a 13 round magazine full of 180 grain Gold Dots.
    Regoria75 and rugergunner like this.
    I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Man, Jehova's Witnesses are getting pushy these days....

Glad she is alright and nothing happened. Put the biggest padlock you can on your main; preferably the round ones that only expose a small area of the lock and would be very difficult to cut.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Well, if I had my rathers, a compensated gun would not be my first choice, in the dark.
    And if I knew a fight was coming, a pistol would be my second choice, after a rifle or shotty.

Just my thinking.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Man WTH where they doing? Our home alarm is always armed when we are home. It has battery backups in case power goes out. But if that doesn't stop them, my dogs will. And if my dogs don't stop them, then it's game on. I also have video cameras around house. It has successfully deterred a bad guy.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Well, if I had my rathers, a compensated gun would not be my first choice, in the dark.
    And if I knew a fight was coming, a pistol would be my second choice, after a rifle or shotty. Just my thinking.
    True, the muzzle flash from a compensator could be a problem in the dark but not on the first shot and the double tap is usually on target by muscle memory. I see your point though, a 22 round mag with a compensated gun in the dark is kind of self defeating after a few shots. The only Glock I have w/o a compensator is a Glock 27 that I use for CC. I could grab that just as easy. I keep the rifles locked up in the vault so a handgun is the primary option.

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    Man, Jehova's Witnesses are getting pushy these days....Glad she is alright and nothing happened. Put the biggest padlock you can on your main; preferably the round ones that only expose a small area of the lock and would be very difficult to cut.
    You are referring to a hockey puck lock for trailers. I tried that (great idea) but my power cover is at an angle, so it won't accommodate this type of lock.

One more thing I would have done besides calling the power company is call the police and report everything that happened. See if they could lift any prints from the meter/breaker.
    Always Carry, Never Tell. Stay Safe. EDC .40 S&W, BUG .380 ACP, HD .40 S&W , 5.56 and 12GA, Range Toys .357Mag , .22LR

Claymores around your breaker boxes, just make sure you notify the meter reader.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Claymores around your breaker boxes, just make sure you notify the meter reader.
    The M18 Claymore = a directional fragmentation mine, is 8-1/2 inches long, 1-3/8 inches wide, 3-1/4 inches high, and weighs 3-1/2 pounds. The mine contains 700 steel spheres (10.5 grains) and 1-1/2 pound layer of composition C-4 explosive and is initiated by a No. 2 electric blasting cap. The M18 command-detonated mine may be employed with obstacles or on the approaches, forward edges, flanks and rear edges of protective minefields as close-in protection against a dismounted Infantry attack.

....That would definatley alert me if there is an intruder trying to cut the power!
    darbo and Maximpactguns like this.

Could have been another utility like cable or phone?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by ddclancy View Post
    So here is the situation: About 2 weeks ago my wife was home alone and she heard 2 voices talking on the side of our house. I live in a residential neighborhood. This was at around 1pm and she didn’t know who they were or why they were there. All of the sudden the doorbell rings twice and then the power goes out. My thought on that is they were ringing to hear the power is on and then ringing to make sure they didn't hear anything to see if the power was fully out. The power comes back on 15sec later and the men are gone. This is very suspicious to me, so I called the electric company to see if anyone was out servicing our house. The electric company says no one was doing anything on my entire block. Once I got home, I went outside and inspected my power meters. I noticed that the breaker to my entire house is accessible right there and all you have to do is lift the cover and flip with switch. There was a place to lock the cover so I put a small padlock on it. After the incident, I made sure my flashlights were charged and ready because apparently the BG’s are going to cut the power before they come in. Also, I have thought about getting a few emergency power nightlights that only come on when the power is interrupted but they are expensive….what do you guys think about this situation?

If the BG’s come in while I’m home, they will be meeting Mr. Glock 22C with a 22 round magazine full of 180 grain Gold Dots.

If the BG’s come in while my wife is home, they will be meeting Mr. Glock 23C with a 13 round magazine full of 180 grain Gold Dots.
    So, are you saying that your wife is more accurate than you and needs fewer rounds?
    ep1953 likes this.

Be very Very VERY careful here... this isn't badguys.

It's neighborhood kids.

It's the current "fun thing to do". It's an extension of "ding, dong, ditch".

Been happening for a few years now. Have had it happen at my house often enough that we put a lock on the breaker box and installed surveillance cameras on the front door just so we wouldn't have to get up to check the door when someone does it at 11pm at night.

At one point early on when I still was bothered by it, I chased some kids down and gave them a talking to to explain that a paranoid homeowner might come out with a gun and they needed to be careful. It didn't dissuade them.

Don't bother calling the police. They won't/can't do anything. Just ignore it, they'll stop eventually.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My house power can only be cut off from the outside by removing the meter. All breaker boxes are inside except for A/C and water pump. No one should be messing with the meter since the power co. updated to a new digital model and doesn't even have to enter the yard to read it, just drive by and scan.

After the power co. denied being there, I'd have definitely made a report to the cops.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Oh, my personal favorite btw:

1AM doorbell ring... open door to check... firecrackers thrown at my feet from kids hiding around the corner. They ran off laughing.

Surveillance cameras went in the following week.

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    Be very Very VERY careful here... this isn't badguys.

It's neighborhood kids.

It's the current "fun thing to do". It's an extension of "ding, dong, ditch".

Been happening for a few years now. Have had it happen at my house often enough that we put a lock on the breaker box and installed surveillance cameras on the front door just so we wouldn't have to get up to check the door when someone does it at 11pm at night.

At one point early on when I still was bothered by it, I chased some kids down and gave them a talking to to explain that a paranoid homeowner might come out with a gun and they needed to be careful. It didn't dissuade them.

Don't bother calling the police. They won't/can't do anything. Just ignore it, they'll stop eventually.
    This gets my vote. Happened to an older gal a few houses down from me last year; she thought there was a power failure (rare in the Phoenix suburbs) and saw my lights on. Sure enough, her main breaker was tripped.

I just put a nylon tie-wrap on my box to discourage casual mischief. If there's a major electrical fire or fault, I don't want to search for a key or bolt cutters to reach the main breaker.
    DontTreadOnI, Hopyard and oakchas like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    This gets my vote. Happened to an older gal a few houses down from me last year; she thought there was a power failure (rare in the Phoenix suburbs) and saw my lights on. Sure enough, her main breaker was tripped.

I just put a nylon tie-wrap on my box to discourage casual mischief. If there's a major electrical fire or fault, I don't want to search for a key or bolt cutters to reach the main breaker.
    The zip tie is a great idea...
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links