Defensive Carry banner

"Reloading!"

2K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  Steve261 
#1 ·
I was watching an episode of "24" earlier today. Our hero, Jack Bauer along with his partner, busted in an apartment to nab the bad guys. Immediately, a gun fight ensues. After emptying his gun, Jack needs to reload. His partner doesn't know this because he's on the other side of the apartment. Jack then announces, "Reloading!". I couldn't believe he did this, it seemed to be a horrible idea to me. He's announcing to the bad guys, he's out of ammo and temporarily vulnerable. At the same time, however, he's letting his partner know that he can't cover him because he's in the process of reloading. I wondered to myself is this really protocol? Announce that you're reloading and in essence broadcast to the bad guys you're vulnerable? Can any LEOs please provide a little clarification on this matter for me? Did your department have a policy like this in place?

I realize that this is a "defensive scenario" section so to make it relevant, I'm proposing the same situation above. Only this time, instead of the protagonist being Jack Bauer accompanied by his partner, its you and your wife. Instead of breaking into an apartment to nab bad guys, you and your wife find yourselves in a situation where more than one person has busted into your house and you know they have guns. A gun fight ensues (like earlier) and you run your gun out. Do you announce to your wife that you're, "reloading" or do you remain silent? Keep in mind that she's not by your side and is in another part of the house and can't see you, etc.

What do you do?

See less See more
#4 ·
LMAO!!!

#16 ·
What is a "pro-word"?

Saw the Brits do the same thing in an Afghanistan combat video.
That's weird. I'm voting that we shouldn't copy the Brits in everything they do. ;-)

Just my thought, but if your in a firefirht, inside a house, your not going to hear what is being said. You can drop and have a new magazine in place before you get the other persons attention and they understand what your saying.
Agreed but at the same time, it was not constant gunfire. There were enough pauses that allowed you to hear such commands. I'm sorry, I should have made that clear in my original post. ;-)

Thank you, that truly brightened my day.
+1. I had to read it twice...lol.

Gentlemen - Loosely

PETA will be filing charges for animal abuse! :blink:

I just glad that there was no choking or spanking of those animals involved as that would be the death penality. :yup:
Agreed. You never want to ruffle the perverbal feathers of PETA. ;-)

#7 ·
Saw the Brits do the same thing in an Afghanistan combat video.

#9 ·
Just my thought, but if your in a firefirht, inside a house, your not going to hear what is being said. You can drop and have a new magazine in place before you get the other persons attention and they understand what your saying.

#14 ·
Gentlemen - Loosely

PETA will be filing charges for animal abuse! :blink:

I just glad that there was no choking or spanking of those animals involved as that would be the death penality. :yup:

#15 ·
All things considered, it's probably better to yell "reloading!" rather than "I'm out!"

In Pat Rogers' EAG courses, he has the trainees yell "malfunction" if the gun ties up, but most everyone running dry would have a fresh mag in by the time the final "-ing" left their lips.

#19 ·
Yes it is common practice in both military and police units.

#20 ·
Many times when I watch a TV show or a movie, something is going on that just does not seem right or is just plain dumb, stupid and wrong. I will reply "it is only a movie" or "it is only a TV show". That about sums up my reply. When you start reciting events that some movie or TV show have presented, you are entering a realm of fantasy and make believe--accept it for what it is and go on with your life.

#22 ·
In dealing with a team or partner, telling your buddy, in whatever term you use, is so that they can cover you while you reload, or clear a malfunction. Watch some of Travis Haley and Chris Costas drills and you will see what I am talking about. Instead of yelling "reloading"......they yell "cover". By yelling "cover" they telling their partner to cover them until they get back in the game. Yes, a reload should be fast, quick and easy. But what if its not?

Some units will come up with their own term, like "red"....meaning I'm reloading or have a malfunction......and then yell "green" when they are back up.

It's not bad juju......it's called team tactics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.