"Reloading!"

This is a discussion on "Reloading!" within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was watching an episode of "24" earlier today. Our hero, Jack Bauer along with his partner, busted in an apartment to nab the bad ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: "Reloading!"

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar

"Reloading!"

I was watching an episode of "24" earlier today. Our hero, Jack Bauer along with his partner, busted in an apartment to nab the bad guys. Immediately, a gun fight ensues. After emptying his gun, Jack needs to reload. His partner doesn't know this because he's on the other side of the apartment. Jack then announces, "Reloading!". I couldn't believe he did this, it seemed to be a horrible idea to me. He's announcing to the bad guys, he's out of ammo and temporarily vulnerable. At the same time, however, he's letting his partner know that he can't cover him because he's in the process of reloading. I wondered to myself is this really protocol? Announce that you're reloading and in essence broadcast to the bad guys you're vulnerable? Can any LEOs please provide a little clarification on this matter for me? Did your department have a policy like this in place?

I realize that this is a "defensive scenario" section so to make it relevant, I'm proposing the same situation above. Only this time, instead of the protagonist being Jack Bauer accompanied by his partner, its you and your wife. Instead of breaking into an apartment to nab bad guys, you and your wife find yourselves in a situation where more than one person has busted into your house and you know they have guns. A gun fight ensues (like earlier) and you run your gun out. Do you announce to your wife that you're, "reloading" or do you remain silent? Keep in mind that she's not by your side and is in another part of the house and can't see you, etc.

What do you do?

2. Remove Ads

At the outside, it would take 3-5 seconds to drop the empty magazine, insert a fresh one, rack the slide and be back in action. In the time it takes to say "reloading", I'm halfway done. No need to say anything.
    Secret Spuk and BkCo1 like this.

I'm gonna develope code words with my wife like "Petting the Rabbit" she will know I'm reloading,"slapping the ferret" I'm out of ammo,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I'm gonna develope code words with my wife like "Petting the Rabbit" she will know I'm reloading,"slapping the ferret" I'm out of ammo,
    LMAO!!!
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Some units are trained to do this when in a team engagement, as this lets eam-mates know they need to cover down...

usually its a pro-word though.

no chickens or monkeys???
    TX expat likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Saw the Brits do the same thing in an Afghanistan combat video.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HillyBilly View Post
    no chickens or monkeys???
    If I posted what I'm thinking, I'd be banned for life!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Just my thought, but if your in a firefirht, inside a house, your not going to hear what is being said. You can drop and have a new magazine in place before you get the other persons attention and they understand what your saying.
    dV8r, Secret Spuk and atctimmy like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

These code words sound like codes for...something else.
    StarPD45 likes this.

Get your minds out of the sewer and back in the gutter where they belong lol.
    sdprof likes this.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Thank you, that truly brightened my day.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    And she's gonna holler back, "Now? Can't that wait?"
    RoadRunner71 and atctimmy like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Gentlemen - Loosely

PETA will be filing charges for animal abuse!

I just glad that there was no choking or spanking of those animals involved as that would be the death penality.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

All things considered, it's probably better to yell "reloading!" rather than "I'm out!"

In Pat Rogers' EAG courses, he has the trainees yell "malfunction" if the gun ties up, but most everyone running dry would have a fresh mag in by the time the final "-ing" left their lips.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links