Strange bump in the night...

This is a discussion on Strange bump in the night... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live with my step mother, my father, my sister and my step sister. 3 story house with the backyard butting up to a golf ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Strange bump in the night...

I live with my step mother, my father, my sister and my step sister. 3 story house with the backyard butting up to a golf course. People are in and out all the time, normally no bumps in the night. But 45 mins ago, about 12:15am, I was awoken by a loud thump, followed by another so hard it shook my bedroom door. Everyone else woke up also, dogs were on the ground floor barking... I grabbed my loaded G19 and told my step mother to dial 911 and stay in their bedroom while i slowly checked the house. Nothing seemed out of place.
    Local police swung by and took a look around, some weird foot prints in the snow around back, but that could be from anyone that lives here.... Real wake up call. The alarm system is now armed for the rest of the night, normally it's off because of the amount of foot traffic here. Stay safe out there everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CAnt be to careful. That being said something hitting a door outside hard enough to shake your bedroom door should have left a mark as they say. I betting it was something that shook the whole house. No idea what since I dont live where you do.

Bigfoot prolly. I would always set the alarm, though.
    aus71383 likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Check your roof, there may be a big limb up there. We had a wind storm last week and heard this loud noise that shook the whole house, and it later turned out to be a big limb that hit the top of the house and then slid down the side of the house.

Brad is right, however, always set the alarm. Maybe turn off the motion sensors, but always set the rest of the alarm.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Setting the alarm just does not work out. I'm in and out at all times of night for fire calls, my step sister works odd hours and then goes out after work, my sister is in and out alot at night. It would be to much of a hassle to have it armed all the time. I wish we could though. And nothin on the roof, I live in northeast pa, not sure what the hell made that noise!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crestwood1001 View Post
    Setting the alarm just does not work out. I'm in and out at all times of night for fire calls, my step sister works odd hours and then goes out after work, my sister is in and out alot at night. It would be to much of a hassle to have it armed all the time. I wish we could though. And nothin on the roof, I live in northeast pa, not sure what the hell made that noise!

They make alarm systems that can be armed and disarmed with a key fob, like is used on a car. Look into one of those. An alarm system is useless if your not going to use it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Why have an alarm if it is too much trouble to arm it? Are you paying for your alarm to be monitored?

I have a friend who walked in on two guys robbing his house...he started setting his alarm after that...

My alarm system can be activated/deactivated with a app on my iphone.
    Kimber Solo 9mm, Walther PPS 9mm
    Kel Tec PF9 9mm, Ruger LCR .38
    Maverick 88 Tactical 12 ga shotgun at bedside
    Lifetime NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by BamaAlum97 View Post
    Why have an alarm if it is too much trouble to arm it? Are you paying for your alarm to be monitored?

I have a friend who walked in on two guys robbing his house...he started setting his alarm after that...
    Our house was the model home for our development for a year before they built a new one and we bought this one, it's decked out with all the bells and whistles. It's monitored yes, but more so for fire and carbon monoxide protection. We live in a very low crime area, the only time it's really armed is when we are away. The keyless deactivation, although nice, would still not work, because we all know how useful teenage girls are for making sure things are done. They would either not active it on the way out, or forget to deactivate it on the way in. Although on the flip side, all the foot traffic through the house certainly makes it a less likely target, the house is rarely if ever empty.

We live in a very low crime area, the only time it's really armed is when we are away.
    I don't mean to be rude or anything, but low crime doesn't ever mean no crime, and you could be next. Wouldn't you want the early warning afforded you if someone should pop the lock on the back door or shimmy a window late some evening? Even a few seconds could make the difference. How hard could it be to impress that upon your family members? After all, it's not like you're asking them to find Jimmy Hoffa or anything...just pushing a few buttons going in or out.

Never said low crime meant no crime. It's just unrealistic to try and use the system, eventually there would be so many false alarms it would get ignored. I have two German shepherds for early warning. If they are barking in the middle of the night, something's wrong.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    After they trip the alarm a time or 2, they'll remember to check it. Make it worth their while.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    After they trip the alarm a time or 2, they'll remember to check it. Make it worth their while.
    You might consider telling the teenage girls in the house that every time they fail to set the alarm they will loose the use of their cell phone for one month. I believe they will get REAL GOOD about setting the alarm......

I have been wrong before.

Since there was snow on the ground it could not have been golf balls hitting your house. As far as the alarm goes at night when anyone leaves my house they turn off the alarm and then turn it back on as they leave. No excuses. Having an alarm without using it is like going out with your weapon and without any bullets.

Keep safe.

Had the same thing happen here about a week ago. It had turned off cold, and the only thing I could figure out is the house settled/popped a little due to the ground freezing deeper. More than just temperature pops, it was like the whole roof moved just a little bit. Either that, or a possum, cat, or coon jumped on the roof from a tree, but I didn't see any tracks. Amazing how much noise a house makes when it's quiet in the winter time.
    Truckinbutch likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links