Worst layout

Worst layout

This is a discussion on Worst layout within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After reading many posts on all possible scenarios for defending or handling a late night break-in, I've decided that I have the worst possible layout ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Worst layout

Worst layout

After reading many posts on all possible scenarios for defending or handling a late night break-in, I've decided that I have the worst possible layout for defending my family in a time like that. My house is wide open, the master bedroom is on one side of the house, my 2 yr daughter's is on the other. The whole house is one level. There are 4 different entry doors, all either enter the center of the home or lead directly to it. It's also worth mentioning that there are tons of windows. Any advice on how to effectively handle a situation like a break in would be appreciated. Tactically, what should I do to get to my daughter? What products should I use(alarm systems, perimeter survaliance)?
    I know I need to install an alarm system but I need to be notified before someone enters my home. I thought about the perimeter motion detectors like driveway sensors but I kind've live in the woods and there's lots of animals. I'm worried about a lot of false alarms. I do have 2 boxers that would at least bark and run after anyone in the house. I have my sig locked and loaded next to the bed when i sleep but what else should I do?

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Contact a professional in the home security business. That's what they get paid to figure out.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

With 2 dogs roaming there souldn't be a problem as to where or when......

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Contact a professional in the home security business. That's what they get paid to figure out.
    ^^^ What he said! ^^^
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    If your budget allows, a security company is a great idea. They can hook you up with any number of door/window/motion sensors. Mine has a STAY feature which alarms at a perimeter breach but does not activate the motion sensors, and the AWAY activates everything. I also have two dogs, so I had to consider them when I'm gone and they are home - I don't want them tripping the motion sensors. I had a vibration sensor (for breaking glass), but had to have it deactivated, because my dogs would jump up and paw the windows when they saw somebody. It activated the vibration sensor. So do consider that if you choose an alarm company.

If it's too expensive, Radio Shack, Home Depot and other vendors have alarm kits you can install yourself. My dad chose this route - he picked glass breaking sensors and motion sensors. You can get expandable kits that are wireless. Many kits will even dial the phone number of your choice with a pre-recorded message if the alarm trips.

Many alarm kits include keyfob activators that can even turn your lights on/off. That would be a handy feature if someone broke in your house. You have lights on everywhere instantly, which is great for clearly ID'ing your target, and can scare off the intruder before things get hairy.

If your budget is tiny, you can at least go for battery operated window alarms. One on your daughter's window can give you great piece of mind, in case some creep tries to come in to get her.

Other preventatives like motion-operated floodlights are also great. Place them up high so someone casing your house won't unscrew the bulbs during the day. I was burgled once, and they did that to my back porch light.
    rocky likes this.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

My first priority is to install an alarm system. I'm looking into arming all the doors and windows. That would give me some sense of security but I still feel I'd need to be notified sooner. If someone came in my back door it's literly 10' away from my bedroom door. Plus, my number 1 objective would be to get to my daughters room. Lets say my house alarm goes off, should my wife and I make a B line to her room?, should we come out and work our way over there more cautiously? I hate to assume anything in a time like that but I would imagine my dogs would run straight toward the intruder notifying me of his location and buying us some time but I can't really count on that.

My windows and doors are monitored with switches to detect if opened. I dosent leave me with much of a sense of security. I have heavy security doors on all entry points but windows are vulnerable. I like the idea of vibration sensors on windows but that still does not slow the BG down or give you time to get your family to a safe room with guns.

I just had a company out to look at installing an impact resistant security film over all my windows. A BG would have to go at your window for minute or more with a hamer before they could gain access. In most cases with a vibration sensor alarm they would be gone before that time. The minute or so bought by that security film would make a BIG difference in your ability to prepare your family. Cost of the film installed was $8.50 a sq/ft.

I have seen the air pressure bells work well in a driveway. Think gas station bell. It will only trip if a car runs it over. If your in the woods I would bet the bad guys drive up.

Defense in depth. Keep adding to it when you can afford it.

Perimeter motion/heat detectors work well...... and they can easily be adjusted so they don't pick up things within 2 ft of the ground. But, getting some credible professional advice would be good on locating, etc. Also, consider outside cameras with an inside monitor... so you can check and "see" each around the house... there are many that aren't that expensive. Motion detection lights ... on all sides or corners as well.

Double locks on doors ? Door alarms ?

I wouldn't want my 2 yr daughter on the other side of the house. You know what you can or can't do there.

911 : How do you know they are on the west side of your house ?
    Me : because the motion alarm, the motion light both went on side .... and the door on that side is the side my 3 dogs are alerting on. I'm going to add ...... because that's the side I can them on with the monitor.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    My house is set up mostly like yours, lots of glass, all rooms open on to the main living room, etc But I have a few things working for me. I live 100 yds off the road, you have to pass through two locked gates to get to the house, You have to pass through a livestock gate and a small enclosure around the house that keeps the dogs in. like layered rings around the house. the horses and chickens alert the dogs, and the dogs alert us. DR

VIP Member
    First things first- CQB is dangerous business, and that's what this is. You need to train to be able to do it well. No amount of forum advice can really teach you how to go about doing it. If you cannot get to a class at least look into a DVD or something to get you thinking the right direction. I know Suarez used to have a good one, I'm sure it is available somewhere.

If your wife shoots, or is willing to learn, having her as a teammate could make all the difference in the world should you ever have to respond to an intruder. Going it alone is best left for the movies if at all possible.
    atctimmy likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    All-round good advise covered just about everything. Harden all doors and windows. Outside sensors should be set high enough that your dog(s) cannot trip them but a person would. You may have to put up with deer tripping them. Cameras covering the area will quickly tell you if there is danger present. you may have to do it a piece at a time but eventually you'll get there.

Consider moving the child or yourselves to be closer for a couple years, even building a temporary room if that is of great concern to you.
    Baby monitor set up from the child's room to yours? If your house is big enough, several baby monitors strategically set up around the house.

Have a plan, you both exit the bedroom together, you providing cover as wife makes a bee line to child (she should be armed also).
    I have a police/security belt at the ready with equipment mounted. If there is time I will grab the belt, snap it on and holster the handgun. I then instantly have at my disposal, a flashlight, cell phone, 2 spare mags and the option of grabbing the shotgun if desired. Not perfect but that's what I've got.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

There are several things to worry about as I see it with the lay out you describe. Invasion is one fire is the other.
    Bolting to your daughters room during a home invasion could get you killed very quickly. In case of a fire you may not be able to reach her from inside which precludes using bars on the windows since that could be the only way you had to get her out from the outside in case of a fire.
    Is there no other bed room on your side of the home to move your daughter to as her bedroom?

Quote Originally Posted by boxer123 View Post
    My house is wide open, the master bedroom is on one side of the house, my 2 yr daughter's is on the other. The whole house is one level. There are 4 different entry doors, all either enter the center of the home or lead directly to it.
    My house is the same way.

If someone broke in, I would have no choice but to storm into the living room with my shotgun and try to get to the BG before they could make it into one of the kids rooms.
    pittypat21 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links