New scenario I thought about would like some help with - Page 2

New scenario I thought about would like some help with

This is a discussion on New scenario I thought about would like some help with within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ddclancy I guess she should have purchased a gun for self defense instead of relying on you for protection. Either that, or ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: New scenario I thought about would like some help with

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ddclancy View Post
    I guess she should have purchased a gun for self defense instead of relying on you for protection.
    Either that, or move to a state where I can legally possess a loaded firearm.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    well,as described, you of course have no choice. your moral duty is abundantly clear. i do not think anybody could live with himself if he didn't respond. of course inform the police, but run over there. Ask for the Lord's help and guidance, and go to their aid.
    AK_Brian likes this.
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

I've got a similar situation in that my brother's house is literally one street up from my house, and he and his family are also is defenseless. We're working on a firearm solution for him now, but until then I told him to call the police and then me.

Frankly, law be damned, he's my brother. I'm 60 second flat out sprint away, the police aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Brian View Post
    I've got a similar situation in that my brother's house is literally one street up from my house, and he and his family are also is defenseless. We're working on a firearm solution for him now, but until then I told him to call the police and then me.

Frankly, law be damned, he's my brother. I'm 60 second flat out sprint away, the police aren't.
    I thought everyone in Alaska had a firearm. I heard that on tv I have to agree law be damned I would do the same thing
    AK_Brian likes this.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

VIP Member
    My in-laws live in Maryland by choice, and think guns, including mine, should be banned.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    - If at all possible, the family member must have a plan of action to defend himself. I can't be a babysitter to an able-bodied, able-minded adult. Whether it's retreating to a safe, barricaded location and using weapons at hand, that member must take upon himself the primary responsibility of defending himself.

- If I intend to help in person beyond dialing 911, I must be reasonably proficient in house clearing, otherwise I could wind up wounded or dead. I must know the layout of the house and have clearly labeled keys to all entry doors to that house.

- I must be identified as the good guy to the cops. If I'm too busy hoofing it to the scene to place a call myself, the family member must describe me to the police, but it will only be helpful to a degree; if that person hasn't seen me that day, how does he know what I'm wearing to describe me in detail? A reflective wearable ID like The DSM Safety Banner might be a great idea here.

- It would be a great idea to have a first aid kit with some good compression bandages and know how to use it, because the relative might be injured by the time you arrive. Have a go kit ready.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfuelrm View Post
    I thought everyone in Alaska had a firearm. I heard that on tv
    Nah, there are -plenty- of Alaskan's who don't own guns, especially in Anchorage. That much said, I would feel pretty confident in saying that we probably have a higher ratio of gun owners to non gun owners than most states. If nothing else, there's probably enough guns every few houses to arm each neighborhood they are in :P
    Jetfuelrm likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Not taking into account any laws, I'd be hoofing it toward the relatives home armed openly WHILE I'm on 911 describing myself IN DETAIL so I'm not the first target of arriving officers.

As said earlier, no concealed here so permit wouldn't be an issue.
    Smart call here

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    all of us sitting her arm chair quarterbacking it here is one thing. There are some good Ideas here, but to me the most real possibility is grabbing whatever combat fighting gun I have on hand (no pocket pistols) and going over... But if you care deeply about this person as I think you do I would get them trained and if possible off to help pay for training or the gun and teach them how to defend themselves... Make them see even that it might take you some time to respond and they are still on their own.

Just a thought.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Absolutely valid point spec - and I'd agree that is the route to go.

That much said, it also defeats the scenario. The best solution to this would be to avoid it, I agree, but in the absence of that as a solution...

New scenario I thought about would like some help with

Trust me I agree 100% spec I. That I wish she would be armed, however she does not feel it is necessary to own a firearm , she believed that her bat next to her bed is proficient. There is no real plan for her to call me but I already receive calls for other odd things that aren't life threatening so can imagine that this too could happen. I offer taking her to the range just to atleast get her feet wet haven't happened yet but will continue to try

Quote Originally Posted by ddclancy View Post
    I guess she should have purchased a gun for self defense instead of relying on you for protection.
    This. Did she call 911 or you first? So you respond with an open carry, putting yourself in the middle of the BGs and the PD. Calling the PD and advising them of what you're doing and they'll tell you to stay home and don't be armed. Will the dispatcher put out your description to the units in time, or completely confuse the issue about who you are and what you're doing there with a gun. All they are going to hear is "man with gun".

I understand the concept, but disagree with the sentiment.
    In Absentia Luci Tenebrae Vincu

There is a line between good and evil, no wider than a razor's edge.
    I hold the line.
    I am the line.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links