Courthouses after hours - Page 2

Courthouses after hours

This is a discussion on Courthouses after hours within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "Originally Posted by TX PC 46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Courthouses after hours

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    "Originally Posted by TX PC 46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED
    (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):

1. on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution;

2. on the premises of a polling place on the day of an election or while early voting is in progress;

3. on the premises of any government court or offices utilized by the court, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the court;"

You can, and should, petition the court for written authorization as provided for in the statute. It doesn't make sense to me to be in violation when there is a remedy available.

Quote Originally Posted by goldandwhite View Post
    Since there is no definitive procedure in receiving permission to carry after hours at work, I've pretty well decided that the only way any one would even know I was armed after hours would be if I actually had to defend myself. I would rather be alive and in trouble over the clarification of a law than be dead or injured. I'm just going to keep the fact that I am armed after hours to myself and be as discreet as possible with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    You can, and should, petition the court for written authorization as provided for in the statute. It doesn't make sense to me to be in violation when there is a remedy available.
    Yup. With a clear procedure in the statutes, I highly doubt any DA or court is going to be very open to the concept of willful criminality. Hard to claim one didn't know what's what, too, after posting clear intent on the internet.

Bad juju, G&W. Bad juju. I suggest you fully read the 46.03 provisions, specifically paragraph (g):

TX PC 46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED.

(g) An offense under this section is a third degree felony.
    The question for you, then, beyond the obvious decision to remain an upstanding citizen, is: are you willing to forego your right to keep and bear arms because of a felony firearms-related conviction?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    You'd think that as a "Maintenance Director", you would be keen to all going's-on with your building and if there are any specific threats. If you think so, talk to some sheriff's deputies who I'm sure would make the rounds for you, as it is a court house.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.--->Herbert Spencer

Springfield xd 45, Sig Sauer SP2022(9mm),Remington 700(.308), Yugo M10 variant w/IZH Kobra optic,...and lots of ammo for all of 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by xsigma40cal View Post
    You'd think that as a "Maintenance Director", you would be keen to all going's-on with your building and if there are any specific threats. If you think so, talk to some sheriff's deputies who I'm sure would make the rounds for you, as it is a court house.
    If I have to go reset a boiler at 2:00am I won't be able to get a deputy to meet me at the courthouse. I'm talking about protecting myself after hours, in an empty building.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post

Which court? The commissioners court, the county courts, the district courts, or all of them?

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Yup. With a clear procedure in the statutes, I highly doubt any DA or court is going to be very open to the concept of willful criminality. Hard to claim one didn't know what's what, too, after posting clear intent on the internet.

Bad juju, G&W. Bad juju. I suggest you fully read the 46.03 provisions, specifically paragraph (g):

The question for you, then, beyond the obvious decision to remain an upstanding citizen, is: are you willing to forego your right to keep and bear arms because of a felony firearms-related conviction?
    No, I'm not willing to take that chance. I'll ask for written permission, but who exactly is "the court"? Is it the commissioners court, the two county courts, the two district courts, or would any one of the five be sufficient?

No, I'm not willing to take that chance. I'll ask for written permission, but who exactly is "the court"? Is it the commissioners court, the two county courts, the two district courts, or would any one of the five be sufficient?
    They'll need to tell you that. Head to the information desk and ask about requesting authorizations for exemptions from "the court" and who you'd need to speak with to make such requests. I imagine it might vary from court to court. You could always ask the "top" judge or his/her chief assistant.

...I know nothing of the law in Maine...but in Texas, you've just advised the OP that you would commit a 3rd degree felony...which would cost him his CCW, his gun rights, and his freedom...I'm sure you didn't mean to do that...but that's how different the laws are from state to state...
    Quote Originally Posted by Stetson View Post
    Talk to sitting Judge.I too did same thing for county.we had sitting Supreme Judge and at least one sittingSuperior Court Judge,often visiting Judge.Then talk to County Commisioners.If you truly are the last one in the building I'd stash my piece in
    a safe place in my desk and tell no one.Your life worth more than a job. I can't tell you what to do but I'd put it in my truck.
    I live in Maine and a law that say it's legal for employee can keep a loaded firearm in their vehicle as long as they have a permit. I've keep my mouth shut before the law at my previous employer because there's a large population of international students who come here pennlies and leave with education that would cost you and me over $250,000;with none of their own money!! Good luck and if you go public let us know the outcome.

...you're going to commit a 3rd degree felony??? there go your gun license, you gun rights, and your voting rights...not to mention your freedom and your employment...I suggest you rethink that decision...and go see the judge...with him you have a chance...doing it your way is just plain foolish...
    Since there is no definitive procedure in receiving permission to carry after hours at work, I've pretty well decided that the only way any one would even know I was armed after hours would be if I actually had to defend myself. I would rather be alive and in trouble over the clarification of a law than be dead or injured. I'm just going to keep the fact that I am armed after hours to myself and be as discreet as possible with it. Thanks for the input from all of you.
    ...edited to say I see that you've rethunk your thinking...let us know what the judge says...hope he does what's best for you...

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...you're going to commit a 3rd degree felony???
    No, he's not willing to go near that one. He answered that in Post #21.

...I got there...after I posted...thanks...
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    No, he's not willing to go near that one. He answered that in Post #21.

I apologize for being "all over the place" with this thread. I'm just trying to get information (and advice) on how to proceed with this. I am confident that whichever court representative that I speak with will see no harm in my protecting myself in an empty building after hours. I live in a very conservative and pro-gun rights area of Texas. I didn't even know, when I started this thread, that there was process to get the permission I need to remedy my situation. It would be foolish for me not to try going through the proper channels to get written permission when that is available to me. Thanks for the clarifications from everyone, and this just shows how important that the information on this website is.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    You haven't done it yet?
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

I did today. The judge also happened to also be a concealed handgun licensee, completely understood my concerns and said he would run it through the proper channels for approval. I feel confident it will be approved.
    Snub44 and Rock and Glock like this.

actually there is a way ..

Since there is no definitive procedure in receiving permission to carry after hours at work, I've pretty well decided that the only way any one would even know I was armed after hours would be if I actually had to defend myself. I would rather be alive and in trouble over the clarification of a law than be dead or injured. I'm just going to keep the fact that I am armed after hours to myself and be as discreet as possible with it. Thanks for the input from all of you.
    As posted above,

Hoganbeg

"Originally Posted by TX PC 46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED
    (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):

1. on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution;

2. on the premises of a polling place on the day of an election or while early voting is in progress;

3. on the premises of any government court or offices utilized by the court, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the court;"

You can get written permission from the court (Judge) to carry. I think I would attempt to do just that.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links