Courthouses after hours

This is a discussion on Courthouses after hours within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by TedBeau As posted above, You can get written permission from the court (Judge) to carry. I think I would attempt to do ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Courthouses after hours

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    As posted above,

You can get written permission from the court (Judge) to carry. I think I would attempt to do just that.
    I did. Read post #29.

2. Remove Ads

Courthouses after hours

If you talk to the judge, and maybe stop in and speak to the county prosecutor one day about it (or ask the judge if he can introduce you to the prosecutor) you will be good to go.

Wouldn't hurt anything to get something in writing from one or both of them.

Good topic by the way.... probably not many in your situation but for those who are this will be a helpful thread.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Just curious and hope you post what the judge tells you after he has gone through the proper channels. Good luck and thanks for posting

I've spoken to the county judge and the D.A., with both of them telling me that they had no problem with me carrying in the buildings after hours. I don't have anything in writing yet, and I'll probably give them a couple of more weeks before I bring it up again.

...awesome news...wise of you to wait for the paperwork...politicians are especially prone to selective amnesia...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    And keep a copy of the authorization on you in case questions are asked.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by xsigma40cal View Post
    You'd think that as a "Maintenance Director", you would be keen to all going's-on with your building and if there are any specific threats. If you think so, talk to some sheriff's deputies who I'm sure would make the rounds for you, as it is a court house.
    why would the sheriff's deputies share that info with maintenance?if they deemed a threat valid, I'm sure deputies would be in place.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by goldandwhite View Post
    I've spoken to the county judge and the D.A., with both of them telling me that they had no problem with me carrying in the buildings after hours. I don't have anything in writing yet, and I'll probably give them a couple of more weeks before I bring it up again.
    After hours, do you go through security? Anyone in place to monitor security?
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

...those aren't the questions to ask...the question is: "...do I want to be committing a 3rd degree felony?"

...he doesn't...that's why he's working on the written permission that is allowed for within the law...CYAWP...Semper Fi!!!
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    After hours, do you go through security? Anyone in place to monitor security?
    No, usually I'm in an empty building resetting a boiler or an air handler. Security leaves as soon as the last court is finished for the day and the building has been locked up.

I had our senior district judge tell me today that he would write and sign a document giving me permission to carry a concealed weapon in the courthouse, and the county judge also informed me that the state of Texas is about to pass legislation authorizing the commissioners courts in the state to approve county employees with a CHL license to carry on county property as well. I had already been told by the county judge and county DA that they wouldn't prosecute me for using my weapon in self defense, but our county lawyer told me to get it in writing so as to comply with the law in full.
    Snub44, ccw9mm and Rock and Glock like this.

...awesome good news...worth the effort to get official sanction!!!

Thumbs up

I had our senior district judge tell me today that he would write and sign a document giving me permission to carry a concealed weapon in the courthouse, and the county judge also informed me that the state of Texas is about to pass legislation authorizing the commissioners courts in the state to approve county employees with a CHL license to carry on county property as well. I had already been told by the county judge and county DA that they wouldn't prosecute me for using my weapon in self defense, but our county lawyer told me to get it in writing so as to comply with the law in full.
    Perfect result.

Texas impresses me more and more, these days.

Ahhh, Texas! Where common sense is seemingly more common than most other places. Downright refreshing.
    goldandwhite likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I finally (after 4 months ) got a written letter from the District Judge authorizing me to carry concealed on courthouse property. I will have that letter, along with a copy of my CHL license, put in my permanent employee file.
    Snub44 likes this.

I finally (after 4 months ) got a written letter from the District Judge authorizing me to carry concealed on courthouse property. I will have that letter, along with a copy of my CHL license, put in my permanent employee file.
    And that is how we do that.

Congratulations, G&W.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links