Code Words and SA While Travelling With Spouse - Page 3

Code Words and SA While Travelling With Spouse

This is a discussion on Code Words and SA While Travelling With Spouse within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Funny thread!! The only code word we have is that my wifes 9mm shield is called "lem" from the tv show "the shield." The only ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Code Words and SA While Travelling With Spouse

Funny thread!!

The only code word we have is that my wifes 9mm shield is called "lem" from the tv show "the shield."
    The only value it carrys is that it rides in the center console of her car most of the time and on trips. We can talk about it without anybody knowing we are talking about a gun. "Do you have lem?" Yep! Mostly as a reminder to remove it when the car gets parked outside overnight or for long periods.

I carry concealed 99% of the time in public so she knows i have mine.

As a side note: many police departments are switching to "plain speech" radio communication vs the old 10-codes. Better cross agency and emergency situation conprehension.
    PROTECT THE FLOCK, CONFRONT THE WOLF.....

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    My EDC is named Rusty, so that's what me and my wife talk about if we need to talk about it.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 19, 9mm.
    Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro, 9mm. Gave To Daughter To Carry.
    Self Defense Stories
    Give me a minute before I post again.

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    If you happen to be married to someone who takes a highly self defensive posture, then maybe it would have some value, but I think it's really very situational.
    My wife and I have a safe word for our home. It's not very widely distributed at all, but the concept is if a friend has to get into our home at night for some bizarre reason they shout the word and we know it's a friend. Other than that, when out and about we don't have a code. We do a very good job of communicating without words. We can practically hold conversations.

As far as I can remember my wife has never heard me use a command voice nor speak in anger. I've yelled at my share of drivers, but there's a difference between annoyance and sincere anger. I suspect if it happened she'd know in a hurry something was wrong.

Also she carries and has good SA, knowing that she has to be on her toes moreso than I do. She knows that if I were to get in a physical altercation I could hold my own with anyone not trained pretty well in hand-to-hand, but she's small and has to take every advantage she can.
    TX expat likes this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member
    we have "key words" that apply to a handful of situations (all clear, duress, be more aware, etc.) and we both think very much alike so they're pretty much unforgetable. We don't share the details with anyone.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Yeah we have a distress word because there are some situations where you may need it. Now granted I may just say GUN, RUN or GET DOWN but I don't leave anything to chance. We also practice it. I wont get into the scenarios but it's a valid tool. Like Burger Boy's example of his gun nicknamed Rusty. If my wife was to call me Rusty I would know something was up.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    If in public and I something gets my attention I tell my wife to "watch your purse"
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Code words can get you in trouble. I told my wife to "Get Down" and she got up and danced...

Please note sarcasm... but code words take time to decipher and that split second or two may be the difference between talking to the coroner or the police afterward.
    TX expat and OldVet like this.
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

That's funny Cook. Seriously though you need both. If you were having a garage sale and you're wife realized a man approaching and talking (interviewing and positioning) was about to do something she could call you by that wrong name or say "Honey, go get Rusty to come help us". The criminal would have no clue you were about to round the corner with a Glock held behind your back.

There's never one simple solution...
    atctimmy likes this.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I have never been much for code words/phrases but my wife knows anytime I use the Vietnamese word lets "di- di- mau" (to go)it means to take caution, there is a serious problem and we are to leave now without hesitation. I have used it once in a beer joint and she knew to follow my lead, in this case, she followed me out a side door without hesitation. Anytime my wife wants to know if I armed she will ask "do you have a companion".
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

No code words - usually the wife or one of my kids whispering to me, "Do you have your gun?" because they saw someone suspicious.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

Distinguished Member
    Good info in this thread. Comedy too. Learned a few things and had a some good laughs. Thanks to all who contributed.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

This thread is hilarious! I was thinking my gun needed a name...

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cook74 View Post
    Code words can get you in trouble. I told my wife to "Get Down" and she got up and danced...

Please note sarcasm... but code words take time to decipher and that split second or two may be the difference between talking to the coroner or the police afterward.
    That's an old Vietnam era joke that, if you don't know it, I don't intend to explain.

The only code word I ever needed to alert the wife something bad is about to happen is "Oh crap!"--in it's unprintable form, of course.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links