Code Words and SA While Travelling With Spouse

This is a discussion on Code Words and SA While Travelling With Spouse within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife and I travel by truck w/ travel trailer for vacations, and consequently stop frequently to eat at restaurants and use their facilities, or ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Code Words and SA While Travelling With Spouse

Code Words and SA While Travelling With Spouse

My wife and I travel by truck w/ travel trailer for vacations, and consequently stop frequently to eat at restaurants and use their facilities, or at gas stations/truck stops and, less frequently, highway rest stops. Read an article on a forum a while back about a couple who developed code words to advise the other about perceived threats they see and escalating levels of awareness and response.

Can't find where I read it, but thought it was good info at the time. Now that I'm spending more time on this forum, thought I'd see what the response is here, and hopefully someone can direct me to the thread if it's been discussed. A search turned up a lot of off-topic stuff. So, talk amongst yourselves...

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I don't want to waste time trying to decypher code words in an emergency. Gun, get down, or run will do nicely. My wife knows my usual tone from my serious tone.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

My wife and I's code word is, if my gun starts showing she says "Your clothes look stupid".... it usually gets my attention pretty quick and I know whats wrong.

When it comes to SHTF... its usually pretty obvious since we are both in the military... "hit the deck" usually works or on the range "THREAT!!"
    oldnfat likes this.

Just don't get it confused with the "safe" word.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slidewayz240 View Post
    My wife and I's code word is, if my gun starts showing she says "Your clothes look stupid".... it usually gets my attention pretty quick and I know whats wrong.

When it comes to SHTF... its usually pretty obvious since we are both in the military... "hit the deck" usually works or on the range "THREAT!!"
    My wife just says, "Your gun is showing," to which I counter-reply, "Oh, thanks."
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

My wife will say "The deer is dead... don't drink the water." The correct counter is "The moon shines high at midnight". We like to keep it simple.
    Lish, Darrow75, TX expat and 13 others like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

My wife and I just cup our hands around our mouths and caw at each other like crows. It's real inconspicuous...especially in the Walmart.
    Brad426, TX expat, KBSR and 7 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrow75 View Post
    My wife and I just cup our hands around our mouths and caw at each other like crows. It's real inconspicuous...especially in the Walmart.
    We call that "Bottle Rocket style".
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    Whenever we've been in this situation my wife usually just says something like "that guy over there is acting really suspicious, do you have your gun on you?" to which my reply is "could you talk any louder"...
    Brad426, Jambie, Pkupmn98 and 9 others like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Hmmm, lots of humorous replies, but in weeding out the jokes, it may not always be advisable to broadcast to everyone within earshot that you perceive a threat and it might be time to vamoose, hunker down, get ready to draw your weapon, or just pay closer attention.

Not trying to complicate things, but there seem to be times when you might want to convey important info to someone that you don't want others to hear

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    My wife will say "The deer is dead... don't drink the water." The correct counter is "The moon shines high at midnight". We like to keep it simple.
    That's funny right there, I don't care who you are. LOL
    Jambie and atctimmy like this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

With everything going on around rest areas, combined with my focus on reaching that mens room before the next guy, we're not going to be using code words which could and most likely would get lost in the translation.

In my case, my SA is so much more finely tuned than my GF's, it's likely she wouldn't notice anything that I haven't already observed, processed, and developed my plan to address. "When/Then" thinking is part of my daily routine. She knows that if I tell her to get down, go back to the truck, stay by the bike, etc, with "that" tone, she isn't to debate/question it, but to do it. Sounds chauvinistic I suppose, but it is what it is. I am her protector. Should she observe something that concerns her, she'll just tell what's bothering her in a low tone of voice.

We used a number of "codes" when I working undercover, but none of them are really applicable for the OP's question, so I'll not make this post any longer than it already is.

Be safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jambie View Post
    Hmmm, lots of humorous replies, but in weeding out the jokes, it may not always be advisable to broadcast to everyone within earshot that you perceive a threat and it might be time to vamoose, hunker down, get ready to draw your weapon, or just pay closer attention.

Not trying to complicate things, but there seem to be times when you might want to convey important info to someone that you don't want others to hear
    My wife carries a code list on her weak arm, just like the quarterbacks. I give a code and she flips it open to find the appropriate play. She hasn't quite learned the audibles yet.
    KBSR and Once like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jambie View Post

Actually, in all seriousness, I think it really depends on the two individuals. Personally, I wouldn't want to have to 'code' anything to my wife. Mostly because unless it's "get the children and get out now" I'm probably going to keep it to myself anyway. My wife wouldn't be interested in memorizing any "this means this" sort of stuff, and quite honestly other than fleeing with the children, she isn't going to be doing much proactive.

If you happen to be married to someone who takes a highly self defensive posture, then maybe it would have some value, but I think it's really very situational.

Now I will say that we have discussed and developed a plan for in home situations so I don't need to say anything more than 'get the kids safe'. She knows where I'm expecting her to go and what to do, and she knows what I'll be doing and where I'll be going.
    OldVet, Brad426 and niks like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    Agreed. My wife doesn't have to think about what "Get out now!" means.
    TX expat and Brad426 like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links