Looking like a BG

This is a discussion on Looking like a BG within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "Hey, there was a guy standing over by the snack cakes when everything went down. Does anyone remember what he looked like?" "What guy?" That's ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Looking like a BG

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    "Hey, there was a guy standing over by the snack cakes when everything went down. Does anyone remember what he looked like?"

"What guy?"

That's me and it's on purpose.

Jim
    ArmedLady and nontechguy like this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanJim View Post
    "Hey, there was a guy standing over by the snack cakes when everything went down. Does anyone remember what he looked like?"

"What guy?"

Jim
    Why were you loitering by the snack cakes, dude?
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanJim View Post

"What guy?"

Jim
    What do you do to try and blend in? Stance, clothing, etc? Anything really.

Smile Alot and sing....We're Off To See The Wizard.

Looking like a BG

Must have been the snack cake vending machine camo pattern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brad426 likes this.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

VIP Member
    When I am home unless there is snow or ice on the roads I ride my Harleys. I dress like any other biker on the road and have sometimes come across what you described. My shaved head and my long mustache, now beard, and tattoos did not help much. Most people would leave me alone but those that spoke I was friendly to.

Sometimes it is a blessing in disguise I guess I do not look like a victim so they pretty much leave me alone. The main thing is that I really do not care one way or another. If someone avoids me because of my appearance I probably don't want to socialize with them anyway.

Keep your SA up, plan for the worst and simply be cordial to those you want to.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Just remember, it takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn’t take any to sit there with a dumb look on your face.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    When I'm in a crowd I'm the one everyone asks for directions! My wife says I stand like a cop. Eight hours to kill and looks everyone over! DR

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    If someone avoids me because of my appearance I probably don't want to socialize with them anyway.
    Keep your SA up, plan for the worst and simply be cordial to those you want to.
    That is some good stuff right there.
    Ghost1958 likes this.

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Why were you loitering by the snack cakes, dude?
    Never trust a man who has no vices.

What do you do to try and blend in? Stance, clothing, etc? Anything really.
    I try not to be excessively tall or short and about average weight, but the last is difficult when you spend so much time in the snack cake section.

No seriously, I just try to wear clothes that most people in the neighborhood would expect someone my age to wear (fairly conservative and neutral colors). I have no tatoos or other distinguishing marks. I'm pleasant to people without trying to be the center of attention. Look people in the eye but don't try to stare them down.

Must have been the snack cake vending machine camo pattern.

If someone avoids me because of my appearance I probably don't want to socialize with them anyway.
    While I don't want to come across as threatening, I also don't want to look like food for predators.

Jim
    Brad426 likes this.

VIP Member
    FWIW, there are folks who are "image consultants." They can help you shape your appearance. Usually they
    are hired by folks looking for certain types of employment, maybe a high end management position, or doing a run
    for political office. However, once you decide the image you want to project, there are both inexpensive and expensive
    ways to work toward that certain look.

Of course the further the wanted look is from who you actually are, the more challenging the dress change, change
    of the manner in which you carry yourself, change to the way you speak, will be-- and the more expense and
    personal effort it will take.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    I find that when I dress like a woman, everyone does their best to avoid me, including my wife.
    Doghandler, KBSR, Brad426 and 5 others like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Sponsor
    I was at the post office the other morning before work mailing off some targets. The post office had not yet opened but there were people in the back. It was raining and I am looking like the uni-bomber in my coat. I am busy at the kiosk alone in the front. A lady walks in smiling and as soon as she laid eyes on me her expression goes south. I immediately said "good morning" and that is all it took to turn her expression back to happy. My point is if you know you are intimidating at times it is better to go the extra mile to let folks know you are alright. In this case just an extra inch.
    (However I agree it is way better to look intimidating than a victim most of the time)

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    I find that when I dress like a woman, everyone does their best to avoid me, including my wife.
    It's those legs I keep telling you.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    I lived in a small southern town for over ten years and have seen all sorts of people who looked like movie extras from Deliverance. And they were some of the nicest, most helpful, genuine guys I've come across. Even my best friend fits that description, and he says he scares off a lot of people with his looks, too.

I mostly blow under the radar being of the small female variety, and that's fine with me. My default public face tends to be rather stern looking, and that's very deliberate so I'm left alone. Not that it works all the time, because some morons just don't care, especially if they're in numbers.

One time my brother and I did a Walmart run. Neither of us like going there so we decided to go in, get what we needed, and get out. So we go in and I've never seen so many people look over their shoulders and part like a wave. I guess we looked like we were going in to find someone to take em' out. This was in a small southern town after all, and redneck whoopins can be regular. We did walk quickly, and our default faces (we take after dad in this regard) are rather cross. We didn't look like badguys, but we did act differently that everybody else, which is what they noticed. This was years ago before it was more commonplace to be buried in cellphones, so I'm sure observation levels have diminished since then.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links