Looking like a BG

Looking like a BG

This is a discussion on Looking like a BG within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So a while back there was a thread about a member who felt they always looked like an easy target. I have the exact opposite ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Looking like a BG

Question Looking like a BG

So a while back there was a thread about a member who felt they always looked like an easy target. I have the exact opposite experience and was wondering what some people thought.

I am 5'9" and MAYBE 150 lbs soaking wet. Its winter and so I normally wear a heavy Carhartt type jacket, and a black fleece beanie. When I walk I do so with a purpose, and when someone is getting close I try and glance around to look for anyone else (just basic SA stuff right?). I have always been told I have an angry look on my face.

I get responses like a lady and her dog saying, "Hey, good evening. Look out for him HE BITES" (it was a dachshund). Or the other night a gentleman and I getting closer on the sidewalk and he passes a shop, backpedals to dip in through the door, realizes it is closed, and turns around and beats feet to get away from me.

Anyone have similar experiences? If so do you just work with it and hope it deters other REAL BG's?

-Xtra

I suppose if I had to choose between looking like an easy target and looking like an angry potential threat...
    nontechguy likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Ya that is kind of what I thought. But the vast majority of encounters we have are not ones where it benefits us to look like a BG. I have tried things for years to appear less intimidating (not many BG's whistling tunes I would imagine) but nothing really works.
    nerdyvirgin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by xtramile View Post
    Ya that is kind of what I thought. But the vast majority of encounters we have are not ones where it benefits us to look like a BG. I have tried things for years to appear less intimidating (not many BG's whistling tunes I would imagine) but nothing really works.
    You could wear one of those tuxedo-looking t-shirts. Bad guys never wear those.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I apparently always look angry and people that I walk past tell me to lighten up or cheer up. I try to smile but im just not a very smiley guy so I feel your pain. People never want to make eye contact with me.

Quote Originally Posted by slidewayz240 View Post
    I apparently always look angry and people that I walk past tell me to lighten up or cheer up. I try to smile but im just not a very smiley guy so I feel your pain. People never want to make eye contact with me.
    Yeah, I get that too. Not a "bad guy" look, per se.
    Clint Eastwood

Brad - Why stop there? I am thinking full Tux. Something akin to the Dumb and Dumber get-ups.

Slide - Especially whenever I get a new job everyone always seems to think I am angry. Constantly asking what is wrong and such. I just see no reason to smile 24/7 (and I think that would be even scarier)
    Brad426, aus71383 and Spade115 like this.

Back in the day, as they say, I worked undercover on various drug smuggling organizations. I'm 6', and back then about 260, and had grown my hair and beard out long. I used to love the reactions I'd get checking out at the grocery store or Walmart.

Little old ladies would shy away from me, like I was carrying some kind of communicable disease and it would blow them away when I was polite and respectful, as I was raised to always be. Funny stuff.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Brad - Why stop there? I am thinking full Tux. Something akin to the Dumb and Dumber get-ups.

Slide - Especially whenever I get a new job everyone always seems to think I am angry. Constantly asking what is wrong and such. I just see no reason to smile 24/7 (and I think that would be even scarier)
    Well now you're just being silly.
    TX expat likes this.
    Clint Eastwood

Exactly! Just because I dont smile doesn't mean I am not happy. Now when they insist that I am unhappy or are persistent in asking me whats wrong then I must always reply with "You asking me this or that is whats wrong!"... they usually leave me alone. haha

But per the conversation... I don't mind people being intimidated. It can go either way. Either I am happy they are leaving me alone or I am happy to surprise them when they realize I am actually a pretty pleasant person.

Ya if given the opportunity to talk people normally ease up. Being polite and courteous goes a long way.

Another good one I found is to let them think they notice you before you notice them. Lets be honest, the sheep are barely aware of anything outside of arms reach, but if you let them THINK that they got the jump on you (so to speak) it puts them at ease I have noticed. Kind of hard to explain but I am sure someone understands.

Sorry, can't relate to this. I've always been told I look too much like Howdy Doody. Geez.

I guess I'll read this thread thoroughly and look for some tips for improvement of my image.

Quote Originally Posted by GunsAndViolince View Post
    Sorry, can't relate to this. I've always been told I look too much like Howdy Doody. Geez.

I guess I'll read this thread thoroughly and look for some tips for improvement of my image.
    You could try doing this:

th.jpg
    Clint Eastwood

Righteous!! I'll only need minor plastic surgery to achieve that.

ArmedLady
    Just be yourself. Now if you're wearing a long trench coat in the heat of the summer, my alarm bells will be going off. I'm trying to train myself and my kids to not judge by anppearance, for me, i ask myself if that person is too close for comfort.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links