Interesting article about the FBI's switch

This is a discussion on Interesting article about the FBI's switch within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looks like they're switching up training to focus more on CQB. I notice the stats regarding how close shootings have occurred interesting as well. Not ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By RemMod597

Thread: Interesting article about the FBI's switch

Looks like they're switching up training to focus more on CQB. I notice the stats regarding how close shootings have occurred interesting as well. Not likely to change my training regiment but notable nonetheless.

USA TODAY

While it's good that they are working more on up close and personal shooting, I hope they do not neglect the longer range training. Bad guys don't all use the same play book.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member
    I thought the FBI got away from the "cup and saucer" grip years ago. Notice the two top shooters in the article. The female agent is left handed but does seem to have the better grip on her pistol. Thumbs pointing with muzzle. Maybe just to each his own?
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

I don't See any cup and saucer grips in that pic. Bottom of grip is not on their palm.
    pittypat21 and Echo_Four like this.

Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are cunning and you sleep with your mouth open.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RemMod597 View Post
    I don't See any cup and saucer grips in that pic. Bottom of grip is not on their palm.
    I'm curious, what do you think of the thumb that high up on the slide. IMHO,OK on the range with little stress, but under stress if you squeeze a little to hard, you can interfear with the cycleing of the slide and stop the gun from going into battery. Iv'e seen this with IDPA shooters.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

If the high thumbs gets their rounds on target. So be it.
    Personally, I keep my thumbs forward, parallel to the slide, just at frame/slide seam.

Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are cunning and you sleep with your mouth open.

Quote Originally Posted by Exacto View Post
    I'm curious, what do you think of the thumb that high up on the slide. IMHO,OK on the range with little stress, but under stress if you squeeze a little to hard, you can interfear with the cycleing of the slide and stop the gun from going into battery. Iv'e seen this with IDPA shooters.
    It is MHO that grips, like guns are not "one size fits all". The grip needs to be based on your hands and the relative shape and size of the gun's hand grip. It needs to be quick and natural to grasp plus comfortable. Once this is ascertained use it and practice, practice, practice. But do not forget weak hand and one hand practice while you are at it.
    For an EDC gun if you have trouble with weak hand or one hand, maybe you need to reevaluate your EDC.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Yikes! Thumbs (ON) the slide? No thanks..I have a aversion to blood.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

IIRC the statistics over the last 20 years supported a "3-5 Rule": 3-5 shots fired, 3-5 yards distance, 3-5 second total engagement time. Don't recall where I saw that though, but it seems to fit - at least in part - to what the article stated.

Edit: it may have been 3-5 FEET vs. yards

VIP Member
    It is feet.
    FBI's "Rule of 3" is wisdom gleaned from a vast number of the agency's investigations. It's why I don't feel under-gunned with .38spl +P LSWC. A lot of good men and women trusted their lives to it. Good enough for me.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    Its as if the media is trying to start a fight, just by publishing this.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.--->Herbert Spencer

Springfield xd 45, Sig Sauer SP2022(9mm),Remington 700(.308), Yugo M10 variant w/IZH Kobra optic,...and lots of ammo for all of 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnfat View Post
    I thought the FBI got away from the "cup and saucer" grip years ago. Notice the two top shooters in the article. The female agent is left handed but does seem to have the better grip on her pistol. Thumbs pointing with muzzle. Maybe just to each his own?
    No cup and saucer grip here. That's exactly how it would look from the other side of the female shooters hands if the image was taken from the opposite angle.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    "agents also are being exposed to technology borrowed from Hollywood" Seriously? I hope it is from Clint Eastwood
    s Dirty harry movies then...

it looks like the female is struggling with the size of the Blocky Glock Grip.... FBI should have done what the DEA did and Switched to M&P's to accommodate more Agents' needs.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    "agents also are being exposed to technology borrowed from Hollywood" Seriously? I hope it is from Clint Eastwood
    s Dirty harry movies then...

it looks like the female is struggling with the size of the Blocky Glock Grip.... FBI should have done what the DEA did and Switched to M&P's to accommodate more Agents' needs.
    Looked like she was getting along just fine with that pistol.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Sponsored Links