Walmart asset protection

This is a discussion on Walmart asset protection within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by oldnfat Wow! There was actually an employee at the gun counter? Never happens at my Walmart. It usually takes 5 min. to ...

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree222Likes

Thread: Walmart asset protection

Quote Originally Posted by oldnfat View Post
    Wow! There was actually an employee at the gun counter? Never happens at my Walmart. It usually takes 5 min. to find one anywhere. Then 5 more min to page someone to the gun counter. Then in about 10 min. an employee may appear. Usually not from the gun counter and they won't have the keys to get you anything. Complained to the mgmt. on duty. It never changes. I thought all Walmarts were this way. Doesn't matter now anyway. Nothing is in the ammo cabinet.
    I think you and I are shopping at the same Walmart.
    pfries, BurgerBoy and rottkeeper like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    The AP in my local Wal Mart are a joke, they stick out like a sore thumb. In most cases they are often not the people eating the food items that they haven't paid or won't pay for, but in some cases they are. My local Wal Mart stocks very little ammo other than shotgun ammo. Police assistance calls make up, on average, 20% of all calls to my town's PD. More for employee theft then shoplifting by the customers. I shy away from most Wal Marts because the actions of the shoppers bring back memories of my time spent in third world countries
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

There is alot of people I have seen, walk up to the deli section, get some popcorn chicken or popcorn shrimp, eat it set the cup on a shelf, go though the chekout and leave with their belly full and never pay for it. did I mention that they had a power shot and monster drink to go with it ? Grazing in the store is STILL theft. I work for walmart, and would love to ask to see a reciept but I can't AP has to handle it.
    If I had my way there would be a register at the deli.
    A thief is a thief, no matter what.
    I have also seen people steal, and have plenty of cash in their pocket to pay for it.
    carracer likes this.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    The6shooter I like that patch, haven't seen one for many many years. A good friend of mine served with the 45th in Korea
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crestwood1001 View Post
    On the topic of drawing a weapon because of a store security officer doing his job.... That seems a bit rash
    I would say it is quite reasonable. If you come running at me in a parking lot with an unidentified object in your hand I'm not going to just ignore you or allow you to continue to run at me without preparing to defend myself. Thanks to my job there are some pretty bad dudes that would like nothing more than to do me harm. I don't know if you're store security, a crazy panhandler, or a member of a motorcycle club that is upset because I just took a couple of your members to jail it is unlikely you'll see them again for 20 years or so. I do know that I'm going to assume the worst and move from there. I didn't say I'd shoot the guy but from the description the thought that I may have to would be going through my head.

There is a way to go about things intelligently. Then there is the way that many in your line of work choose to act. Many seem to think they are somehow granted unlimited powers and rights to stop what they believe to be shoplifting but sadly don't have the training or experience to deal with situations that may arise. Note, I am in no way saying you're a problem or do anything wrong. Just that I haven't had great experiences in past dealings with your AP brethren.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Fla
    No sense picking on Wally World. Just about all larger stores have AP people. Last I heard Wally World tells AP to stop them at the door. Seldom hear of AP chasing into parking lot anymore. Wait there is that lame show where AP for hire does. It may seem odd but I don't mind the APs and I have been followed too. Why? They keyed on me looking around and not just head down shopping. Plus as a retired old fart I wander and even backtrack which sends up flags. Just as we now have to deal with anti 2nd amend people due to a few nut jobs, we have to put up with the occasional AP because of a lot of sticky fingered people.
    NO Salt,Alcohol, Smoking,Caffeine,Chocolate,Meat,Anything Spicy,Gasoline,Weapons Except Stun Wands By Police,Contact Sports,Sex Other Than Virtual,Abortion,pregnancy Without A License,Non Educational Toys,Bad Language,Exchanging Bodily fluids Including Kissing,Aggressive Acts,Freedom Of Speech

Walmart asset protection

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    I would say it is quite reasonable. If you come running at me in a parking lot with an unidentified object in your hand I'm not going to just ignore you or allow you to continue to run at me without preparing to defend myself. Thanks to my job there are some pretty bad dudes that would like nothing more than to do me harm. I don't know if you're store security, a crazy panhandler, or a member of a motorcycle club that is upset because I just took a couple of your members to jail it is unlikely you'll see them again for 20 years or so. I do know that I'm going to assume the worst and move from there. I didn't say I'd shoot the guy but from the description the thought that I may have to would be going through my head.

There is a way to go about things intelligently. Then there is the way that many in your line of work choose to act. Many seem to think they are somehow granted unlimited powers and rights to stop what they believe to be shoplifting but sadly don't have the training or experience to deal with situations that may arise. Note, I am in no way saying you're a problem or do anything wrong. Just that I haven't had great experiences in past dealings with your AP brethren.
    If you ever at Walmart, and witness an AP chasing someone into a parking lot holding a weapon.... Call management cause that is NOT allowed, we respectfully stop at the doors, if it escalades from there we deal with it as we see fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's good to know my ass is well protected in Walmart
    Secret Spuk and Hopyard like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Crestwood, I know that is Wal Mart's policy. But the instance I was talking about happened at a Sears. It didn't happen to me, but from what was described I can only say that I would have honestly felt threatened by the actions as I read them.

AP is a dangerous gig. It is a job I'd hate to have simply because you're not given the tools to deal with someone that wants to push the issue or, God forbid, decides to shoot rather than be stopped before leaving. Way back when I was a recent college grad I had a couple of friends that worked at Wal Mart. They used to regularly chase people out into the parking lot. That changed for good reason, but not all companies have caught on it appears.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

-Gecko45?!?
    "When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
    scabbard." -General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by oldnfat View Post
    Wow! There was actually an employee at the gun counter? Never happens at my Walmart. It usually takes 5 min. to find one anywhere. Then 5 more min to page someone to the gun counter. Then in about 10 min. an employee may appear. Usually not from the gun counter and they won't have the keys to get you anything. Complained to the mgmt. on duty. It never changes. I thought all Walmarts were this way. Doesn't matter now anyway. Nothing is in the ammo cabinet.
    I thought there for a minute or two you lived in Independence Ks.

Walmart asset protection

Crestwood, I know that is Wal Mart's policy. But the instance I was talking about happened at a Sears. It didn't happen to me, but from what was described I can only say that I would have honestly felt threatened by the actions as I read them.

AP is a dangerous gig. It is a job I'd hate to have simply because you're not given the tools to deal with someone that wants to push the issue or, God forbid, decides to shoot rather than be stopped before leaving. Way back when I was a recent college grad I had a couple of friends that worked at Wal Mart. They used to regularly chase people out into the parking lot. That changed for good reason, but not all companies have caught on it appears.
    I agree that it's a dangerous gig, but I do enjoy the job, it all comes down to making good decisions, if someone appears to have a weapon, or appears to be someone that could get violent, we would either call the Troopers for backup (have a great relationship with them, they come fast), or just let the person leave, get a plate and let the police deal with it.

dmaesa1 likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If you ever at Walmart, and witness an AP chasing someone into a parking lot holding a weapon.... Call management cause that is NOT allowed, we respectfully stop at the doors, if it escalades from there we deal with it as we see fit.

I try to avoid parking lots that hold weapons.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Well first off, I'm an Asset Protection Associate for Walmart. Please tell me why there is anything wrong with us doing our jobs? The rules for us to make a bust state we cannot lose site of a suspect at all, so sometimes you have to get odd angles to see them. Sounds to me like the women was suspected of theft. PLEASE don't tell me they shouldn't be watching a women ad child, we catch alot more women that use their children to steal then anything else.
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding the point of your post, but I don't see an issue with doing their jobs.

So your store policy is to crawl around on all 4's and look like a pedophile staring at a lady and her kids? Hope you dont have a glass jaw son.

Walmart asset protection

Quote Originally Posted by Supraman762 View Post
    So your store policy is to crawl around on all 4's and look like a pedophile staring at a lady and her kids? Hope you dont have a glass jaw son.
    Please tell me where I said that? Go ahead ill wait....

dmaesa1 likes this.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links