Walmart asset protection

This is a discussion on Walmart asset protection within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I can't ever recall being followed at Wal Mart, Target, etc. Im very aware of my surroundings but haven't noticed this before unless their that ...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree140Likes

Thread: Walmart asset protection

I can't ever recall being followed at Wal Mart, Target, etc. Im very aware of my surroundings but haven't noticed this before unless their that good like a ninja.

2. Remove Ads

When I first saw the topic to this thread, I expected something totally different. Wal-Mart's Global Security has had full time asset protection for executives for years...think Wal-Mart "Swat!"

In my youth....many years ago, I worked for Wal-Mart, and Sam'sClub. Back then AP was called in-store loss prevention. I got to work both side...catching thieves, and testing other LP-ers by trying to steal (sanctioned) neighbooring Wal-Marts or Sam's Clubs. I remember several parking lot encounters that were unpleasant for me, and the thief.

The whole receipt checking thing at the exit door was actually copied from Costco, and it deters theft. Without that, I can't imagine how much merchandise would just walk out the door. If your really offended, don't shop there.

I know that AP is a tough job, and have to admire the folks that do it.

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    I've seen them do that at a walmart i go to.I don't pay it any attention.

VIP Member
    Any store employee can follow me around if they think i took something i'll drop my drawers right in the store i have no problem doing that . But one thing i can say about it i will give them one warning they are making a mistake . Then they can talk to my lawyer.
    Member of the NRA
    Gun Safety is Life Safety
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine

They AP could be crawling on the floor,or standing on their head.If they aren't bothering me,i could careless.If they do,then i will deal with it.

VIP Member
    The crawling on the floor thing could be seen as odd for sure . If females are shopping with dresses on i would think they are perv'n
    Snub44 likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    Gun Safety is Life Safety
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine

Companies and these LP/AP guys need to realize the reality of the situation. Unless there's a uniform on you, I'm going to assume you're just another customer. So when you start acing suspicious, my SA is going to go off and I'm going to really keep an eye on you. I may do something to see how you react (like go to an uncommon aisle), and if you follow that's going to be condition orange. If you close in too close or approach me in an unexpected way (however innocent your intent), you may hit condition red.

I understand that you are "just doing your job," but that doesn't change the fact that you're coming across as shady. Honestly, for your own safety you should have a uniform denoting "loss prevention" or "asset protection." Best Buy does this, with yellow shirt employees I believe (also the earpiece). We arm ourselves to protect against those unknown encounters, and we do so proactively. How are we supposed to know if you're a crazy or someone working LP/AP? Sorry but we can't give you the benefit of the doubt when our lives (or our loved ones) are on the line.

Think if you were on your way home from somewhere and noticed a car following you somewhat oddly. You may make an unnecessary U-turn, take different roads than you would normally, etc. When that car does the same, you're going to be suspicious and your SA is going to go off like mad. Sure, it may be an undercover cop running your plates cause they had an APB for a similar make/model. Are you going to bet your life on that instead of it someone potentially after you?

I did a very brief stint as AP at Walmart. Very brief. Prior to that, I was followed more than rarely by one of them. I got tired of it, so I walked up to a manager with the AP hot on my trail and asked if the manager would inform the AP I was a shopper, not a shop lifter. They either quit following me, or got a lot better at it after that. :)
    BenGoodLuck and BadgerJ like this.
    Something witty

I remember seeing a guy dressed as a biker following a woman around at WM. I started following him because he looked suspicious the way he was stalking her. I figured she was in danger and was genuinely worried for her. I eventually got to a point where I spotted an associate and reported it and she let me know that he was AP. I wasn't carrying at the time but it still could have turned into a bad situation if he'd have moved in on her with me there.
    "The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun."

Full size Beretta 9mm Px4 Storm / Ruger LC9 with Lasermax / Auto Ordnance 1911 A1 45 / Chiappa 1911-22 / Stevens 320 Shotgun / 1943 Mosin Nagant 91/30 / Laserlyte Target Trainer

I get followed so often by LP/AP that I have a good time of it... Oncet I was being followed by store detective as I was clothes shopping... I handed my purchases to him and told him "if he's going to follow me, make yourself usefull and carry my packages" I guess he didnt think that was funny. Another time one stopped me at the door, and asked me to accompany him to the office to be searched. I put up a stink and the manager responded.. I told them that I dont mind being searched in public... But if they didnt find anything I was going to punch the security guard in the mouth as hard as I can... The didnt need to search me anymore. I love messing with loss prevention... they so easy...
    SIGguy229 likes this.

I would have profiled a guy on all fours peeping at a lady and her kid as a pedophile.
    tmoreau40 likes this.
    Hit'em straight and keep it in the short grass.

I work ap for target and we do similar things, that's our job, maintain surveillance and I hate when people interfere!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

VIP Member
    I hate when unknown people do stupid things like crawl around on the floor. Honestly in this day and age the following should be done from a back office while controlling cameras. If you act in strange ways you will draw attention. It is only a matter of time until something awful does happen if this is normal protocol for the AP/LP crowd. I've seen some minor things but nothing like I am reading on this thread. Quite honestly if I received a call about a suspicious male crawling and following a woman around a store I'm going to assume he is a bad guy until proven otherwise. I'd assume a cop confronting you in the store would do more damage to your secret squirrel ridiculousness than acting like a responsible human being and simply walking through the store would.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    The crawling on the floor thing could be seen as odd for sure . If females are shopping with dresses on i would think they are perv'n
    I haven't seen many females in Walmart that I would want to see in a dress...
    Secret Spuk, BadgerJ and TomC51 like this.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." --Benjamin Franklin

"Ignorance can be treated with education, sadly there is no cure for stupidity."

I am also AP at Wal-Mart, we are good people to know because we always know when the ammo comes in, lol. We might look obvious to you, but not to the people we are watching. It is a very fun job and is extremely challenging. I have sent almost 100 people to jail this year. Most of the people I detain have warrants for other crimes and are found with drugs on them. Your welcome! Plus I get to interact with local law enforcement everyday, which is great. Relax, we are just doing our job. It's kinda fun sneaking around all day on a secret mission.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links