Walmart asset protection

This is a discussion on Walmart asset protection within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I needed some cleaning patches and wanted to see if they had any ammo. I go in get my patches and start looking at ...

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree222Likes

Thread: Walmart asset protection

Walmart asset protection

So I needed some cleaning patches and wanted to see if they had any ammo. I go in get my patches and start looking at ammo a girl who was a employee was talking to a older guy who was looking for some 22lr. I told him good luck and all 3 of us started talking about guns and how hard it is getting to find ammo and ar/ak style wepons. She said they have over 3 pages of people on waiting list for colt ar's. She started a guy came up to purchase some birdshot so i left. After i left i wondered if they had a waiting list for ammo. If not she was cute so i figured i would atleast get to talk to her again. So i go back and about 20 feet from ammo counter i see a guy on all fours trying to look around courner at a lady and her child. And another guy about four rows down watching too. I find a employee and bring it to her attention she acts like im not even there. I go back to ammo counter and lady is now on way to toy department 2 guys still following first guy still on all fours and second following close behind. I get on phone call store and ask for ap five minutes later still on hold. I go to find another employee i find one and tell her what is going on she says is it a tall guy and a short guy. Yes it is. She reply that is our ap. I have seen ap in walmart before they are realy never that hard to find if you look. But never thought i would see them looking so suspicious. The thought crossed my mind to stop women and ask if she knew they were following her. Or just call police. Needless to say i didnt find out about ammo waiting list or get to talk to cute girl again.
    Supraman762 likes this.
    Every saint has a past
    Every sinner has a future
    Carrying since 2013
    NRA member since 2013

2. Remove Ads

That is an odd occurrence. I think locating a manager would have been prudent. I think you did ok keeping an eye on things and contacting the way you did.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Whew!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Walmart asset protection

Well first off, I'm an Asset Protection Associate for Walmart. Please tell me why there is anything wrong with us doing our jobs? The rules for us to make a bust state we cannot lose site of a suspect at all, so sometimes you have to get odd angles to see them. Sounds to me like the women was suspected of theft. PLEASE don't tell me they shouldn't be watching a women ad child, we catch alot more women that use their children to steal then anything else.
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding the point of your post, but I don't see an issue with doing their jobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ishmael and Buler like this.

Didnt mention second employee went by and checked out situation. After i left i called store manager and let him know about situation and asked him to tell his employees to be less obvious. Hell they could have been mad x or someone looking for a easy target to rob or even worse.
    Every saint has a past
    Carrying since 2013
    NRA member since 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Crestwood1001 View Post
    Well first off, I'm an Asset Protection Associate for Walmart. Please tell me why there is anything wrong with us doing our jobs? The rules for us to make a bust state we cannot lose site of a suspect at all, so sometimes you have to get odd angles to see them. Sounds to me like the women was suspected of theft. PLEASE don't tell me they shouldn't be watching a women ad child, we catch alot more women that use their children to steal then anything else.
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding the point of your post, but I don't see an issue with doing their jobs.

I understand watching a suspected theif but crawling around on ground in crowded store come on. All you are doing is making yourself look like a threat to the suspected theif.
    BkCo1, tcox4freedom and CIBMike like this.
    Every saint has a past
    Carrying since 2013
    NRA member since 2013

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Crawling on the ground does seem excessive, but the Asset Protection folks have a tough job and can get hurt doing it. I was in Home Depot the other day and while I was working with an associate regarding a door purchase the person with that job came by and was tracking a suspected thief. She has been assaulted three times in the last year, one time resulting in medical leave. Tough job. The reason they cannot lose sight of the person is they cannot make a clean bust if they lose sight, leaves them open to a false arrest claim (if they suspect is not in constant view they claim they put the item back when not seen). I give them the benefit of the doubt.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

VIP Member
    I've done my share as AP when I worked in the family hardware store, and I've seen some strange things. Some people are very slick when they stuff things... and where they stuff things, too. There was a whole family of shoplifters - one or two would block the clerk's view while the third would take the goods.

Maybe these guys were trying to get on the kid's level to watch the kid.

I've even been followed by AP. I think it was Walmart, or similar store. I wasn't acting suspicious, but young and female made me a possible shoplifter. The guy wasn't very discreet at all and stayed in the same aisle, pretending to look at stuff. So I walked over to the feminine hygiene aisle and stayed there a long time looking at the maxi pads...which made it really awkward for him.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

VIP Member
    Please don't suspect my wife of trying to steal from you. If I catch you crawling around on the floor following her there's going to be a rather loud and uncomfortable conversation about your suspicious activity.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Walmart asset protection

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    Please don't suspect my wife of trying to steal from you. If I catch you crawling around on the floor following her there's going to be a rather loud and uncomfortable conversation about your suspicious activity.
    For one we are all different, I certainly can't say I crawl on the floor. But why would I follow your wife unless I had a reason? We don't just pick people to pick people.... There's always a reason

Buler and dmaesa1 like this.

I get "ticked" at it personally. I've been followed around in a Walmart and finally went up to them, and suggested they follow someone else around for awhile, because I wasn't anyone who would be stealing anything. I've also been asked " how " I can spot them so easily......

Problem is, start following me around.... and I don't know you and don't connect you with essentially "store theft prevention" .... we're going to have a real issue. Only... I'll address it directly WITH YOU .....

I would NOT want to do that job for anything. In today's world, it's also hard to tell who's going to pull a knife, a gun, or what their reaction will be .
    357and40 and Gun_guy like this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crestwood1001 View Post
    For one we are all different, I certainly can't say I crawl on the floor. But why would I follow your wife unless I had a reason? We don't just pick people to pick people.... There's always a reason
    Feel free to get the chip off of your shoulder. You may THINK you have a reason and be DEAD wrong. I have been followed around in Wal Mart. I have been stopped at the door. Guess what, they were wrong. Whatever they thought they saw or reason they thought they had proved to be incorrect. I have never so much as stolen a piece of gum, much less merchandise from a retailer.

People make mistakes, no matter how badly they may want to be perfect and above reproach. Heck, I've made mistakes and will admit to the fact I'm not perfect. But I'm not going to try to justify stupid activity by myself or those in my profession. Crawling around in the floor is stupid, trying to defend such behavior is laughable. If you want to act like that go ahead. Don't be shocked when it backfires.

Eagleks, you're far nicer than I am. At the Sears I'm almost positive my gun would have cleared leather. In your last example the security person would have wished that I would have just handcuffed him to a pole, as would his employer. As soon as he went hands on I would have had no choice but to assume he intended to harm me and I tend to be aggressive in self defense and then my lawyer would get involved in the question as to why the store decided they could empower their employee to touch me.
    Ghost1958 and tcox4freedom like this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Walmart asset protection

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    Feel free to get the chip off of your shoulder. You may THINK you have a reason and be DEAD wrong. I have been followed around in Wal Mart. I have been stopped at the door. Guess what, they were wrong. Whatever they thought they saw or reason they thought they had proved to be incorrect. I have never so much as stolen a piece of gum, much less merchandise from a retailer.

People make mistakes, no matter how badly they may want to be perfect and above reproach. Heck, I've made mistakes and will admit to the fact I'm not perfect. But I'm not going to try to justify stupid activity by myself or those in my profession. Crawling around in the floor is stupid, trying to defend such behavior is laughable. If you want to act like that go ahead. Don't be shocked when it backfires.

Eagleks, you're far nicer than I am. At the Sears I'm almost positive my gun would have cleared leather. In your last example the security person would have wished that I would have just handcuffed him to a pole, as would his employer. As soon as he went hands on I would have had no choice but to assume he intended to harm me and I tend to be aggressive in self defense and then my lawyer would get involved in the question as to why the store decided they could empower their employee to touch me.
    I have no chip on my shoulder, and am in no way defending their actions. Some areas are different then others, I know myself and my parter are by the book, if we don't have all the elements required for a stop, we don't make the stop, a bad stop is not worth your job.
    On the topic of drawing a weapon because of a store security officer doing his job.... That seems a bit rash

dmaesa1 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Wow! There was actually an employee at the gun counter? Never happens at my Walmart. It usually takes 5 min. to find one anywhere. Then 5 more min to page someone to the gun counter. Then in about 10 min. an employee may appear. Usually not from the gun counter and they won't have the keys to get you anything. Complained to the mgmt. on duty. It never changes. I thought all Walmarts were this way. Doesn't matter now anyway. Nothing is in the ammo cabinet.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Lead Moderator
    The biggest reason most CCW holders are followed , IMO is they are more alert and looking around more than the typical shopper in condition white this tends to be very similar to how shoplifters act. I work Loss Prevention and have been followed in other stores as well. Who cares , most LP/AP are professional enough you will never get stopped unless you are stealing.
    With out getting into details , if there is any doubt you will not be stopped in most cases. And yes I have busted CCW holders before too.
    357and40 and dmaesa1 like this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Links