Verifing it's the police on the other side of your locked bedroom door. - Page 2

Verifing it's the police on the other side of your locked bedroom door.

This is a discussion on Verifing it's the police on the other side of your locked bedroom door. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm with XD in SC, all of my guys wear earpieces, you won't hear their radios. Same with SIXTO, they don't have their lights, sirens ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I'm with XD in SC, all of my guys wear earpieces, you won't hear their radios. Same with SIXTO, they don't have their lights, sirens or anything on when they get close to your house -- not even headlights most of the time.

For ccw9mm, I think you're giving too much credit to government purchasing. There's no way we can get the LEOs responding to talk to you over the phone while we're talking to you. lol

Standard procedure at my department is to keep you on the phone if someone is in or near your house (e.g. prowler). As for identifying if the people on the other side of the door are actually LEOs, I can give you their badge numbers and you can ask them through the door to verify. I can also notify you that they are on the other side of the door.

Usually if the LEOs responding know that you are in a particular room and are armed, they're not going to the door, they'll ask you to come to them. When I'm still on the phone with you, they'll do it over the radio and I'll tell you over the phone after asking you to secure your weapon (e.g. hands empty). They don't approach the door for their safety and for your's (remember: they have guns and the right to defend themselves, too). So, the safest thing is to secure your weapon and come to them in a neutral location (e.g. another part of your house).

Cheers.

I may be wrong, but don't most 911 dispatchers keep you on the phone until you talk to the arriving officers? If things start happening then the dispatcher would relate what they are hearing to the responding officers. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by soundwave View Post
    For ccw9mm, I think you're giving too much credit to government purchasing. There's no way we can get the LEOs responding to talk to you over the phone while we're talking to you.
    Nope. Semantics, I think. By "on the phone" I meant "speaking with" the officer via the dispatch, even if dispatch needed to relay the msg. Assuming that an LEO standing in a house has mobile comms with dispatch, it should be a simple thing for me to speak with the dispatcher, the dispatcher to speak with the LEO. It would then be obvious that the LEO on the other side of that door is speaking to my dispatcher about being in my house. As for being patched through in a 3-way conversation, it should be as simple as telephone technology back at the dispatch desk, to link line#2 with line #3, even if line #3 happens to have come in via radio. If it can be patched through, great. If not, the "conversation" with the LEO should still work, via the dispatcher's relaying of comments.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Lightbulb Waaaaaaay back WHEN....

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    As for being patched through in a 3-way conversation, it should be as simple as telephone technology back at the dispatch desk, to link line#2 with line #3, even if line #3 happens to have come in via radio.
    One day back in 1983, having become the post exercise OIC of the stay behind detachment in the Yakima Desert of Washington State and with too much time on my hands I decided to try a little experiment: I got on my army issue TA-312 and cranked the handle reaching range control. I then asked for a patch to the post operator. Securing that I asked for an off post operator. Connecting I asked for a connection to Tacoma on the other side of the Cascade mountains. Reaching a local civilan operator in Tacoma, I was able to reach my girlfriend from the middle of the Yakima desert in the middle of nowhere and "chat" on the army's dime for over an hour. She couldn't believe what I did to reach her. I was suitably rewarded upon my return....but this is a family forum. Such is the life of an infantry First Lieutenant...

That was 1983. No cell technology. Imagine what can be accomplished now. It's possible the responding officer might take a cell phone picture of himself and have it transmitted to the station and relayed to your computer inside the room or to your own cell phone. In real time.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

My department doesn't have telephone interconnect enabled on our system. Yes, technically it's possible, but it's not practicable. It's a lot easier and quicker for me to just relay back and forth as you and I (earlier) pointed out.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    It's possible the responding officer might take a cell phone picture of himself and have it transmitted to the station and relayed to your computer inside the room or to your own cell phone. In real time.
    Would be nice, but we can't really do that, either. lol If my guys had camera phones (they don't, department can't justify adding the camera) they could Email it to me and I could relay it. But technically speaking, we're not supposed to have Internet access on a computer that can access criminal history data (federally and state law prohibited). Then again, that would be far too involved for just quickly verifying who's on the other side of the door.

Quote Originally Posted by steve63 View Post
    I may be wrong, but don't most 911 dispatchers keep you on the phone until you talk to the arriving officers? If things start happening then the dispatcher would relate what they are hearing to the responding officers. Just a thought.
    See my post above yours. Standard procedure is to keep you on the phone if there is a possibility of you being in immediate danger. We don't keep everybody on the line every time you call 9-1-1 until the LEO arrives on the scene. We don't have enough 9-1-1 lines or dispatchers to do that. We also have to prioritize things. If there's a fire in your house (e.g. you're in danger of harm) and you're still in the house, and you can get out safely, no we're not going to keep you on the line -- get out of the house. Same thing if you're reporting your car being stolen, it's gone, it's highly unlikely they're going to come back and get caught with your car.

Cheers.
    Last edited by soundwave; October 20th, 2006 at 09:48 AM.

My department doesn't have telephone interconnect enabled on our system. Yes, technically it's possible, but it's not practicable. It's a lot easier and quicker for me to just relay back and forth as you and I (earlier) pointed out.
    Yup. Works great.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

ExSoldier-
    I was Com in the Marine reserve: we were on a field exercise at Camp Lejeune S.C. and the 1 star over the exercise asked if we could make such a civilian connection, was told it could be done but we had never done it. General made a snide comment and went on.

30 minutes later as he was walking by the Lt. said "Excuse me general you have a call" He took the call......His wife in Kalifornia was on the other end and asked him to pick up a gallon of milk on his way home

When he hung up he just said "OK; point proven" and went on.

. .......... But technically speaking, we're not supposed to have Internet access on a computer that can access criminal history data (federally and state law prohibited). ..........

Cheers.
    I can't comment much on this.........except that I know our local doesn't quite follow those prohibitions.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links