Defensive Carry banner

Verifing it's the police on the other side of your locked bedroom door.

2K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  XD in SC 
#1 ·
Hey Ya'll

There is a current WWYD thread that has alot of people locking them selves in thier bedrooms and waiting it out. I answered that I would also do that in my response.

Ok. Your blessed and the BG decided to leave. The police show up and are on the other side of your BR door but you are still locked in and you don't know that it's the GG's in fact on the other side of the door.

I personally would think that I would still have 911 on the line. I am sure that the police would announce their presence, would I be out of line to ask the dispatcher for the name of the responding officers and then ask the officers what their names are before unlocking the door? Or would i just be pissing the cops off?

MikeV

#2 ·
I don't think arriving patrol officers would have a problem with dispatch verifying their arrival/presence. Especially if you told dispatch you had defensive cover and were armed.

One time when I lived in an apartment complex and had to call the law doggies on a neighbor, the police came and resolved the problem. In order to protect my identity as the caller, dispatch called me back and asked if I needed to speak with the arresting officers. They did their job and didn't tip off the neighbor that I was the one that turned him in.

Of course, you'd have to ask yourself how the police entered your home in the first place. Did the BG go out the front or back door and leave it open or did they bust the front door down. If they busted the front door down, I think I could figure out they were on scene.

#4 ·
As a former dispatcher I know for a fact the officers (at least the ones I worked for) had no problem with me telling the homeowner that they were there and their exact whereabouts. Officers do not what to get shot by trigger happy (scared) home owners.

#5 ·
As an officer who has done this a few times, I wouldn't be knocking on the bedroom door! After I cleared the house minus the "safe room" I would announce myself, partners etc., as well as having dispatch verify with you. Chances are, I would move to a more neutral area, such as a living room turn on lights etc., and have you come down to me.

My second sentence may be a bit misleading... any officer should announce his presence before entering any home, loudly and several times. "Podunk Police Dept., anyone home?" Then move to clear the house. And for you "Mall Ninjas" no, that will not hurt any tactical advantage I might of had, BG already know I'm there.

Also, for the poster who said look outside for the lights etc., don't rely on that. I never park out front, leave my overheads on or approach with the siren... a little police work 101 there.

#6 ·
Radio's .........couldn't you hear their radio's ??

I feel that the BG's will not hang around after they realize that they either,can't get to you,or.......they have got all the valuables that they came for/want.

IDing the guy on the other side of the door would be the easy part. Transitioning from you with weapon to saying "hi" to the nice officer would be another thing.

After all,at this point it would be really great if you avoided being shot by your "rescuers". ---------

#14 ·
Radio's .........couldn't you hear their radio's ??
-

Not if they are using ear pieces. Even if not, they usually try to turn the radio down, they want to hear as much as you do. Just like not parking in front of a building, or running sirens all the way in, or leaving the light bar running.

remember, the officer doesn't truly know what is happening yet.

#7 ·
How about asking one of them to shove a photo ID card (police ID) under the door? Doubtful a BG would have one of those unless the perp is ALSO a cop, too.

#9 ·
One thing about doors - the majority are not impermeable to bullets and I have a thing these days where I will not if at all bothered - stand dead center behind a door.

Whoever I think may be the other side - I will stay offset :wink:

#10 ·
... shove a photo ID card (police ID) under the door? Doubtful a BG would have one of those ...
... dispatcher ... [will] tell you the police are in the house ...
... doors - the majority are not impermeable to bullets ...
About the only two choices are: get proof either directly or indirectly (ie, via dispatch). P95 has it right, about doors. Unless steel plate reinforced, a bullet's getting through. Can't imagine a perp would forego the opportunity to waste the homeowner, when the homeowner bent over to pick up a false ID.

Me, I'd be on the phone with dispatch up to the end, including having dispatch putting Mr. LEO on the phone so he could speak to me over the phone as I heard him through the door. That's proof. Anything short of that is somewhat less than 100% guaranteed, though mere discussions with dispatch are close, given the presumed good-guy status of all responding LEO's.

#11 ·
I don't stand in front of a door. This includes waiting for the elevator.

Wait for the leo to say, "Landshark...I mean...Candygram.."

I would have the dispatcher confirm the ID of the officers.

One of the procedures for some of our Extream High Value loads we sometimes haul, is in the event a LEO attempts to pull over our rig, we are supposed to call 911 and verify the LEO is legit. I have never asked a LEO about doing it, but to avoid finding out if it is a bad thing to do, with a high value load, we are anal about obeying the laws. Would you pull over if you were hauling a 53 foot trailer of oxycontin?

Bet you get shot if it isn't a leo....

They pay good, but I don't like hauling them...

#15 ·
Theoretical situations pale in comparison to a real situation

Well if the cops showed up I'd call 9-11 to make sure...
cops are for my protection, gotta love and respect that, but until they get there to protect me the guy on the other side of the door has to be assumed hostile.
I'd prob call the dispatch
but I am pretty positive that the cops are trained to deal with this sort of situation, so all should be good in the end and I hope to god that I never have to be in a situation to grab my gun and defend my life or wonder who exactly IS on the other side of that door...

#16 ·
I'm with XD in SC, all of my guys wear earpieces, you won't hear their radios. Same with SIXTO, they don't have their lights, sirens or anything on when they get close to your house -- not even headlights most of the time.

For ccw9mm, I think you're giving too much credit to government purchasing. There's no way we can get the LEOs responding to talk to you over the phone while we're talking to you. lol

Standard procedure at my department is to keep you on the phone if someone is in or near your house (e.g. prowler). As for identifying if the people on the other side of the door are actually LEOs, I can give you their badge numbers and you can ask them through the door to verify. I can also notify you that they are on the other side of the door.

Usually if the LEOs responding know that you are in a particular room and are armed, they're not going to the door, they'll ask you to come to them. When I'm still on the phone with you, they'll do it over the radio and I'll tell you over the phone after asking you to secure your weapon (e.g. hands empty). They don't approach the door for their safety and for your's (remember: they have guns and the right to defend themselves, too). So, the safest thing is to secure your weapon and come to them in a neutral location (e.g. another part of your house).

Cheers.

#18 ·
For ccw9mm, I think you're giving too much credit to government purchasing. There's no way we can get the LEOs responding to talk to you over the phone while we're talking to you.
Nope. Semantics, I think. By "on the phone" I meant "speaking with" the officer via the dispatch, even if dispatch needed to relay the msg. Assuming that an LEO standing in a house has mobile comms with dispatch, it should be a simple thing for me to speak with the dispatcher, the dispatcher to speak with the LEO. It would then be obvious that the LEO on the other side of that door is speaking to my dispatcher about being in my house. As for being patched through in a 3-way conversation, it should be as simple as telephone technology back at the dispatch desk, to link line#2 with line #3, even if line #3 happens to have come in via radio. If it can be patched through, great. If not, the "conversation" with the LEO should still work, via the dispatcher's relaying of comments.

#22 ·
ExSoldier-
I was Com in the Marine reserve: we were on a field exercise at Camp Lejeune S.C. and the 1 star over the exercise asked if we could make such a civilian connection, was told it could be done but we had never done it. General made a snide comment and went on.

30 minutes later as he was walking by the Lt. said "Excuse me general you have a call" He took the call......His wife in Kalifornia was on the other end and asked him to pick up a gallon of milk on his way home :danceban: :danceban: :danceban:

When he hung up he just said "OK; point proven" and went on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.