Why not shoot the gun out of his hand????

This is a discussion on Why not shoot the gun out of his hand???? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was involved in a scenario once where the perp was READY to go for his gun and I shot his index finger off but, ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Why not shoot the gun out of his hand????

Administrator
    I was involved in a scenario once where the perp was READY to go for his gun and I shot his index finger off but, I'm not 100% certain that I could do that every time.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by PB2 View Post
    Last evening my wife and I were watching a police drama. A very distraught man is in a public park and a police office demands to see his hands. The man shows his hands and has a handgun in one of them. He immediately points it at a group of kids and the office rightfully shoots him in the chest 3 times killing him. The next words that came out of my wife's mouth not only shocked me but made me believe everything I've tried to teach her for the last 5 years has been for nothing. She actually said, "Why didn't he just shoot the gun out of his hand?" I tried to explain stopping the threat and shooting center mass but if she hasn't been listening in the past I have no real reason to believe she understood what I was saying. I'm at a loss.
    Blue Bloods, season 3, episode 11, titled "Front Page News".

Invite her to the range to have her demonstrate how she shoots the gun out of the hand of a static paper target. Then invite her to show you how it is done on live moving targets at the local paintball field.

Also, consider upgrading to wife version 2.0.

It was on the lastest episode of Blue Bloods the shooting is at the 3:50 mark in below clip.....
    Blue Bloods Video - Front Page News - CBS.com

The wife of the guy that got shot asked the same question.... Why didn't you shoot the gun out of his hand.

All in all, Blue Bloods is a good show.........
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

It's really sad that so many people expect police OR people who choose to defend themselves with guns to take the extreme risk of preserving an attacker/criminal's life at the expense of our own.

Even if they dont realize how incredibly hard shooting a gun out of someone's hand is or ineffective 'just shooting some one in the leg to stop them' may be, they would rather we risk OUR lives just to 'give the poor criminal a second chance.'
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    Kojack wasn't fat. ;-)

No, this guy was fat, bald and had squinty eyes.
    Cannon?
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Roy Rogers was not the only one. The Lone Ranger had a code that he lived by and part of that code was to never kill anyone. He always shot the gun out of the bad guys hand. ( take that Kemo Sabe)

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PB2 View Post
    She actually said, "Why didn't he just shoot the gun out of his hand?"
    Answer: Because I'm not The Lone Ranger or Roy Rogers!
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Because life isn't a movie

Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Sounds like she's been watching too many 70s cop/detective shows like Mannix and what was that other one? With the bald fat guy?
    Jake and The Fatman.

VIP Member
    Be grateful that the writers actually showed the correct action. In most TV shows like this, the good guy WILL shoot the gun out of the BG's hand and also manage to leave him unscathed!
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Sounds like she's been watching too many 70s cop/detective shows like Mannix and what was that other one? With the bald fat guy?
    Canon - "Detective Fats." he is the only TV detective in history able to shoot a helicopter our of the air with a snubby .38 (not the cheezy shot Bruce Willis did when he hit the power line in a Die Hard movie). Canon downed a chopper so I'm quite confident he could shoot the gun out of the BG's hands -probably at 200 yards - with a two inch.38!
    DefConGun likes this.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I was involved in a scenario once where the perp was READY to go for his gun and I shot his index finger off but, I'm not 100% certain that I could do that every time.
    This is not as uncommon as a lot of people think. When someone pulls a gun on a police officer, the officer will be focussed on the gun (obviously). While officers are trained to shoot center mass, they are also trained to hit where they are looking. It is not uncommon for the officer to hit the perp in the hand as the perp is pulling the gun.

And in that scene with the reporter in Blue Bloods, after the reporter asks his smarmy questions, Tom Selleck asks the reporter (not quoting exactly here) "You're in a situation with a man with a gun, threatening to shoot. You have a second to decide what to do. What will you do?" Reporter says, "Well, first of all..." Tom interrupts and says "Too late, you're dead." BAZINGA!
    msgt/ret likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by marcclarke View Post
    Also, consider upgrading to wife version 2.0.
    Too late. This wife is version 3.0

Sure she wasn't teasing you?

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links