Dream Scenario: Situational Awareness, Options, Skills, Equipment Malfunctions

This is a discussion on Dream Scenario: Situational Awareness, Options, Skills, Equipment Malfunctions within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A little bit of a long read, but hopefully useful. Most of our focus lately has been on the potential infringement of our 2nd Amendment ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By blanco64
  • 1 Post By blanco64

Thread: Dream Scenario: Situational Awareness, Options, Skills, Equipment Malfunctions

A little bit of a long read, but hopefully useful.

Most of our focus lately has been on the potential infringement of our 2nd Amendment rights, and for good reason. However, we should still take some time to look at one of the "other" reasons we're here: self-defense with a firearm.

This morning I had a dream of a self-defense scenario that didn't go well. Not a pleasant way to wake up on a Saturday morning, but fortunately a good learning experience as I decided to follow up on the dream as to how I SHOULD have reacted to this scenario. BTW, this made me think of a recent post by limatunes here Fighting to the Gun

A little background before I get into it. I started training in Taekwondo and general self-defense in December of 2011. I got my CC in November of 2012. I recently switched to Krav Maga and am training two evenings per week. Fitness and self-defense have sort of become my "hobby" (I figure I might as well have a hobby that's beneficial). I have not yet taken any defensive pistol courses (they're in my plans for the near future). So here goes . . .

The Dream:

My wife had bought a park bench for the green space across the road from our house (not really our house, no real green space across from us, no park bench, just a weird dream). A homeless person ~30 yrs old had decided to make it his sleeping quarters. We decided that I should let him know this wasn't acceptable (don't focus too much on the stuff to this point, it's just a dream).

As I was talking with him, a guy about the same age walking by says "He won't listen, these people don't care about anyone else." The homeless guy starts mouthing off to him and they're kind of going back-and-forth, while guy 2 starts moving around to my left, facing about 45 degrees away from me. About this time I begin to suspect they're setting me up, and I see guy 2 reach in his right pants pocket and start to turn towards me. I suspect he's drawing a weapon and react in time to grab his right wrist with my left hand as he clears his pocket with a Kershaw Zing SS (same knife I carry, which can be deployed with one hand). I proceed to start struggling with him and that's where I wake up, thinking to my self "I can't believe I didn't do hardly anything I've been training to do".

Let's analyze to this point:
    - Not considering the confrontation to be possibly more hostile: Bad
    - Not considering the second guy to be a threat: Bad
    - Letting both guys get too close: Bad
    - Not reacting to the BG 2's weapon-draw in time to trap his hand in his pocket: Bad (although if I never saw a weapon it would be hard to justify deadly force)
    - Controlling BG 2's weapon hand at the wrist down low: Good
    - Not going on offense immediately at that point: Bad

So now I'm awake, had my coffee, in my basement, ready to go through the scenario. I think this scenario qualifies as a deadly-force scenario. Two guys ~30 years old, inside my personal space, confrontational scenario, one pulled a knife on me. I'll admit I haven't been practicing my draw (mostly from an avoidance of unloading and reloading my pistol every night as I don't like messing with it around the house when it's loaded), so I decided to unload and do that some. I normally carry in a Remora, IWB at 4:30. I also have a Nate Squared that I use sometimes. I decide to practice with the Remora since that's what I use the most.

After a few draws while clearing my cover garment with my left hand and drawing with my right, I realized that in this scenario my left hand is tied-up controlling the knife hand of my opponent. I'm either going to have to let go of his knife hand to clear my cover garment (bad idea), or I'm going to have to clear and draw with one hand. So I get in position of my left hand controlling my opponent's right wrist down low and reach back with my right to clear and draw.

With my right hand behind me on my grip and my left hand holding my opponent's right wrist down low by his side, I realize that my head is wide open for a strike by his left hand (forget the other guy for the moment, let's just focus on one opponent). In this situation I probably need to strike my opponent in the face/jaw first to stun him before reaching back for my pistol. At this range it could be an elbow (preferred), punch, or palm-heel strike.

Okay, so left foot forward, right foot back, left hand controlling my opponent's right hand down low, right elbow strike to the jaw/side-of-face, reach back, clear-and-draw, keep the pistol close and track up my front-right, stop it near my right pec aimed at my opponent. Guess what? The holster came with it, I can't get to the trigger (I swear I'm not making this up).

Okay, try again. Same thing. Release my opponents wrist, step back and clear the holster with my left hand, shoot. Why am I still holding the holster in my left hand?

Again. Same thing. Clear the holster and drop it, left hand into the two-handed firing position (still by my chest). Two shots to center mass, start looking for the other guy.

Wow! A lot of stuff to think about and a lot to go wrong, and that's just practicing by myself!

I know things won't always go according to plan, but the best you can do is train, try to expose yourself to various scenarios, and make sure your equipment works and know how to adapt if it doesn't.

I know I learned a few things from it. Your thoughts and inputs are appreciated.
    Kryptic35 likes this.

Better than my dream last night. My wife worked at a "massage" parlor and paintball range owned and run by Al Gore. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrow75 View Post
    Better than my dream last night. My wife worked at a "massage" parlor and paintball range owned and run by Al Gore. Weird.
    "Massage" parlor and paintball range - sounds like a great idea for a new business!
    Darrow75 likes this.

Links