what should i have done - Page 3

what should i have done

This is a discussion on what should i have done within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hard to say what to do. protect your wife, and have your gun ready. things will work themself out at this point....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what should i have done

hard to say what to do. protect your wife, and have your gun ready. things will work themself out at this point.

I recently read a response to a similar question that reminded the inquirer that since we have chosen to carry concealed, whether we like it or not, or whether any one else knows this at the moment or not, any altercation we are involved in will later be classified as an "armed confrontation" by those who judge us with the advantage of hindsight. Also remember what would have been a simple scuffle prior to our ccw permit may now unintentionally arm our aggressor who may or may not have the self-control and restraint that we, as responsible packers have to exercise regularly. When you carry, everything changes . . . or maybe it would be more accurate to say that the world is still exactly the same, but your view of it needs to be completely different!

Carry safe, and exercise patience, tough as it may be surrounded by !

ccWV
    The constitutions of most of our States assert, that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves, in all cases to which they think themselves competent, . . . that it is their RIGHT AND DUTY TO BE AT ALL TIMES ARMED . . . Thomas Jefferson (June 5, 1824)

In my state, if this escalated and should turn out that you used lethal force, you would not be a "reluctant participant", which would put you in dire straits.

When I started to carry, I changed my attitudes as I was trained to do...no more road rage when carrying, no alcohol when carrying, and above all being "Minnesota nice" at all times when carrying.

As they say, "It's not worth it"; you know that.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dihappy View Post

Now, i cant help but feel a bit like a wimp if something like that were to ever happen again being that i will have to "shrug it off" or ignore it.
    I am Hispanic and have the temper but I learned to control it since I have my CCW. When posed with a situation like you describe, I smile, say "You win" and walk away thinking :"They live by the grace of me they just don't know it and God help them if they ever do."
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Wait, Miggy, when Arnold Schwartzenegger spoke of the fieriness of hispanics, he was castigated as being racist. Now you're saying it like it's universally known... I just don't get it.

If somebody "disses" you or says something nasty and you don't want to just remain silent and take it, why not smile and reply with something pleasant, and completely unrelated? "How do you do?" or "Lovely day, isn't it?"

Saying something shows that you're not cowed or intimidated, but you can't be accused of escalating the situation. Plus, such an unexpected response to his insult may confuse the hell out of this punk for long enough to go about your business.

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    When posed with a situation like you describe, I smile, say "You win" and walk away thinking :"They live by the grace of me they just don't know it and God help them if they ever do."
    I think this is a great way to maintain your "ego" and not feel like a "wimp." What better than to walk away from a (potential)confrontation knowing that the insigators could be lying dead; but for the strength of your will, and the grace of God they are not.

The responsibility of CCW is to avoid situations that can cause trouble. When armed, "situation awareness" is the rule of the day. However, provocation is something else that must be avoided.

It makes me crazy everyday when some kid with a big mouth, an idiot with too much booze in him or a lousy driver crosses my path. But this is the world in which we live.

If my live or the lives of my loved ones are in imminent danger, you can bet I will defend.

The rest of the stuff? They're just a**holes. Sooner or later, they will mouth off to the wrong guy and get the crap beat out of them. It's called writing a check with their mouth that their a** can't cash.

Hi, I do not like amateur terrorist. But since you are armed you don't get the luxury of responding to them. Probably not smart even if you are not armed. (nothing like 4 guys piling out of a car to beat the living #### out of ya). BUT why not use your cell phone and call the local gg, give them a description and a location, doesn't hurt, makes you feel better, and if the car stops you are halfway to having the cavalary on the way.
    The world is a dangerous place to live... not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

Can we conceal carry hand gernades ??

Sounds like a good opportunity.......

Just kidding folks..... but we can all dream !!!

Go Miggy!! I like what Miggy said.

In Texas, what the dirtbags did is called "Disorderly conduct by offensive gesture" and "Disorderly conduct by offensive language." Get on your cell phone, speed dial 911, which should already be on everyones phone, and give the police their license number, AND, most important, tell the police you want to press charges and will testify against them.
    You don't have to fold, you have a recourse and you may be able to get the dirt bags shut down before they do it enough times to work up the courage and go another step farther.
    If you fear repercussions:Consult Miggy again!
    We don't have to back down to criminals if we will take the time and be a good citizen and stop human trash before they hurt someone.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by hurst1911a1 View Post
    at this point i was just fed up, so i just gestured for them to come back, they just drove off. so in my eyes, i was not provoking a fight... just calling their bluff. by doing what i did, could that have been seen as provocation?
    Absolutely. Someone armed and capable of stopping a confrontation must not, under any circumstances, contribute to that altercation or escalation of it. It's one of the surest ways to add a few loops to the noose, so to speak.

The best advice is as others have suggested, of course: ignore, walk/drive away. If it escalates because they act like wolves pursuing prey, then ... refuse to be prey the moment you're cornered. Until then, anything you do to contribute will likely be seen as exactly that. And, the one who is armed and has been trained is, for better or worse, going to be held to the higher standard.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Lew
    In my youth, it would have angered me. I don't care anymore. My skin is thick now. Although the mischeivious side of me thinks a paint ball machine gun would be perfect to have at that instant.... Do they make a paint ball grenade? hehehe.

If they had gotten out of the car and approached me (with me carrying or not,) I would point to one of the many security camera's these places have, and said "Smile for the camera! It might win the Jury over to you!"

Hey, I got the perfect solution. You reach into your pocket and push your big red EASY button, and a 2 ton truck slams into their door and pushes the car into the wall of the store, pinning them in the car and pops the trunk dumping a bale of pot onto the sidewalk, just as two uniformed police officers walk out of the store with donuts and coffee.... *sigh, what a nice daydream....*
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    If somebody "disses" you or says something nasty and you don't want to just remain silent and take it, why not smile and reply with something pleasant, and completely unrelated? "How do you do?" or "Lovely day, isn't it?"

You don't really believe that would be effective against some of the rowdier, more degenerate among society, do you?

I don't.

I believe that some of the types we're talking about determine for themselves whether they going to try to make victims of us, and when they hurl the first insult, it's already pretty much decided, and our verbal response is irrelevant whether we return with, " you," or "Yes, lovely weather we're having."

Quote Originally Posted by myusername View Post
    I wouldnt feel like I am "folding". At that point they have done nothing to me. They have not harmed me. They are just acting like idiots. I am not the type of person that needs to react to some words from idiots in a car. I really don't care what they are yelling out their windows. If they choose to get out and actually do something then I would react accordingly.

+1

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links