Multiple attackers.....

This is a discussion on Multiple attackers..... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; jp4240 - My advice goes along with the others who posted already; basically: 1) Report every threat to LE - every time they do something, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Multiple attackers.....

jp4240 - My advice goes along with the others who posted already; basically:

1) Report every threat to LE - every time they do something, call it in;

2) File a restraining order;

3) Get some OC - if you already know them, and you see them coming, start spraying from a distance (do a search on ASP Street Defender for some of my posts in re);

4) Sit down with a Criminal Defense Attorney to discuss your legal rights/options/repercusions if involved in a self defense event;

5) Get some training from one of the many schools available.

My 2 cents.

Sheldon J - how does a Peace Bond works in your jurisdiction?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by jp4240 View Post
    "don't try and be the 'Lone Ranger"

"if you pull your CCW and try and impress them that you are dangerous and not to be messed with, well that is Brandishing and can loose your CCW"

I am in no way trying to impress anybody with a gun. I know it is a tool of last resort. My question was if multiple people are approaching you with a known hostile intent, what are my rights. Not what are my options for being a bad a** with a gun.

Obviously I am new to having a CCW permit. That is the reason I am here. Not to be judged and called a “lone ranger”.

Thanks
    Didn't judge or accuse you of said don't be. If you pull your gun to defend you need to be very sure that this a real and deadly issue, that their is no other recourse, or retreat. I know our new no retreat Castle Law has taken effect, but who wants to be the first test case.
    A good lawyer would ask if you knew they were a threat what steps did you take to avert the situation before it escalated. A CCW is a very large responsibility (as you know by now), you have a duty to be better than the majority of the rest of the people on the street.
    Once you have prior knowledge of someone that wishes you ill then you need to be taking preventive steps to get an intervention.
    Namely the PD is your primary at this point, once they know there is an issue and you insist they proceed then they will at least start the process and stop, detain, and question. Once this is established the PERP will be forced to back off, only a real stupid person will proceed once tagged. If they continue then the 2% in the face is a real good first line deterrent to a threat that is not high on drugs.
    Besides the HK this old man carries the 2% along with a nice high output tac light, and a good knife, all part of the gear, keep it at condition red all the time, be aware of your surroundings, I work in a high crime area and for me this is a must every day.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by jp4240 View Post
    Obviously I am new to having a CCW permit. That is the reason I am here. Not to be judged and called a “lone ranger”.
    jp:

Why we're all here, I hope, is exactly to judge actions. Absolutely, learning from what others think of our actions is one of the great benefits of posting in public, like this, in front of a knowledgeable, skilled and (yes) opinionated crew like the members here. Though some comments may not seem like it, generally folks don't jab fingers in the chests of others, here. It's not the people, but the actions, that are questioned ad infinitum. That's as it should be. Else, we cannot learn.

Me, I've carried for a relatively long time (16yrs now). However, everytime I scan the new postings or check the archives, I learn something new from someone that has actually been in combat, had to withstand a brutal assault, had to withstand attack in court. I've had my "calls" called into question. I try very hard, hopefully with some measure of success, to take a knowledgeable position only when it has been well-reasoned and comes from direct experience and study.

Still, I know that what I've seen/studied doesn't amount to a drop in the bucket of the experience of some, here. I know that I can learn something from everyone's scrutiny of my thoughts, actions. It's my primary reason for being here, and for posting so much of my thinking: to have it kicked around in public and improved, such that if it really comes to it I won't be kicked around by the public in court. Kicked very hard, if need be. The point is to improve my thinking, prior to it really mattering as a life & death requirement. My thanks to those that have questioned and beaten up on some of my postings, if for no other reason than I've learned from exactly that. That's a good thing.

By the way, if you haven't already done so, pick up a copy of the book entitled "In The Gravest Extreme," by Massad Ayoob. It's one of the best reviews of the practical realities of concealed carry and the use of lethal force that exists. IMO, it should be required reading.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Talk to PD- specifically the units that patrol your area. If you call in a report from your work, you'll be talking to one of the "local" units. Think about what you have to say, and how to say it. Present yourself clearly, concisely, and with great fore-thought. Looking like a "nervous nellie", or the aforementioned "LoneRanger", will do you no favors with PD. Personally, I might not even mention CCW, on the initial "visit", just report, and keep in touch, but if asked, be honest. Park under camera coverage, if your place of employment uses lot surveillance.(This will help in a vandalism prosecution, if they decide to go after your vehicle.)

Verify your employer's policy, re: firearms. Not telling you what to do, just know what the consequences might be.

As stated, pepper spray. Try a couple of different delivery mechanisms (foam or spray, basically) and see which would be better suited to the "normal winds" in your area.

Learn to "get off the X". Footwork can save your life, and worlds of grief. Wanna-bes can be more dangerous than the real thing- they have a strong need to impress. In that vein, I would be more concerned for your GF, or you as a couple.

If they know you carry and they are serious, you could be in a pickle.
    If they get the drop on you then you have to do what you have to do. Be aware of your surroundings at all times. If they come for you in a group and you know these guys get the leader first. I have never been in that situation and I really don't see a good outcome if your attacked by multiples. That said, I would absolutlely take the advise of the posters on thsi issue. Just my opinion. Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links