Scenario: The Dreaded ATM

This is a discussion on Scenario: The Dreaded ATM within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Another actual event where you get to say what ending you would put on it. It is 2 AM you just got off work. You ...

Thread: Scenario: The Dreaded ATM

VIP Member

Another actual event where you get to say what ending you would put on it.

It is 2 AM you just got off work. You need some cash. You are familiar with the area and it is not a high crime area. So you pick an ATM with a lot of visibility and go for cash. As the ATM is processing you catch movement out of the corner of your eye and turn to look.

You guessed it, two guys on foot are coming your way with a purpose. Now they have been on foot for awhile because this ATM is basically in the middle of a parking lot.

They are still 25-30 yards away and you are carrying. The ATM still isn\'t giving up the cash and you know from experience you have a good 30-45 seconds before the transaction is completed and you can get back in your car. So the two guys will get there before then. Your car is protecting your left flank and the guys are to your right. Behind them is a parking structure.

What do you do?

Moving to my car. However much scratch I got coming out of that ATM, it aint worth what may happen here. Again, I\'m presuming but, I figure the money is gonna appear as they are closing in on the machine. They get what they were after and I get to go home. As they take the money from the machine, the video camera in the machine will get a good recording of at least one if not both. Not gonna pepper spray these guys as I really dont think there are just 2 of them. Somebody drove them there and is probably waiting in the garage to pick them up.
    Ps, this is why I dont use ATMs. Had a rash of these type robberies here in Tampa about 2 yrs ago.

Dan

Sad to say but I buddy system ATM\'s

~A

Do not use them......plan ah e a d. In fact, do not even know how to use one.

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    I am with jdsummer, except punch the cancel button on the atm as you walk away. Hopefully they will get to the machine just in time for it to spit your worthless card out. Three wrong pin numbers and it is just a piece of plastic. By then you are in your car backing away and have you finger on the send button of your cell phone ready to dial 911 if you have to.

Since im not out at 2am im a early bird ..lol Would probley do the cancle thing and and split to the car.. course when im at the atm unless its in the company van im armed and if its company van its deposit only no withdraws on company card ... if they wanna take my deposit they can 99% of time its checks hell ill give um the van and company credit card if they want ... As is company policy..

Oo and our atm i use is right across from the police station the dispatcher window looks out to atm so does a video camera

VIP Member
    Cancel button. I haven\'t used atms enough to think of that one. Good. I was thinking bail to the car and make a report.

DC Founder
    Originally posted by KC135
    Do not use them......plan ah e a d. In fact, do not even know how to use one.
    I\'m with you, they charge you to use an ATM, but using a cashier costs you nothing. Doesn\'t make sense to me....

Membership Revoked Array clubsoda22's Avatar
    I only use atm\'s inside of buildings, not in the parking lot.

However, at that disatnce you\'re already threatened. look for cover, blade your stance with the gun away from them and put your hand on your hip. They might just turn and walk if they think you\'re armed and realize that you are aware of their intentions.

btdt. still do that at least once a month. gotta pay rent, ya know, and i dont have a checking account.

usually i\'ll make sure my weapon is visible, my shirt pulled over it, or coat pulled back enough so anyone approaching might see it.

then again, since i dont have a car, i am on foot, so my threat \'assessment'is usually kicked up an extra notch or two.

BAM!!!

Links