Right To Shoot?? - Page 2

Right To Shoot??

This is a discussion on Right To Shoot?? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Because it wasn't necessary? Just because one can doesn't mean one should or needs to....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Right To Shoot??

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Because it wasn't necessary? Just because one can doesn't mean one should or needs to.
    Secret Spuk and Cdknox like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Question. LEts say this happens would you take his wallet to get his ID so if he does flee the cops know who he is? Would this be acceptable?
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    What if his wallet contains false ID? But what if, what if, what if?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spade115 View Post
    Question. LEts say this happens would you take his wallet to get his ID so if he does flee the cops know who he is? Would this be acceptable?
    Consider that for a moment. You have no legal authority to do anything to him. He's not your prisoner and you have no lawful ability to detain him. You're going to take his wallet at gunpoint... If his attorney is better than yours, you'll be facing armed robbery charges.

I guess the definition of "attack" leads to some circumstantial differences too. If the "attack" just killed someone, then yeah, you could tie his butt up and sit on him if need be. If the "attack" was a purse snatch, then it may not be such a good idea legally to try anything beyond getting the guy to flee.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spade115 View Post
    That would be armed robbery.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

just checking. lol Ive always wondered why after someone "Attacks" someone no one ever tries to get identification. But it would obviously depend on the type of "attack"
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Not enough information. How do you know it's not a lovers spat. How do you know it's not some kinky role play. How do you know that the woman didn't just steal the guys wallet and he's trying to retain her for the police. How do you know that she isn't attacking him. It's just not that simple, and you are never justified shooting a suspect that is fleeing.
    Secret Spuk and dukalmighty like this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

VIP Member
    I'm not going to shoot someone unless my life is threatened. Doesn't matter if I have the "right to" or not. That's what separates us from the scumbags we carry to defend ourselves from.
    TX expat and TVJ like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

If someone is running away from you he poses no threat. That is a no shoot situation, unless you like the idea of going away for a very long time for murder. Me? I would let him go, and then run through the events in my mind so I can be a good witness.

Other Guys have already given the answers I would have...

You can shoot someone for running away
    If you take something from someone under the duress of a firearm... that is armed robbery.
    Just because someone is struggling with a woman dont mean he's breaking the law, or attacking the women. It's quite common for a woman victim to turn on her supposed saviour in favor of her man whi hits her once in a while because he loves her.

And I thank Sixto for the enlightened statement... Just because you can shoot someone dont mean you always should shoot...

Not a lawyer nor suggest that anyone do this and it isnt the orginal post I dont think since attack could be anything from baeting to rape to attempted murder.
    Rape is a felony and catching a person in process of committing it would I think give you cause and right to shoot the fleeing suspect. As would murder if you witnessed it occur. Not that I would recommend it or know all states regs on it only speaking from my own state.

If he gets up and runs away. He no longer is a threat. That would be a no shoot.

Most states only recognize the justification for deadly force to defend against someone's unlawful use of deadly force. Texas allows a bit more leeway in those things, but all in all, if all they are doing is fleeing the scene, let them run and let 911 know their direction of travel and clothing description.

And before you shoot in the original scenario, beware that the woman lie to police or may actually attack you for "intervening" with her boyfriend or husband during an "Argument."

I had a friend in the Sheriff's Department that was cracked over the head with a beer bottle by the woman he was defending from being punched unconscious by a man at a club, who also just happened to be her boyfriend. Ended up he arrested them both, but she was mad because, "They were just arguing" and her meal ticket was being arrested.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

Here is a good example for you. Happened in RI not to long ago. Two neighbors got into an arguement. Fire fighter and police officer. Both off duty. Fire fighter goes to neighbors house, arguement ensues inside of police officers house. Fist fight breaks out, fire fighter assaults police officer and then begins to leave the house. Police officer shoots fire fighter in the back as he was leaving and kills him. Police officer got into deep doodoo. Sorry for the quick rundown but you get my point.
    “Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln

If he is running away,to late.It's not self defense,anymore.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links