What if the bad guy bolts? - Page 2

What if the bad guy bolts?

This is a discussion on What if the bad guy bolts? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by boricua If I were the BG, I wouldn't take that chance, regardless of the likelihood of being shot in the back. If ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: What if the bad guy bolts?

Quote Originally Posted by boricua View Post
    If I were the BG, I wouldn't take that chance, regardless of the likelihood of being shot in the back. If I'm unarmed and having the barrel of a gun pointing at me, you bet that I'll do exactly what the thief did in the video; obey.
    I'd bolt every time.
    BugDude likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    If its me and the BG bolts, I'd likely put a round in the dirt a good ways behind him so that whenever he gets where he's going he had to change his drawers. Other than that, I'd let him bolt.
    Some places that has been construed as attempted murder.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

I was in a situation where the BGs bolted once.

I was 15 years old and living at home with my parents. My room was on the front of the house with a wrap around porch on two sides of my room. It wa summer, hot, and my windows were open. Two drunk men vandalized a car in the driveway. The noise woke me up, and about the time I realized what was happening they started towards the porch. I closed the windows. They came up and started trying to get in. While they were ripping the screen off of a window, I grabbed my Remington pump .22 that was loaded. With the screen out, they put a wooden baseball bat through the glass and one of them stuck his head and arms through and started to climb in. I racked the slide and put 2 rounds in the wall just below him. If he had kept coming, the next one was aimed at his head. He backed out and they stumbled off the porch and through the yard. I stood there in my whitey tidies pumping 22 rounds in the dirt just behind them to make sure they didn't come back. About that time, my Dad comes through the door to find me there in my drawers pumping rounds out the window and glass everywhere.

The cops were called and the guys were caught the next morning. That night the officer asked me if I thought I hit either of them and I said, "Heck no, if I had wanted to hit them you wouldn't have any trouble finding them. I shoot 500 rounds through this thing every Saturday."

They never made an issue out of my warning shots. The officer also told me that I would have been well within my rights to have shot the guy as he was entering my window. Hey, at 15, I did the best I could do with the wherewithall I had at the time.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Great job home owner....

Always Fight Crime - Shoot back until it stops.
    NRA member and supporter.
    A Gun without Ammo is called a door stop.

You did good.

Always Fight Crime - Shoot back until it stops.
    NRA member and supporter.
    A Gun without Ammo is called a door stop.

VIP Member
    Let him go, once he starts running away, he's no longer considered a threat.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

No shots fired!

+1
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

...I would never, under any circumstances, fire a "warning shot" with any weapon...I will shoot to stop the threat and for no other reason...
    Secret Spuk likes this.

If the BG decides to bolt...let them go. Don't shoot a warning shot, don't try to scare them with your gun. Just pay attention to what they are wearing and let the police have all the facts you can provide them.
    Secret Spuk likes this.

Warning shots.

Consider yourself warned.
    Snub44 likes this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Warning shots in my book are a no no... you could shoot a round off in the air and pray it doesn't come down and kill someone by mistake or shooting into the ground and pray it doesnt ricochet and hit an innocent bystander. That is how I was taught.

I would only draw if I felt me, my family or innocents were in danger. Once the danger is over there would be no reason for me to fire.

I have only had to deal with 2 home invasions. First one was a guy on my dads platoon (I was 15 or 16 and we lived in a house in the real upstate ny.... Gouverneur) woke up one morning and the front door was wide open and this guy was fast asleep on the living room couch. Got my shotgun and woke my brother. I was young and stupid and was interested in messing with guy... unloaded the shotgun so I don't accidentally shoot him. Wacked him on the nose with the barrel while my brother woke up my dad. Guy crapped himself and it didn't take long for the sheriff to show up. Come to find out the guy got drunk at a local bar and couldn't find a way back to base ( bout an hours drive) and stumbled in our house and passed out. No charges were filed and since my dad was his supervisor he had his work cut out for him once work resumed Monday.

The second time was when i was 21 or 22. Pregnant wife in Navy housing in San Diego. Came home one day and a guy was sleeping on the couch.. emptied the frig and went to sleep. Didnt mess with this guy ( lesson learned from my dad who gave me a strong talking to about confronting strangers in the house). I also didnt have anything to protect us if they guy was a looney. Took about 45 minutes for police to arrive and remove the guy before we went inside again.

Today I live in Colorado on the Western side and obviously have a hd plan since now I have two kids. I also have two dogs that bark at strangers. Driveway is about a quarter mile and dogs go crazy when a car turns on it.

If the BG runs you chase him down shoot him and drag him back in the house. Problem solved. :)
    I'm joking. Yeah if he runs away it would be risky to chase him not knowing who is outside waiting. So if the BG runs out the house let him go since your most important items and people are in the house.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post
    I personally don't care what the law says.

I'm not taking another persons life, over stuff, period. Nothing I own is uninsured. If I'm not concerned for my life, or the life of a loved one, or an innocent, the BG gets a walk. Taking a life, whether legally justified or not, isn't something anyone should want to do.

There will be some residual damage (psychologically), no matter how tough you think you are. I have many friends and former coworkers who still struggle with the after affects of this, and it it just isn't worth it to protect your damn TV, IMHO.

Having said all of that, the game changes when I fear for my life, or the life of a loved one, or innocents. Then you do what you have to do, and deal with the aftermath the best way you can.
    Two specific comments on your reply.
    1) I hope your comment about the law is not in response to my factoid about a section in the SC Code of Laws, as defined in my Reply #4---I only quoted the law and did indicate that I am not going to shoot someone over "stuff"--it is not imminent danger in my appreciation of what imminent danger means to me personally and within the Code of Law
    2) You mention the psychological effect a shooting has had on friends etal. When I decided to purchase a firearm, I was convinced after thoughtful consideration that if I am in imminent danger and am required to discharge my firearm and even end up killing someone, that my well-being easily trumps the "not so well-being" of my adversary. If I had the slightest doubt, which could translate into those few milli-seconds of delay in my defensive reaction, I would not have bothered obtaining a firearm. If this should exist in anyone, they had better get over it real quickly because the BG has none and he will kill you.
    USM1976 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Let him go, once he starts running away, he's no longer considered a threat.
    ^^^This is the correct answer.^^^
    Secret Spuk likes this.

my knowledge

After having my house broken into on 3 seperate ocassions and having long discussions with my local Police and Sheriff's department. I was told by both departments that if you see a person illegally holding your property while trespassing ANYWHERE on your property(land) you have the legal right you shot them and use deadly force. As the penal code below states.

Quote Originally Posted by 68blackbird View Post
    Depends on your state... Texas Penal Code -

§ 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is
    justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or
    tangible, movable property:
    (1) if he would be justified in using force against the
    other under Section 9.41; and
    (2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the
    deadly force is immediately necessary:
    (A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of
    arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the
    nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or
    (B) to prevent the other who is fleeing
    immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated
    robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the
    property; and
    (3) he reasonably believes that:
    (A) the land or property cannot be protected or
    recovered by any other means; or
    (B) the use of force other than deadly force to
    protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or
    another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.
    USM1976 likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links