Car Jack

This is a discussion on Car Jack within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You are alone driving home from where ever. Its later in the evening, so traffic is light. Road construction has you taking a different route, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Jack

Administrator

Car Jack

You are alone driving home from where ever. Its later in the evening, so traffic is light. Road construction has you taking a different route, a route through a not so great part of town.
    You pull up to a traffic light, behind another car. Being the ninja like warrior you are, you keep glancing around, keeping track of the people around you, and notice that you and the vehicle in front of you are the only cars waiting for the light. As the light turns green, the car in front backs into your bumper, not hard, but enough.
    As you exit to check damage, both rear doors open of the other car, and two thugs exit and advance toward you, one has a weapon in hand, the other is appears to be drawing.

You are still behind the door of your car. What are you going to do?

2. Remove Ads

Well I will get this out of the way for everyone. I live in a small town, so this is very unlikely. Now that that is over with.

I would hope that I would notice the backup lights when they placed the transmission in reverse, and either honk, (of course if this is purely intentional honking won't do any good), or back up myself and get out of the way.

But based on your scenario, depending on the vehicle I was in at the time, with the info you have layed out. The weapon in hand being a gun I assume. If in my jeep I would probably have to do my best make sure I was the first to get good shots on target while protecting my self behind the vehicle as best as possible. If in my truck or van, I might try to get them into reverse and cover myself at the same time behind the dash while making a hasty retreat. This would be a good time to be a lefty I think, with lots of practice single handed shooting.

Since I rarely shoot off hand except with single actions, I don't think I would do much left handed other than make someone take cover possibly.

The difference being that my jeep is a standard and not much in the way of dash ect to get behind for cover while retreating. The other two vehicles are automatics and have much bigger dashes and more room to cover my a... while going backwards very fast.

This is a tough one, and there would not be much time at all to decide which one of the actions to take for sure.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

By the time you realize that 2 thugs are coming to you, it's too late to attempt to draw.

If no one is behind you, reverse is the only way out.

Also if it's 2 thugs, and you manage to draw, who gets the 1st round? Remember they are already in motion towards you, and you are in WTH just happened mode.

Depending on the vehicle, I am tempted to floor it forward. With the vehicle I usually am driving, A) no one would want it, and B) I know it would take a serious beating before it left me stranded from damage.

My accident on Oct. 27 '05 proved it. That's why I bought another.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Thats a real tough one. Two things my Dad always told me was to speed through those bad neighborhoods and NEVER get out of the vehicle. You might be thinking, "what about cops?" Well, if you think about it, its a bad neighborhood partly because there aren't that many patrolling. Besides, I'd much rather get pulled over by a cop and get a ticket than get pinned by a perp and forced to defend myself.

But back to your situation, I don't know.

Lead Moderator
    Depends on how they look. If intent on coming to me, drive away . If they appear to be surveying damage, I would stay in vehicle, tell em no problem(brush bar on the truck). I would definitely make some distance between us.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

1} After dark I always leave about 10 feet between me and a stopped car, in a bad neighborhood especially so, maybe more. I may have time to back up myself and avoid contact.

2} I carry a cell phone so before I exit I am calling the cops, gives time to see what they do and gets the cavalry on the way.

3} I drive a 1 ton 4X4 pick up, unless they have something bigger they ain't stopping me. Unless I have the camper on there is a heavy steel toolbox behind the cab so I have protection from behind if I decide to go forward, and that diesel is protection up front.

4} Iím shooting anything that is a threat as I get the heck out-a Dodge

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    1} After dark I always leave about 10 feet between me and a stopped car, in a bad neighborhood especially so, maybe more. I may have time to back up myself and avoid contact.
    heres a tip of the day; a trick to be sure that you have enough space for a getaway between you and the car in front of you at a stop light, make sure you can see where the rubber meets the road on the cars tires in front of you.

Since you already said I am out of my vehicle I would assume it's because you don't want me to get back in. Assuming that I perceive this as intentional once the guys exit with a weopon (like you said), I would probably leave the door open and move to the rear of my truck. Probably get one coming on each side. Assuming they are equally close, I would engage the one on the driver's side first, since the other guy would have to unlock the door to get in. Then with both threats eliminated, I would move up the passenger side and engage the driver, keeping my engine between us.

Of course all of these scenerios are "Play it as you see it", I hate it when that is the only answer you get on here. And I played the scenerio out in my head and stated it as I see it happening.

OK, here's what I would do. I would engage them in conversation "Hey, easy, my fault. Please don't hurt me..." yada yada yada.

While talking, hoping that it slightly distracts them into thinking I'm a victim, I would casually draw (since I'm behind my car door, that can't see it and since I'm acting submissive, they don't expect it. I would, from the hip, then aim my gun at the passenger window (or windshield) and fire twice, causing a shatter or breakage of the glass.

It would likely cause this reaction: Not being able to see my gun, and having experience with mis-direction of sound from gun shots, they would almost assuredly:

1) Believe the shots were coming from behind them, and/or
    2) Drop or seek cover because they're not sure where it is coming from.

In either case, they would be distracted enough for me to escape or presecute, depending on the situation.

Of course, this is all predicated on me not having a passenger and the area beyond my passenger window not being a day care center or playground!

First, avoid getting hit, if you can't, don't get out of the car and writte down vehicle description / plate #; call LE and let them know what happened as you drive to the nearest Police station to report the accident / check for vehicle dammage.

Getting out of the car is asking for trouble; just roll the window down and tell the driver of the vehicle that hit you that you are going to the nearest Police station, for him to follow you / call it in / whatever.

My 2 cents.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by cagueits View Post
    Getting out of the car is asking for trouble; just roll the window down and tell the driver of the vehicle that hit you that you are going to the nearest Police station, for him to follow you / call it in / whatever.
    So you have two armed thugs headed your direction, you would prefer to be confined to your vehicle?

If someone is approching you with a gun it is ok to look really scared, and seek cover, RUN, to the back side of your car hide and draw.

When he comes around to shoot you, double tap center mass.

good luck.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    As you exit to check damage, both rear doors open of the other car, and two thugs exit and advance toward you, one has a weapon in hand, the other is appears to be drawing.

You are still behind the door of your car. What are you going to do?

I would head quickly to the back of my car for cover, while drawing, trying to keep them in view, and I would open fire on the first one of them I had a clear shot at, and be ready to fire on the second one. Doesn't seem to be any point in wasting time: you know what their intentions are, and you knew it from the moment they rolled in reverse at a green light to hit your vehicle deliberately.

Of course, I would backtrack for a moment: I would NOT have gotten out of my vehicle after something that appeared to be a deliberate hit at a stoplight in the night. That would be enough to make me bug outta there in the path of least resistance, and that might be flooring it in reverse to put some distance between me and them. The farther back I went, the less likely any shots they might fire are to hit ME in my vehicle. Maybe I'll be lucky and they won't even fire. Meanwhile I'm on the phone to the police with a description of their vehicle and (hopefully) the license plate number.

Getting out of the car to check for damage is the big mistake here, it seems to me, because the big sign on their actions screams "AMBUSH ABOUT TO TAKE PLACE!"

Administrator
    Still a key element missing though...

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Given the parameters of the hypothetical, I'm afraid it's GoTime.

I draw and shoot the guy who has already drawn. Then I shoot the guy who is drawing.

What happens? Who knows. It all becomes unpredictable when you start to fight. It won't be pretty.

But if I'm out of the car and someone draws a weapon on me in this situation, ugly is called for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links