"Contaced by law enforcement" what does this mean?

This is a discussion on "Contaced by law enforcement" what does this mean? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Printed in red ink on the bottom of my Sacramento County-issued LTC it reads... "If contacted by law enforcement and carrying a concealed weapon, you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: "Contaced by law enforcement" what does this mean?

Printed in red ink on the bottom of my Sacramento County-issued LTC it reads..."If contacted by law enforcement and carrying a concealed weapon, you must advise the officer of the presence of a a firearm either on your person or otherwise present." I'm totally fine with this; and, if I were a LEO, I would want it too.

My question is in the definition of "contacted". Certainly if I had a traffic stop or was a crime witness, anything like that, that would qualify as a "contact".

What, however, if I were in a checkout line, and happened to be standing next to a LEO, and the officer said "hello", or "how about those Forty Niners?", would the exchange of a mere pleasantries constitute a "contact"? What if I walked by an officer and he saw my veterans' hat and said ... "thankyou for your service" (this has happened). Would this be a contact?

Clearly I want to follow the rules; however, I don't want to be an idiot either.

I'll probably ask the same question on Calguns.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

2. Remove Ads

It means if you are the "object" of officer contact, let them know you are carrying. If you are walking down the street, you don't have to tell the officer you walk by. Or as in your example next to in line. If you are pulled over, you should inform the officer. I would say if you are the "object of investigation" tell. That sounds way worse than it really is, but thats basically what they want.
    oneshot likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Thanks BigJon, what you write makes sense.
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

Re: "Contaced by law enforcement" what does this mean?

They don't care around here mostly but if they do care you will be told to put your hands palm down on the hood before they ask the weapons questions.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Some States have what is known as " no duty to inform" unless asked by the officer. Others, like yours have what is called " A duty to inform upon initial contact" which means if you are approached by an officer anywhere any time and he makes contact verbally with you, the very first thing you do is inform him you have a concealed carry permit and you are in possession of a firearm. Try to avoid using words like gun or weapon. These are trigger words for LEO and raise they're anxiety level unnecessarily.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

VIP Member
    In Ohio it means if you have any "official" contact with an officer. It doesn't mean that you need to announce to the police everytime you see a cop within ten feet. It just means that if they are conducting police business and you are talking to them then you need to announce.

two examples:

1) Walking into a burger joint and a uniformed officer is in line in front of you. He turns to you and says "Hello, nice day. Isn't it?"...Don't announce.

2) Your wife gets pulled over and you are in the vehicle. Even though you are not the focus of the officer you need to announce. "Official contact" is the key phrase.
    GeorgiaDawg likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

The specific wording in each state is different, regarding what constitutes "contact."

That wording you describe, there, clearly indicates situations in which you are contacted by LEOs. Doesn't mean if you happen to meet one, speak with one, or where you initiate contact. Seems clear the statue's highlighting situations in which you're the object of contact, the point of the stop (ie, pulled over for a traffic infraction, or stopped on the street to be queried).

If you've not done so already, I'd suggest picking up a copy of the book by John Machtinger, How to Own a Gun and Stay Out of Jail (CA).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    CA law may be different, but everywhere I've been the contact must be line of duty. Just passing on the street and offering each other a greeting does not fit as line of duty.
    USM1976 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Law was written in such away they can make it mean anything they want. They like to do that so they can charge you for just about anything.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If the contact is in an "official capacity", in form. Mere bypassing pleasentries is not contact in an occificaql capacity. It has to be official duty related. You walk by an LEO and he says, "Morning," and you stop and say "I have a guna and a permit," you'll most likely get "contact."
    USM1976 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Law was written in such away they can make it mean anything they want. They like to do that so they can charge you for just about anything.
    There are some real issues with any sort of authority here.
    Jetfuelrm and USM1976 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

We covered this specifically in my CCW class. Contact means official contact and not casual conversation.

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    "Sacramento issued LTC"??? Not sure what that is but to err on the side of safety (yours) Id consult the law at the state level and get the definitive word on the obligation to inform.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.--->Herbert Spencer

Springfield xd 45, Sig Sauer SP2022(9mm),Remington 700(.308), Yugo M10 variant w/IZH Kobra optic,...and lots of ammo for all of 'em.

I have the same thing on my LTC. I've never had contact with LE, but I don't think (hope) it would be a huge deal with the local PD or SO. However, I travel to the Bay Area often for work. If I ever had to inform somewhere like Palo Alto I would expect a problem. Hell I'd half expect a SWAT team
    IBGoodToGo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampshade View Post
    I have the same thing on my LTC. I've never had contact with LE, but I don't think (hope) it would be a huge deal with the local PD or SO. However, I travel to the Bay Area often for work. If I ever had to inform somewhere like Palo Alto I would expect a problem. Hell I'd half expect a SWAT team
    Your probably right...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links