An interesting broad daylight situation I had.

This is a discussion on An interesting broad daylight situation I had. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After he was gone, my one friend said, "Why'd you run like that?" I responed that I couldent see the guys hands, and after the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An interesting broad daylight situation I had.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    After he was gone, my one friend said, "Why'd you run like that?" I responed that I couldent see the guys hands, and after the cursing he just gave us, I had no idea what to expect.
    Then it occured to me, that I had acted in the interests of my own safety with little regard to my friends'. This disappointed me a bit, as I had always assumed I would act in the best interests of whoever I was with. When I reflect on it now, I admit that I would probably do the same thing. The threat went from being "not there" to "there" so quick that I didn't have time to issue instructions or advise. I simply provided for my own safety as quickly as possible. I later told my friends, "Guys, I love ya to death, but YOU gotta pay attention to what's going on, and be prepared to react. I'll do my best to help you, but when it comes down to the line, I'm looking out for myself first."
    That's the first time in my life I've been in a situation where another individual has really made me fear for my safety. I feel confident in what I did, but also guilty that I left my buddies standing there with their mouth's open getting cursed at.
    Kairo,
    I have ZERO problem with what you did. You were stunned into action and did what every single person should do as a combination of instinct, training, and reasoned thought.

Your buddies are not helpless little children, and they have available to them all the options for protecting themselves that you do, from firearms and training, to unarmed combat skills. Like you said, there was not time for you to direct their actions, or for you to shepherd them out of harm's way. You did nothing wrong by being the only one alert enough and sensible enough to recognize a very credible threat and get yourself to safety. (Frankly I'm surprised to read that you didn't draw!)

Don't give yourself grief about it. You did a-okay. I give a hearty endorsement to what you told your friends. They should be the ones who have to be rethinking their reactions in this case, not you.

Glad you made it through okay.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    hey, when in doubt, take cover. Yes your friends are bummed "dude why'd you run?" But like you said you got to look out for youself, family is one thing, friend are another, besides if the SHTF you would have been better off with a covered position to return fire from.

kairo I think you acted like i bet a lot of us would friend is not blood like family

i think you acting in your best interest and theirs

What you did was smart. In effect, you moved yourself to a position of control. The fact that you moved, would have been enough to disorient the BG should he decide to become an attacker.

Your actions show that you are in control and that you are upsetting the potential BG's OODA loop. Once he recognized that his strategy of disorienting a potential target through the use of a string of verbal abuse was ineffective, he did the best thing he could which is retreat from someone who had a higher level of control.

Good job.
    Last edited by Sonic Misfit; October 24th, 2006 at 09:16 PM. Reason: clarity

You did pretty good, IMHO. It reminded me of a similar situation that happened to me. Only that I was walking to my car, this car pulls up from behind right next to my car, I just kept on walking pretending that the car they stopped by wasn't mine and preceeded to take "cover" by going in between cars. They didn't say anything, they just speed off. But they looked really suspicious.

Another question of, "Well, did you report the suspicious actor to the police afterward?"

I would hope so; otherwise, it could just be a matter of time and circumstance before he finds a victim he can truly get over on.

I agree with all the others.

To summarize:

1) You acted on instinct and acted appropriately. Nothing wrong with that.

2) You have to take care of yourself before you can take care of others.

3) This incident is a good learning opportunity for your friends.

It never ceases to amaze me how much it takes to get some people into an elevated level of awareness, ie. your friends. I've seen the same thing with people that I know.

There is nothing wrong with taking precautionary actions and having it turn out to be nothing. However with that being said, you never really know if precautionary actions you take were necessary or not. For example, if you cross the street when someone suspicious approaches, and nothing happens...there is no way to know if something would have happened had you not crossed the street. But, I find that easy to accept.

I appreciate the fact that you emphasized that this happened in "broad daylight". That's a term that the media always uses to make a crime appear more tragic. They believe that bad things aren't supposed to happen during "broad daylight". Many people think the same thing. I know someone that has a CCW permit but told me that he rarely carries. His reason? He hardly ever goes out at night. I tried to tell him that's the wrong attitude but he won't listen. I think that's some people's way of feeling safe. They convince themselves that if they don't go here or there, or go out at night, they're "safe". Oh well, what are ya' gonna do?

Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post
    hey, when in doubt, take cover. Yes your friends are bummed "dude why'd you run?"
    Yup. 100% You took suitable precautions with an unknown threat, in advance of him having proved himself trustworthy. You ensured you'd be protected in case SHTF. You could have responded decisively if needed. Your friends ... well, they would do well to learn from this, but I fear they don't have the first clue, and they likely won't until the first time they're caught pants-down and damaged from an incident (though, perhaps not even then).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Interesting notion brought up: do we ever see crime statistics broken down into daylight/nighttime occurrence?! I can't recall ever having read of a ratio of crimes committed in the day versus at night.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    do we ever see crime statistics broken down into daylight/nighttime occurrence?
    The NHTSA captures traffic fatality data with the date/time attached, though I don't know about general fatalities, or firearm fatalities. Can't imagine such data being captured without that data, but like you I have never seen it reported as such ... let alone publicized.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    I had an eyeopening situation that happened a coupla years back while driving....
    It has forever changed my level of alertness when driving and how I stop at intersections (never stopping directly even with another vehicle) and entering/exiting my vehicle...
    We gotta stay "awake"....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links