Morning at the dog park turns interesting. - Page 2

Morning at the dog park turns interesting.

This is a discussion on Morning at the dog park turns interesting. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good one Matt, sounds like you did the right things. The dog park here on the west side is not in the greatest location but ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Good one Matt, sounds like you did the right things. The dog park here on the west side is not in the greatest location but I think it maybe better than the one you were at!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

This is the second scenario that I've read on this board where it actually sounds like something really was about to happen. This stuff makes me want to have my license NOW and really freaks me out.

But, it must be asked - why are you walking your dog in such a bad area? You drove there, why not drive a little further to somewhere safer?

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    In the afterglow... (for lack of a better term)...
    It now occurs to me that the incident probably should be reported to the police, if that hasn't been done already.

They need to know what kind of activity is being attempted at this park; your report could save someone else, Matt.

How about it?

Good Matt and some great forward thinking on having a plan all ready for what to do with the dogs

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    In the afterglow... (for lack of a better term)...
    It now occurs to me that the incident probably should be reported to the police, if that hasn't been done already.
    It was reported, once I was able to get through on the phone.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Good job!

I wish you were able to get them a license plate number on the car. Were you? What kind of info were you able to give them? Will they contact you if they find the "suspects"? (I guess we can call them that here; we don't have a burden of proof or owe them a presumption of innocence!)

Great report, Matt. Sounds like you handled it very well. I hope that I would be on top of things as well.
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

This is certainly a story that the Brady Bunch wouldn't want to hear.

Sounds like something definitely was about to go down. And whatever is was, it would NOT have been in your best interest.

You handled it perfectly. Excellent job!

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Dog View Post
    This is certainly a story that the Brady Bunch wouldn't want to hear.
    I'm sure they'll be told. And, they won't "hear" it.

Matt, well done. You're alive. You kept your wits. You thwarted what was almost assuredly an attempt on your possessions or life. You were able to avoid any death, thereby avoiding a legal tangle. You put one more "gold star" on your file at the local PD as to your sensibilities and rationality, which is now on record. Can't imagine having done anything differently. Kudos!
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Glad youre ok Matt....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Good thinking on the "Dispatcher" bluff! Your Malinois would have scared off most!

You handled it perfectly. Excellent job!
    Ditto!!!

A textbook case, I'd say!!! Your were aware of your surroundings and those around you, your Spidey-senses tingled, you correctly assesed the situation (wolves looking for a to prey upon) and you immediately came up with a solid tactical response ( + + = ) to deal with your aggressors. Good job!
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

After thinking more about this post I couldn't help making some additional comments. Matt's awareness is to be highly commended. He noticed details about this vehicle during the first sighting that helped him to evaluate the situation as it developed and allowed him valuable extra time to think, make decisions, and take protective measures.

While cell phones are frequently dismissed as self-defense tools, a cell phone in this incident seems to have changed the dynamics of the situation in the Matt's favor. Many of us practice our draws because we envision that if we're ever involved in a self-defense situation it will involve a BG jumping out of the shadows 10 feet away requiring us to draw and shoot in 1.58 seconds.

Matt's incident illustrates that sometimes these situations develop slowly. In his case, slowly enough that he was able to call 911. Granted the call didn't go through at first, might have been a problem with 911 or a cell problem, but most of the time the call is going to go through. If you do get through there's no guarantee that they'll be there in time but if you mention that weapons are involved, that should serve to speed up the response. Just state your location, the problem, and hang up. State your location first so that if that's all you're able to say at least they know where you are. LEO's follow this same protocol.

In Matt's case, situational awareness, a cell phone, and one hand on his gun averted what was more than likely a serious crime about to happen. If the fight is on, a cell phone is of no use. But if it's a slowly developing situation, it can be a valuable tool.

In Matt's case, situational awareness, a cell phone, and one hand on his gun averted what was more than likely a serious crime about to happen. If the fight is on, a cell phone is of no use. But if it's a slowly developing situation, it can be a valuable tool.
    Couldn't agree more with what AZ Dog said. He sums it up. Matt did an excellent job. I have tried to dial 911 multiple times from my cell phone. Many times I get put on hold (in Columbus, OH), don't get through, dropped call, etc. One time I called about a drunk driver and they said they "couldn't help" me because it was not their jurisdiction. It is terrible. This is the main reason for a CCW license IMHO. Police can't be everywhere all the time.

Even if Matt got through and told the police all the details, police could show up 10-15 minutes later (at least in Columbus, OH). A lot could happen in that time period. With Matt's whits and calm thinking, it got him out of what could have been a nasty situation.

Good job Matt for noticing the dynamic environment surrounding you and reacting to it.

Senior Moderator
    Thanks for the many kind comments.

I've been giving it a bit of thought, and I think I was quite lucky. There have been many times in that park where I have been in Condition White, playing with the dogs and not keying on what was going on around me.

In all honesty, if they hadn't made that first slow pass and then come back, I might not have noticed them at all until their plan was far more developed.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links