Morning at the dog park turns interesting.

This is a discussion on Morning at the dog park turns interesting. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Took the dogs out to the fenced in dog park for some off leash play time. As is my usual custom in cooler weather, I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Morning at the dog park turns interesting.

Senior Moderator

Morning at the dog park turns interesting.

Took the dogs out to the fenced in dog park for some off leash play time. As is my usual custom in cooler weather, I was carrying my Kimber 1911 OWB with a spare mag on the belt, under a light, longish windbreaker.

The park is a square, with a 6-7 foot high chain link fence, with double gates on the south and east ends. The gates are separated by a short, narrow fenced in space, so you come in one gate, close it, and move to the next gate to get in / out.

There is a "time out" pen on the north side, along with another set of gates, but the north gates are locked. All four sides of the park are bordered by roads. A major road on the west side, and side streets on the other three. A small parking lot adjoins the park to the south.

The park is not in the best neighborhood.

Shortly after we arrive, an older 4 door sedan cruises by on the main road, and makes a slow circle around the park, heading back out onto the main road. In the initial pass, the car is occupied by two people.

A bit later, the car comes back, now with 4 young adult males on board, and makes another slow pass by the park. I am on the north end, retrieving a Malinois land mine, when I notice the car. The license plate, which was in the read window before, is no longer visible. We're now officially on Condition Orange.

The car stops briefly by the east gate, and one of the rear passengers gets out and stands by the gate, wearing a hooded sweatshirt and with his hands not visible in his pockets.

I get the dogs back to me, and move them toward the time-out pen. As I am doing this, the car moves to the south gate, stops and one of the other occupants exits the vehicle toward the gates.

Move to red-ish orange. Open jacket, retrieve cell phone, edge towards a large tree for cover, keeping distance and an eye on both subjects. The placement of the trees provides cover from the north and a bit from the west.

Contact at the east gate opens the first gate and enters the "airlock" space between the gates. Hands still in pockets. Contact at the south gates remains outside the gate.

I am closest to the guy coming through the east gate, so I look him directly in the eye, moving my hand back to the pistol (still concealed under the jacket) and ask him if I can help him, or if there is a message he would like to have passed on to the police dispatcher I was talking to.

He responds with a string of profanities, and heads back out. The car picks up both subjects and leaves.

I retrieve the dogs from the time-out pen, and return to my vehicle.

Where I call the police and give them descriptions - very happy that he bought my bluff in the park because the first call didn't go through.

I am not sure what these folks were planning, but I suspect it was not something in my best interests....

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like you handled it well Matt. What dog park are you referring to? I live in lakeland, but my GF lives in Lake Mary. Just curious where this place is at.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Bravo, Matt. Well done.

Now you may want to think about finding a different place to exercise those dogs (but it sticks in the craw to think we alter our routines because of goblins- while it is the prudent thing to do, it does seem like we're letting them win when we do so...)

pax
    Matt ~

Good job.

Interesting that you penned your dogs. What was your reasoning? (Not a criticism, just a question.)

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pax View Post
    Matt ~

Good job.

Interesting that you penned your dogs. What was your reasoning? (Not a criticism, just a question.)

pax
    I had previously considered what I would do if something went down in the park, and my thought then was if the dogs engaged a subject, then I would have to close the distance to the subject to get them out of harm's way. Also, I would not want the dogs to be used as an excuse by the subject - "You see, I was just minding my own business when these dogs attacked me, and then the owner attacked me".

And, of course, I love my pups, and I wanted to keep them out of harm's way.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by floridaguy911 View Post
    Sounds like you handled it well Matt. What dog park are you referring to? I live in lakeland, but my GF lives in Lake Mary. Just curious where this place is at.
    Sanford.

Kinda says it all.

Matt

pax
    Matt ~

Sounds like solid reasoning to me. I'd figured that your pups were probably just big ol' nice dogs, hadn't considered the other angles.

Thanks...

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Woah Matt 666 posts lookout!
    -Biker

VIP Member
    Good job Matt. Always keep both eyes open. I work in bad neighborhood and I always have to check out my surroundings since LEO's are very busy in this area.

Assistant Administrator
    It would appear Matt you took all best options there - nice work.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Good read and nice job of handling it !

Senior Moderator
    Sounds like you did everything right.

Thumbs up

Well done, Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Sanford.

Kinda says it all.

Matt

what did the guy say on the way out?

-ayan
    Last edited by CharlieMike; October 24th, 2006 at 01:24 PM. Reason: corrected a misspelling

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Wow. That is some scary !

We will never know what would have happened if you had not been armed, Matt, and that's probably for the best. I'm glad you were, and I'm glad you handled the situation so well.

You tried to actually call 911? You said he bought your "bluff," and that the call didn't go through. So you had immediately called 911 as you were getting ready for the possibility of drawing. That's good, too. Scary that your call didn't go through! Shows how important it is to have the actual GUN. So many people think that all they need is a phone with which to reach the police!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links