Why 7?

This is a discussion on Why 7? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Ragincajun Limiting the number of bullets in a magazine to 7effectively eliminates a tremendous percentage of guns that will be "legal" in ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Why 7?

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragincajun View Post
    Limiting the number of bullets in a magazine to 7effectively eliminates a tremendous percentage of guns that will be "legal" in NY. Thoughts?
    Maybe Cuomo carries a 1911?

Jim

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "Limiting the number of bullets in a magazine to 7effectively eliminates a tremendous percentage of guns that will be "legal" in NY."

You said it right there--it eliminates a tremendous number of guns!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Limiting the number of bullets in a magazine to 7effectively eliminates a tremendous percentage of guns that will be "legal" in NY. Thoughts?
    Probably because some people with a lot of influence have financial interests in Colt, Kimber, and Springfield Armory!
    OldVet, msgt/ret and phreddy like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    They could make the mag for one round for all I care. I am not going to jeopardize my family in a home defense situation by limiting the number of rounds my firearm can hold. MY FN 5.7x28 holds 20 rounds and 1 in the chamber. You better believe every one of those 21 rounds will be in that firearm for home defense. If I am CC, I usually carry a smaller firearm, which happens to hold less than 7 rounds, but if I choose to CC the larger firearm, it will still have its 21 rounds for self defense. I will be damned if some slimy piece of turd politician is going to make rules that risk my life. Somehow think that if I am dead, I will not be a happy camper knowing that I obeyed this crap.
    mg27 and olhippy like this.

7 - they put a bunch of paper slips with numbers on them in a hat, then drew one out to determine the mag capacity limit.

They accidentally grabbed the hat's size tag.

Good thing it wasn't a size 6 7/8.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Southern Indiana but have a permanent residence in South Coastal Texas
    I read on a news site earlier today that the N.Y. law is getting taken to court by some group. I`m at work and did not have a cahance to get the details. I`m getting old and slow.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you need, is big enough to take everything you have"--- Thomas Jefferson, 1778.

VIP Member
    5 and two to go on = 7
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

quick question just because I dont know, does this mean 7 on the person, or per gun cause I carry a back up, and it would be pretty silly to only carry a couple bullets in each gun! I know it might be a dumb question but I just wanted to ask

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soserius View Post
    quick question just because I dont know, does this mean 7 on the person, or per gun cause I carry a back up, and it would be pretty silly to only carry a couple bullets in each gun! I know it might be a dumb question but I just wanted to ask
    I will give you credit for at least asking. If you do not ask a question on literally anything, you can never expect an answer. To the point, and I apologize for my direct and cranky ways ( I am 71 and proud to be a cranky SOB), but why in the world would anyone give a rat's yada about how many rounds you have in your pocket be it loose or in a mag or mags? It is all about the firearm and its mag and its contents. My only question would be if you have say a 15 round mag with only 7 rounds in it, do you meet this restriction? I can see these A-holes essentially making it illegal to literally CC almost all semi autos that only function with mags designed for more than 7 rounds if the law is written to not allow a mag capable of having a capacity of more than 7 rounds. You can own the firearm but you cannot use the appropriate mag. As far as more than one firearm, I am not sure if there are states that will limit you to one CC firearm but, I believe in most if not all, you can CC with a primary and a back up firearm. We are talking magazines in a firearm and not rounds in your pocket, be them in a mag or not.

Because 7 is a lucky number. They think gun fights work out with one shot kills like in the movies. So in their minds 7 is more than enough. :)

Because the gun hating's fanatics are stupid! Sorry thats all i got. :)
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Come on....if you need more than 7 rounds, you need to take another shooting class. We all know that criminals stand still and never shoot back (just like paper targets) so in essence, all you will need is 3. But then you will probably be considered a cowboy because you shot him once in the head. Come to think of it, one to the heart is all you need, so why carry more than one round? Wow. Once you get going on this train of thought, it just keeps going. I should run for office as a liberal democRAT. I certainly qualify.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links