Security Committee at Work - Page 2

Security Committee at Work

This is a discussion on Security Committee at Work within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The company I work for is 30 feet from my bedroom into the office where I Concealed Carry all day in the comfort of my ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Security Committee at Work

The company I work for is 30 feet from my bedroom into the office where I Concealed Carry all day in the comfort of my home and work with my company provided High Speed Internet service using my company provided computer. They never see me and I never see them, but we are both fully functional and safe and I make a a bizzillion of $$$$.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    No Firearms sign are not legal as it's compant policy not the law.Like other posters have said the bad guys could careless about signage. Could someone shed some light why security guards can on;ly carry revolver with 38 special ammo as the largest caliber.Is this a state law?Could someone let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Stetson View Post
    No Firearms sign are not legal as it's compant policy not the law.Like other posters have said the bad guys could careless about signage. Could someone shed some light why security guards can on;ly carry revolver with 38 special ammo as the largest caliber.Is this a state law?Could someone let me know.
    Depends on the state. In North Carolina, the signs carry the weight of law. Here in Florida, they do not. If a person refuses to leave, then they are breaking the law of tresspassing.

I have no idea what you're talking about with security and .38s. The security company or employer can decide if they are armed or not and with what. If there were any limits, that would be state specific.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Re: Security Committee at Work

I work for a publicly owned Tertiary health care Institution. I'm signing up for the Violent Incident Training
    http://police.uiowa.edu/services/edu...ival-training/

There will be some enlightening or not at this session, I can assure you. I can only hope that it will fall onto the venue of the Board of Regents..
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Re: Security Committee at Work

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    A couple weeks ago we had a gunman enter our healthcare facility and demand drugs. As it turned out, the gun he had was plastic and no one was hurt. The man was arrested, but it shook a lot of people up.

I have since been recruited to be on the Safety and Security committee to critique the event, our policies, and come up with recommendations for actions, systems, processes, equipment, etc. I'm more than glad to be on this committee, because it becomes clear that most people don't have a clue.

The first item of discussion was "Call a Code Strong". Then I pointed out this code is for combative patient and lots of people will show up. We need a separate code for an armed person and the last thing you want is a ton of targets showing up and freaking the person out. Great way to escalate a situation. We need a unique code for armed response in which limited and specially trained people show up and everyone else secures patients and stays out of the halls. After a long discussion, they seemed to understand the rationale behind this strategy.

Another item was, "We've got 30 security cameras and we need 30 more costing X dollars." Then I asked, "Who is monitoring these cameras and who will monitor 30 more?" Answer: They're not monitored. So I point out that in essence if something goes down, this won't prevent anything but we'll have really good pictures and video. That's good evidence, but not really preventing anything or making anyone safer. Just helping the investigation after it's over. Still a good idea, but I'm pushing for some type of monitoring.

We talked about our security company and the fact that our guards are unarmed. After the meeting I had a sidebar with the boss and said, "We need to push our security company to have at least one trained armed guard on the premises. The only thing that can stop an armed attack is an equal and opposing force. We can either have that here or wait for it to show up after 911 is called." It seemed to resonate.

I also suggested locking down all of the non public entrances with employee badge reading locks and controlling public access points with metal detectors and having the equipment for visitors to check-in (copy of DL and a temporary badge that prints a decal on a laser printer with the visitors name and picture and where they are going).

In the end, I think we will have a lot of feel-good measures that says "we did something" and hopefully a couple of actual measures that could reduce the liklihood or minimize the impact. This is one time I'm actually glad to be on a committee.
    I used to run a security operations center for a multinational corporation. We had numerous work place violence incidents including an active shooter. I will shoot you a PM with what we had in place that might work for your location.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links