What if someone "makes you" CCWing, and treats you as a threat?

This is a discussion on What if someone "makes you" CCWing, and treats you as a threat? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good question for a good thread. While (as others point out) it's unlikely (most people who have the alertness and the cajones to take action ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What if someone "makes you" CCWing, and treats you as a threat?

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Good question for a good thread.

While (as others point out) it's unlikely (most people who have the alertness and the cajones to take action are carrying themselves), it could happen.

If I KNEW why he was accosting me (highly unlikely), and it was a physical thing, I'd do the retention thing and try to get as much space between the two of us as possible.

If I didn't know why he was assaulting me, and for all I knew some maniac was jumping me, there is a good chance that there would be a tragic outcome.

Lesson: Leave People the !@#$% alone.

If it was verbal, I'd just ignore him. Act like he (or she) just wasn't there.

2. Remove Ads

if someone freaks they can the police and someone ccwing knows people are allowed to carry, criminals don't use holsters. If where me in my state I would tell them to be more carefull.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Highly unlikely scenario.
    Anyone that attempts to randomly assault and lay unprovoked aggressive hands on my person gets treated exactly like any other attacker that needs to be quickly stopped by any means possible.
    Amen. You don't know their intentions, and I don't think it's the right time to negotiate.

If you tackle somebody with a gun, don't look TOO surprised when they shoot your stupid ass.

I really like the "Don't worry, I'm one of the good guys" response to an inquiry. Never needed it, since I've never been made (to my knowledge), but I suppose anything's possible.

Never been tackled by a concerned citizen, nor have I heard of such an occurrence. I think it's much, much more likely for an assault with criminal intent to take place. Unless I had some overt reason to think otherwise, I'd treat it as such and take appropriate defensive measures.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    If you tackle somebody with a gun, don't look TOO surprised when they shoot your stupid ass.
    That pretty well says it all, as far as I am concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotaranger View Post
    I'm guessing the likelihood of getting made is tempored by the chance they will assume your just an off-duty LEO.
    Exactly what I was thinking.

I know this is a bit off the topic, but I think this is one of the big problems with society today. Unfortunately people have developed the mindset that just CARRYING a weapon makes you a threat.

It's a sad product of people's inherent reliance on the government to protect them in all situations, they become scared of everything.
    "Life exists at a level of complexity almost beyond our ability to comprehend. It's a well known fact that if you try to take apart a cat to see how it works one of the first things you have on your hands is a non-working cat" - Douglas Adams

"All things are governed by law" - Hippocrates

Administrator
    As I've said before ~ When I was a young kid I was the victim of a random violent attack. I caught an icepick completely through my wrist which turned out to be a good thing since that prevented it from going through my heart...but, a bad thing since I couldn't take the job that I had just landed in the field of medical illustration.
    I had serious nerve damage & it took a long time for my hand movements to get back to normal. Not such a good thing for an artist. So I'll never be victim again.
    That incident really changed my life in many ways. It was good that it happened when I was that young because that is what sparked me into training defensively decently early in life. That also prompted me to start carrying as soon as I legally was able.

Just a reminder that when something happens...SOMETIMES it happens Very Fast...PLEASE be able to get to your firearm as quickly as possible.

As others have stated, this is a very unlikely scenario ... especially someone drawing down on you (obviously they would know about concealed handgun licenses).

If someone tacked me or otherwise tried to physically restrain me, the last thing I'm going to assume is that they are a good Samaritan trying to protect society from a "gun wielding maniac" (me). I'm more likely to assume I'm being robbed, so first thing I'd do is go into weapon retention mode (not even trying to draw). Once I felt I had my weapon secured and the idiot pinned I might ask him what the hell he thinks he's doing (but I wouldn't likely draw ... in that close it would turn it back into a fight to control my gun).

If he got me pinned and disarmed, once the cops show up his butts going to jail and I might even own his house before my lawyer's done with him.

If some bliss ninny calls in a "man with a gun" call on me, there will be a few tense seconds when the cops show up and then we'll all stand around and laugh at the bliss ninny

But again, this is unlikely ... most people that are observant enough to notice a gun are also people who are likely to know about CCW and will assume you're a cop anyway (to most people ... even cops ...holster=cop).

I'm sure some of you guys know who Standing Wolf is over on THR ... he packs a S&W 629 open carry every day (thats a big gun and he's a little guy) and he's had long conversations with people before they even notice he's wearing a gun (and even then, many don't ever notice).

Most people are so deeply in "condition white" its not funny,
    Last edited by Zundfolge; October 26th, 2006 at 11:31 PM.

Im Minnesota you can carry open if you like, it's talked about a lot at twincitiescarry.com.

Most people who do carry open seem to feel they could do it all the time and nobody would notice.

I choose not to carry open. My concern would be a anti gun type calling law enforcement and saying I was waving a gun around and they felt unsafe. Even with a witness that says I was not doing this, I don't care for the hassle.
    "The Army and the Navy are run like traditional military services. The Air Force is run like a corporation. But the Marine Corps is a religion." Navy Admiral

University of Science Music and Culture

SEMPER FI!

Quote Originally Posted by devilmutt View Post
    Most people who do carry open seem to feel they could do it all the time and nobody would notice.
    To say nothing of the fact that a BG that has seen a weapon can change tactics and be harder hitting immediately, as opposed to coming in softly. Takes away the surprise element that concealed-carry otherwise affords. To me, that's a great tactical disadvantage, despite the difference in time-to-draw.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I caught an icepick completely through my wrist which turned out to be a good thing since that prevented it from going through my heart...
    OUCH!
    When you are truly transformed into a warrior and have truly invested yourself into warriorhood, you want to be there. You want to be able to make a difference.
    From the essay "TRIBES" by Bill Whittle

I prefer to carry concealed and have never been made, but I occasionally open carry (legal in VA) and although I've never been tackled or even spoken to, I have gotten some "looks" from members of the public.

I work in a guns-free office. When it's time to leave, I put on my IWB tuckable holster and head for the car, where I holster the gun. If I am going anywhere but straight home, I return to the men's room (the building is not guns-free, only my office in the building is) and tuck in the shirt over the gun (tucking is not easily done well while seated in a car). Once every week, I leave work and go directly to a symphony orchestra rehearsal held at a public school. Since I know I'll just be untucking and unholstering when I get to the school, I just open carry during the trip. Well, the trip involves stopping at a fast food restaurant for a quick dinner. Two weeks ago I was eating my dinner and got up to refill my drink. I walked past a table where a young couple was sitting; I could see out of the corner of my eye that her head was tracking the gun on my hip as I passed by. After filling my cup, I turned around and they were both staring at me, mouths agape. I just smiled and walked past them again.

One week ago, I was eating my meal when eight state troopers sat down at the tables next to me. When I stood to put on my jacket and leave, I attracted eight pairs of wide opened, very interested eyes. I just nodded and went about my business.

Lead Moderator
    Lets not make this an Open vs. concealed carry debate. Thanks.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

OK, Moderator, give me a break. I wasn't trying to hijack the thread; just saying that members of the public don't react to guns the way the poster suggested, and that those of us who open carry are going to be a lot more familiar with public reaction to a gun than those or us who conceal carry exclusively. Whether they see your gun because you're open carrying or because they "make" your concealed gun, they may say something disapproving to you, give you a scared or dirty look, or say something to a store manager, but they're not going to jump on you.

Mostly, people want to know if you have a permit. I told a few "gun friendly" coworkers that I had gotten my carry permit. I should have kept my mouth shut, because now in meetings and discussions, if I raise an opposing opinion, someone will crack that I'll shoot someone if they don't agree with me (I've had to go to some of them individually to tell them to stop making it an office joke). In almost every case, the person finding out for the first time that I carry a gun outside of work simply asks "do you have a permit?" Sometimes they'll voice disapproval.

If someone were to tackle me simply because he sees my gun, I'll call the police and have him arrested for assault. And why would another CCW citizen ever have a problem with my carrying or draw down on me? We're all brothers in protecting ourselves against bad guys. Another CCW is more likely to give a nod of approval or just whisper in my ear that my gun is exposed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links