Scenario: My son\'s road rage incident

This is a discussion on Scenario: My son\'s road rage incident within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My son (20 years old) and a couple of other kids went from Phoenix to Heber, AZ to help one of the kids'grandparents paint their ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scenario: My son\'s road rage incident

DC Founder

Scenario: My son's road rage incident

My son (20 years old) and a couple of other kids went from Phoenix to Heber, AZ to help one of the kids'grandparents paint their house one weekend. Late Saturday night we got a phone call from him on his cell phone saying that he was at the sheriff\'s substation in Heber after being sideswiped and shot at.

Earlier in the day they had picked up another friend of one of the kids, in Heber, and his girlfriend and they had spent all day painting. At dark (9:30pm here in summer) they had turned on spotlights to continue painting. At 2:00am Sunday morning, they knocked off and went to take the local guy and his girlfriend home.

On the way to their homes, on the main highway through Heber, a vehicle came up behind them fast and stayed right on their bumper. At this point, he has a 4-dr 2000 Chevy Tracker (five seater), now loaded with five kids, all 18-19 years old. After a couple of minutes, the vehicle behind them (a white full sized pickup truck) started to blow around them. In the process of passing, the guy sideswiped him, knocking the side view mirror off and then pulled in front of him quick and started to slow down to an eventual stop, in the middle of the highway, no less. Thinking now that he has been involved in a traffic accident and has to stop and get the guy\'s insurance information, he stops about 10 feet behind the guy. Before he can get out of his car, three guys in the truck bail out of the pickup with handguns and prepare to shoot at him.

Luckily, he was in the highway right in front of a dirt road turning off to his right. He threw his car in reverse, slammed on the brakes (almost hitting a car that had pulled up behind him) and took a hard right onto the road with all three of the guys shooting at them. In the process, one of the guys shot his back tire and had hit the back window and shattered it, but it was still in place. Now, he has a flat, limping up a steep dirt road hill trying to get away from 3 BGs. While driving, he took a quick roll call to be sure everyone was alive and unhit and got the girl to stop screaming long enough to give him directions to the Sheriff\'s office. They arrived there only to find the office closed but beat on the door of the fire department next door. A load of firemen came out, called 911 and stayed with them while waiting for the Sheriff's department and DPS to arrive.

Soon afterward, the car that had been behind them when he stopped in the highway pulled up. They had come to the SD to turn the incident in as well. The man was visibly shaken and surprised that someone in his car had not been hit. After the guys took off from the scene, the guy picked up some stuff he saw fall out of theire truck, a bunch of beer cans and a holster. The guy and his wife had seen the whole incident.

When the Sheriff Deputy finally arrived, 45 minutes later, he said there had been reports of three "skinheads\" in a similar vehicle causing trouble all over the county that night. They took his back tire (with bullet in it) and the report and all went home safe that night.

When he got home and we talked about it, he said that he wished he was old enough to get his CCW. I told him that what he did (get away from them) was probably the right thing to do under the circumstances. Had he shot it out with them, odds were that someone in his car would have been shot or killed. I am surprised they weren\'t anyway. He may have gotten one or two of the BGs but also believe one of the kids would have taken a round. Had he had a weapon, what would have been the right thing to do?
    Last edited by Administrator; January 21st, 2005 at 10:58 PM.

2. Remove Ads

Jesus.

I\'m speechless..

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    It sounds to me like your kid is pretty level headed for his age.

I would imagine that my response would have been similar. However I would most likely have been a bit suspicious if the vehicle tailed me for a while and then sideswiped me. At any rate, I would have my hand on the weapon before the car stopped rolling if at all possible. There is never a reason to pull up so close to another vehicle in similar circumstances as to eliminate your escape route. If the vehicle behind him had been some more BG\'s your son may
    not have fared nearly as well.

This is another reason I prefer only large vehicles that will likely survive a ramming or two long enough to get away.

If this had been me and my wife, in one of our vehicles I would likely have told her to get as low as possible, and try to do the same myself.

Depending on possible escape routes, a \"J\" maneuver would be best option if you know how to do it. (I wish I had a place to practice, with a beater car) If that route was blocked as it was with your son, I might try to run down the guy/guys on the drivers side of the white truck. Even if they got out of the way they probably would be to busy to get off any accurate shots for a second or two. In any case, as soon as I could draw, the weapon would go to the wife. (assuming she hasn\'t already drawn her own.)

So very many possibilities.
    I like these scenarios. There hasn\'t been one yet where I haven\'t learned something new or had one of my assumptions challeneged. This has been fun and educational. Please keep them coming. Oh and Bumper, you ought to be proud of your son. (which I am sure you are already, just reminding you.) Many kids would have panicked and made the wrong decisions. It sound like he has had a good teacher.

I would definitely flee. 3 standing and me sitting inside my car is not very favorable for me. That is absolutely frightening that something like that would happen. I think what your son did was probably the only correct and safe thing to do. I\'m glad to hear everyone got out of there okay.

Bumper, give your son a copy of Sun Tzu\'s ART OF WAR. He did the right thing and I commend him for it.

\"When facing superior numbers it is wise to make a hasty retreat\" 1 gun v. 3 guns = superior numbers. I am glad your son got away unscathed.

Put as much distance between you and your attackers as quickly as possible if you are the inferior party.

~A

VIP Member
    Wow, Bumper. I\'m glad your son and his friends made it through this ordeal. :O I hope they catch those morons.

I would\'ve fled, too - gun or not.

I lived in Pulaski, TN for 10 years - a town that has the unfortunate history of being the birthplace of the KKK. The Klan gets their permit to march twice a year, and during one rally, a bunch of skinheads showed up. They walked around the square, glaring at everyone and everything, trying to find a fight. Nasty group. And they\'re always in groups, because they\'re only tough in groups.

On an old Startreck there is a quote I like \"Only a fool fights his battle in a burning building.\" Your son did the right thing getting out of dodge asap.
    Read a similar story about a guy that had a run in with some skinheads, and he had a full sized PU truck. they chased him and his gir friend for several miles untill he turned in to his place of business..... He was a class 3 dealer for HK when they pined him with gun fire he used his samples to return the favor. Several years, and $50,000 in legal fees later he was found clear of any wrong doing. Guess is depends on the Proc. Att. Lets see truck load of drunken and armed skin heads with a big list of priors, shooting at you.... maybe the thought they didn\'t mean any harm.:realmad:

Damn Bumper glad everyone is alright, what are ya\'ll doing out there in AZ, Seariously though I tell my wife to alway\'s walk or sit on my left side since I carry on the right and I alway\'s tell her that if I shove her hard that means to get down and out of the way.

In the car I tell her to duck down in the seat and not to get up until I say so or if I was to get hit and could not keep fireing and throw her the gun she will get up and keep fireing until I can get back into the fight or I can drive away to someplace safer.

Yup, he did the right thing by getting out of there. To take on three guys with guns out would be a really big risk, no way would i ever take on three shooters, with guns already drawn, unless i had now way out then i would have no choice.

Your son can legally carry open here in AZ. He did the right thing, and showed excellent judgement. Well done. Hopefully these two scum will soon be guests of mine....

There is no way his actions could have been better. IMO he saved lives. Having a gun would not have improved what he did at all.

I usually carry two or three guns, plus a long gun in the truck. My actions would have been similar to your sons. He is to be commended.

DC Founder
    He is a pretty level headed kid (he always has been) and yes, I am proud of him. I think he handled a stressful situation extremely well.

He is like a cat with nine lives, though, and he has now lost two of them. He was almost in an even more dangerous situation a year or so earlier when he worked at a Jack In The Box restaurant here. Some of you may have read about that incident as a couple of losers walked in and killed everyone that was working that night. He had gotten off work 20 minutes earlier and believes that may have seen the guys that did it sitting in a car outside watching the place when he left to come home. I believe they killed four people that night. They caught the guys several weeks later hiding out in a campground in the mountains east of our area. armoredman probably watches over them today.

That boy\'s guardian Angle must be on overtime! One more thought on his corectness, it\'s a lot easer to patch bullet holes in sheet metal than it is in people. N Buy that boy a level 2 vest sounds like he needs it.

Kahrman
    Nothing is as scarey as real life. You son is a lucky guy :kay:

100% Correct Response!

The kid is very level headed and he reacted well in this situation especially having the thought to check for casualties in his car. Excellent. Yes, I think I\'d have split as well, but I never forget I\'m sitting in a lethal weapon and it can be brought into play fairly quickly and easily. I usually wait until my vehicle is out of warranty and then I have the front and rear bumbers reinforced and the radiator protected. A buddy of mine was on vacation in LA and got lost in a bad neighborhood. He entered an alley and suddenly some gang bangers pushed a heavy green dumpster into his path and one behind him. Classic ambush. Too bad he\'s a currently serving airborne ranger and was driving a 4x4 Suburban. When he blasted out of the kill zone, he angled the truck in such a way that the suddenly fast moving dumpster mashed a bunch of thugs against the alley wall. He never stopped. But he gave me the idea about reinforced bumpers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links