Small town USA

This is a discussion on Small town USA within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife came in yesterday to show me a post from an acquaintance on FB. The lady had a knock on the door at 11 ...

Thread: Small town USA

Small town USA

My wife came in yesterday to show me a post from an acquaintance on FB. The lady had a knock on the door at 11 am to find another young lady at her door. When she opened it the young lady stated that she run out of gas and was wondering if the homeowner either had gas or could take the young lady to a gas station. The young lady went on to state that her grandmother was in the van outside waiting. Somehow the homeowner had the insight not to fall for this attempt to either do harm or rob her. She watched as the young lady approached the van and lo and behold a rather large man came from the sliding door walked around to meet the young lady and proceed to get back in the van and drive away. The homeowner called the local pd but the van had evidently left the area. I told my wife to never open her door for someone she does not know.

2. Remove Ads

Everyone has cell phones these days. Even people who dont work. They can call someone to help them.

I always have my pistol with me when strangers are at my door. If that man had approached after the lies that lady told he would of been staring at the business end of my 45. I hope your wife's acquaintance will get some sort of protection after this scare!

This happened in a cul de sac at the back of a subdivision in a town that we call a bedroom community. Yes it can happen anywhere. The only defense most people have is the lock on there door and there ability to use common sense. As for me well I have just a little more defense than that.

Sic the dogs on 'em! (it helps to have several LARGE, capable dogs).
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by sebring View Post
    Everyone has cell phones these days. Even people who dont work. They can call someone to help them.
    Those that don't work get free cell phones from Obama - remember the lady that voted for Obama because he gave out free cell phones?
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Wow you never know when something like that will happen. And it can happen anywhere. Glad they are ok and up on their situational awareness. Stay safe and carry on.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sebring View Post
    Actually, that's not true. There are many who have no phone except their land line.

Sounds like your wife's acquaintance handled the situation well. The next things she should do is buy a good defensive firearm and learn how to use it, assuming she doesn't already own one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    Actually, that's not true. There are many who have no phone except their land line.
    I would guess that is personal choice.
    NRA Patron Member
    GOA Life Member
    Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.

Links